CAMTS requirements for flying

mct601

RN/NRP
CAMTS states three years experience as a paramedic to fly....

out of curiosity, does anyone know of services who may bend this? I am just over two years of experience with an associate's in applied science, FP-C (as of today), and CCT experience. As well as major educational and supervisor recommendations. I have no problem waiting until December, just wondering what others think. And I know every area and service will be different...

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
A program is not required to follow every CAMTS requirement to the letter. Rather, they are required to be in "substantial compliance" with them. This means that they meet most of the requirements, and the ones they don't are either minor or they have a good reason for deviating from the requirements. Hiring a paramedic or two who had 2 years of experience instead of 3 would likely not jeopardize a HEMS programs' accreditation at all.....unless they were already bending the requirements in other areas.

That said, competition is keen enough in most places that there probably aren't many programs who are going to look at a two-year paramedic. Not when there are far more applicants than there are openings, many of whom have experience that far exceeds the minimums.

Last edited:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Most flight services I looked at wouldn't even talk to me about employment even though I'm 2 years 11 months. I lucked out and found a flight team that bent that even though they're going for CAMTS accreditation.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm his girlfriend. The company had fatality 6 months ago. Quite frankly, I'm not excited to see him flying. Too much stress for me and I have zero support here anyways. But, that never mattered very much to him.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423699086.446314.jpg

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm his girlfriend. The company had fatality 6 months ago. Quite frankly, I'm not excited to see him flying. Too much stress for me and I have zero support here anyways. But, that never mattered very much to him.
:confused:o_O So let me get this straight. @evilmidget2015a you are @TransportJockey girlfriend? You talk in the past tense, as if you have broken up (but that never mattered much to him). Also, hell of a way to make an entrance onto a forum. First post says his flight service has fatalities, second post purports you are in a relationship with him that isn't going so well. :confused:o_O

evilmidget2015a

Forum Probie
:confused:o_O So let me get this straight. @evilmidget2015a you are @TransportJockey girlfriend? You talk in the past tense, as if you have broken up (but that never mattered much to him). Also, hell of a way to make an entrance onto a forum. First post says his flight service has fatalities, second post purports you are in a relationship with him that isn't going so well. :confused:o_O
Not like that. Still together, live together actually. This job he got is just getting to me. The stress. I have no family nor friends to support me or anything so it's gonna be very difficult. But, I'll just have to deal with it I guess.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I may be reading this the wrong way, and I hope that's the case... She may or may not have made an interesting entrance, but you jumping in about their relationship isn't cool...

Last edited:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The Elite crash was the result of inattention on the part of the airport fuel team. Fixed wing ems is very safe

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
For what it's worth, midget, you are not alone. I don't fly or want to fly because my wife is very opposed to it.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm not too thrilled about my wife trying to fly, but it's what she wants so I'm supportive of it. Then again, she's not thrilled about me going on raids, so I guess we're even... Lol

evilmidget2015a

Forum Probie
I'm not too thrilled about my wife trying to fly, but it's what she wants so I'm supportive of it. Then again, she's not thrilled about me going on raids, so I guess we're even... Lol
I'm scared. I honestly am. And it's not like I grew up here or anything so I have absolutely zero support on board. Nobody asks me how I'm doing or anything. It's just him. All my family and friends are on the east coast.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
My wife just says if I "check out early" she is going to stuff me and put me in the corner so she can yell at me for checking out early. Kinda creepy but I love her!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm scared. I honestly am. And it's not like I grew up here or anything so I have absolutely zero support on board. Nobody asks me how I'm doing or anything. It's just him. All my family and friends are on the east coast.
So how have you been doing, miss midget? Congrats on whatever new job that was [emoji13]

evilmidget2015a

Forum Probie
So how have you been doing, miss midget? Congrats on whatever new job that was [emoji13]
Honestly? I'm stressing out. Between trying to keep the puppies from ripping each others throats out, almost failing at my new job as a waittress, and worrying about his new job. I just had such a crappy year last year, I don't want a repeat of it. Thanks by the way.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Well hopefully it gets better for you this year :)