CA EMT starting salary- job applications

JagWar

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone!

I wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on the tricky job application question of "salary desired".

I looked up average salaries for California and came up with the Bureau of Labor Statistic website (unfortunately I can't paste the link because I'm under the posting threshold).

and a figure of roughly $15 per hour.

Would this be a fair amount to ask for on a job application for a first-time EMT fresh out of school? If not, what would you suggest? Just looking for a realistic figure that doesn't seem ludicrously high (or ridiculously low) considering my lack of EMT experience in the field.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
J

JagWar

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone!

I wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on the tricky job application question of "salary desired".

I looked up average salaries for California and came up with this site: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes292041.htm

Would this be a fair amount to ask for on a job application for a first-time EMT fresh out of school? If not, what would you suggest? Just looking for a realistic figure that doesn't seem ludicrously high (or ridiculously low) considering my lack of EMT experience in the field.

Thanks in advance!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah that is pretty high for most of the areas in CA. You're looking at minimum wage to 10 an hour for the most part.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For pay put "Open".

In CA as an EMT you are lucky to make $12/an hour. Most companies are $9-$11 per hour.

OP
OP
J

JagWar

Forum Ride Along
Yeah I tried writing "negotiable" but the PDF only allows me to fill in that question with a number. Guess I'll try with 10 or 11, thanks DesertEMT66! And Luke 31 who answered in the other post.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Duplicate threads merged and moved to appropriate forum.

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone!

I looked up average salaries for California and came up with this site: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes292041.htm

Thanks in advance!

I noticed that the link you provided groups EMTs, along with Paramedics. I think paramedics would see closer to $15/hour versus EMTs at the realistic rate of $8 - $11/hour.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Most companies pay minimum wage, or a little more. There are few exceptions. In my area, 911 EMTs are started at $17.25/hour.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
in southern california you can expect to make $8-9 an hour at a 911 company and roughly $9-10 an hour for IFT companies..