California EMT-B?

Cybil

Forum Ride Along
Few questions for some one who doesn't know much about California EMS, Any help is appreciated.

I plan on taking the EMT-B course in about 6 months, I'm waiting that long because I've got some other things to sort out first, But as I come from a less than wealthy family ill probably end up getting a student loan to pay for the course, I've been hearing very mixed things from various sources so I figured id try here, What are the chances of me managing to get a EMS job as an EMT-B and what should I expect?

Obviously I plan on moving through the ranks to Paramedic at some point, I plan on taking the EMT-I course part time after I pay off all (or at least most) of my student loan, But my issue here is that I'll need a somewhat steady income first.

So basically my questions are, Whats the employment rate (if any) for an EMT-B in Sacramento, California and will the upgrade to EMT-I increase my chances of being hired at all?

Few questions for some one who doesn't know much about California EMS, Any help is appreciated.

I plan on taking the EMT-B course in about 6 months, I'm waiting that long because I've got some other things to sort out first, But as I come from a less than wealthy family ill probably end up getting a student loan to pay for the course, I've been hearing very mixed things from various sources so I figured id try here, What are the chances of me managing to get a EMS job as an EMT-B and what should I expect?

Obviously I plan on moving through the ranks to Paramedic at some point, I plan on taking the EMT-I course part time after I pay off all (or at least most) of my student loan, But my issue here is that I'll need a somewhat steady income first.

So basically my questions are, Whats the employment rate (if any) for an EMT-B in Sacramento, California and will the upgrade to EMT-I increase my chances of being hired at all?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but California is saturated with EMT's, and the State of California doesn't recognize the EMT-Intermediate level.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but California is saturated with EMT's, and the State of California doesn't recognize the EMT-Intermediate level.

Actually, California does recognize an intermediate level. Prior to 2010 they were called EMT-IIs (Two, EMT-B was technically EMT-I (one)). Starting July 2010, EMT-IIs became Advanced EMTs. The problem is that they aren't used outside of very rural areas. I believe that San Diego was trying to get some AEMT programs up, but you really aren't going to find any AEMTs or AEMT programs in any sort of populated areas.

OP
OP
C

Cybil

Forum Ride Along
Well that's fine, Ill be probably be moving out to Tennessee after my loan is paid off, I guess i'll just continue advancement there.

So should I assume due to the over saturation it would be hard/impossible to find work as a EMT-B?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well that's fine, Ill be probably be moving out to Tennessee after my loan is paid off, I guess i'll just continue advancement there.

So should I assume due to the over saturation it would be hard/impossible to find work as a EMT-B?

It ebbs and flows. Sometimes there are reputable companies begging for EMTs, sometimes they won't hire for months at a time. In the bigger counties (i.e. Los Angeles), the less reputable companies are always hiring... and there's a reason for that. 911 jobs, however, are always hard to come by. Interfacility transport jobs, can be much easier to get and can act as a stepping stone to 911 jobs.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Where in California? Northern and Southern are quite different.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Why do you think you need a loan? I took my course at a community college. It was about $350 plus books. All said and done about $500. And I qualified for a scholarship from my college and they paid the tuition, so really I only paid for books.

OP
OP
C

Cybil

Forum Ride Along
Why do you think you need a loan? I took my course at a community college. It was about $350 plus books. All said and done about $500. And I qualified for a scholarship from my college and they paid the tuition, so really I only paid for books.

My course total, Including books is $850
Combined with a few other things I need to do before I get certified im looking at at least $1269+

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Combined with a few other things I need to do before I get certified im looking at at least $1269+

Well thats not the most I've heard of. But community college fees have skyrocketed since I took my course a few years ago. Regardless, best of luck to you.

14gauge

Forum Ride Along
I only know a little about Northernmost Ca. Yes,we have plenty of certified EMT's. However,as with any occupation there are very few exceptional ones. Become an exceptional one and you will find work. The cost you mention does seem high for someone that does not have monetary means. Perhaps you have not spoken to a counselor at your community college and have only read the printed cost? There used to be cost exceptions for low income students.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies

I probably spent around a grand between signing up for the course and receiving my first EMT-I ticket in Santa Cruz County. It does add up, especially all those damned background checks...