Ca Ambulance DL

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
How long after passing the written exam did your actual Ambulance Driver License come in the mail? I passed my written exam in September 2012 and I *STILL* haven't received my License. I've sent off two letters requesting it and still haven't heard or received anything. :glare:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It took them about 5 months for mine.

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
How long after passing the written exam did your actual Ambulance Driver License come in the mail? I passed my written exam in September 2012 and I *STILL* haven't received my License. I've sent off two letters requesting it and still haven't heard or received anything. :glare:

It was three weeks for me maybe four. But I think you're suppose to actually apply for the card and pay a fee, they don't just send it right after you pass the NREMT.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It was three weeks for me maybe four. But I think you're suppose to actually apply for the card and pay a fee, they don't just send it right after you pass the NREMT.

The only payments you have to do are for the LiveScan and for the actual test itself. After you pass the test and turn in your medical examiner card they automatically send it off.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

Dang, 8 months? Did you get your temporary license? If mail correspondence isn't working I'd say make an appointment at the DMV and go down and talk to them in person.

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
The only payments you have to do are for the LiveScan and for the actual test itself. After you pass the test and turn in your medical examiner card they automatically send it off.

Oh right right! I was thinking of the Emt card for some reason

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Dang, 8 months? Did you get your temporary license? If mail correspondence isn't working I'd say make an appointment at the DMV and go down and talk to them in person.

I got real sick in Nov/Dec/Jan, so I wasn't pressing the state to send me my License. When it hadn't arrived by the end of March, I was getting perturbed, so I sent off a letter in April, and another one in May to try to find out what the hold-up was/is. The letter I sent off in April was replied to, and it stated they needed my CDL number to look up why my certificate was not sent. I re-sent the letter, with my CDL number, at the beginning of May. The only paperwork (on the Ambulance Certificate) I got was my receipt stating I had paid for and passed the written exams (I had to re-up my Class C and my M1 at the same time I applied for the Ambulance Certificate). I really don't think going to my local DMV is going to do much, since the Ambulance Cert is processed/mailed from the state capitol.

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
I got real sick in Nov/Dec/Jan, so I wasn't pressing the state to send me my License. When it hadn't arrived by the end of March, I was getting perturbed, so I sent off a letter in April, and another one in May to try to find out what the hold-up was/is. The letter I sent off in April was replied to, and it stated they needed my CDL number to look up why my certificate was not sent. I re-sent the letter, with my CDL number, at the beginning of May. The only paperwork (on the Ambulance Certificate) I got was my receipt stating I had paid for and passed the written exams (I had to re-up my Class C and my M1 at the same time I applied for the Ambulance Certificate). I really don't think going to my local DMV is going to do much, since the Ambulance Cert is processed/mailed from the state capitol.

Wow I told this to one of the instructors and he said the person was probably not CA and that it takes about a month.

I see now you are in CA. Can I ask what DMV or at least the county you went to. I want to avoid that one.

Can people from CA chime in on the average time it takes to receive the CA Ambulance drivers license?

Kemma

Forum Ride Along
What does the actual CA Ambulance drivers certificate look like? Do you keep it with you in your wallet or is it just a piece of paper. I have my temp

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It looks exactly like the temp. Just instead of pink it is white. It's physically a white piece of paper. I have mine in my wallet with my EMT, CPR, and medical green card.

Kemma

Forum Ride Along
The first part of the handbook is where all the questions come out of. Just read it over and over.

epikmonolith

Forum Probie
The first part of the handbook is where all the questions come out of. Just read it over and over.

so is chapter 4 where it stops?

i just spent 4 hours at the DMV (no appointment cause i wanted to do drop in) to find out that my livescan i already did for EMT does not count.
most of the workers there rarely do ambulance certs.

on the medical form 51 make sure you guys get the UNCORRECTED vision value in addition to CORRECTED if you wear glasses/contacts.
my doc left it out and i asked him and he said it was not necessary - only for me to find out at the DMV that i ended up needing it, SMH!

so apparently we have to do livescan fingerprinting twice - one for the EMT card with the state and one for DMV for ambulance cert...unless i messed up and could've killed two birds with one stone somewhow. this is getting to be real expensive!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
so apparently we have to do livescan fingerprinting twice - one for the EMT card with the state and one for DMV for ambulance cert...unless i messed up and could've killed two birds with one stone somewhow. this is getting to be real expensive!

Nope, that's pretty much how it works

OP
OP
TomP

TomP

Forum Crew Member
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to do another one for a job app. Get used to getting them done and having to pay every time.

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to do another one for a job app. Get used to getting them done and having to pay every time.

Exactly! Every time you need a Live Scan for anything it is only good for that one specific thing. I spoke to a paramedic that said at one point he did almost a dozen Live Scans in a week for various things.

I had to do one to get my San Diego County certification, even thought I already have my state certification and a different county certification.... and to top it all off, I needed to have another one done for my new employer.

I had to pay for one of the two...

It's no big deal though, it's all part of the job search/securing a job.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
It took them about 5 months for mine.
Wow I told this to one of the instructors and he said the person was probably not CA and that it takes about a month.
Dragged my butt out to the DMV today, and was told it was *MY* fault my ambo license didn't arrive, because I had two different addresses. One is my physical/residential address, and the other is my mailing address. I was also told it takes about four months for the paperwork to be processed. Finally, I got to speak to a supervisor, and she said all my paperwork was still at the other DMV where I took the test, and that I'd have to go back to that one to find out what the hold up is. :angry: :glare: Tomorrow is going to be a L-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-N-G day! Will have several books with me.

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
I was speaking to one of our skills instructors and he said he has never received his permanent ambulance drivers license and has been using his temp for 2 years. I guess it doesn't really matter. If i don't receive my permanent but can use the temp then I don't really care.

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
I went back out to the closer DMV (the one I tested at), and I found out why I never got my license. The DMV DIDN'T SEND OFF THE PAPERWORK TO SACRAMENTO!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: What the :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: is up with that?!? Oy! Just grinds my gears!!