C.H.A.R.T.E.D - What does it stand for?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
So we got into a discussion at work tonight, and apparently everyone has been taught different versions of CHARTED. The "TED" part is where the disagreement is.

Version 1

T: Transport - How the patient was transported, by whom etc.
ED: End destination - Where you ended up.

Version 2

E: Exceptions/Exclusions - Did you exclude anything or were there any exceptions to protocols.
D: Destination - Where you ended up.

Version 3

E: Evaluation - What made you decide to transport to that facility.

So what version do you guys use, or do you use a different one?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Never heard of C.H.A.R.T.E.D

Soundss nifty though. We just got taught SOAP

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Never heard about the TED part of CHART.

Never liked SOAP or CHART anyhow.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We use ACHART

(arrival, as in "Arrived to find 2 vehicle, rear end MVC with all occupants out of vehicles." or "Arrived to find pt sitting on couch [laying in bathroom floor, sitting at kitchen table]")

Puts in a little scene report right there at the beginning. I've never heard of the TED part, but it's cool. I usually include a little destination thing at the end of the T section.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It's more commonly known as DCHARTE
Dispatch
C/C
Hx
Assessment
Treatment (rx)
Transport
Exceptions

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
It's more commonly known as DCHARTE
Dispatch
C/C
Hx
Assessment
Treatment (rx)
Transport
Exceptions

How does the exceptions section read when there are none? Do you skip it, or do you write that there were none? What do the QA people like to see in that section?

Personally, I like the QA people (ahem, me....) to have to read the PCR to find out how I deviated from protocol, but I could see how the thought process would flow if the people had to acknowledge and justify appropriate deviations from "normal" in their report.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
How does the exceptions section read when there are none? Do you skip it, or do you write that there were none? What do the QA people like to see in that section?

Personally, I like the QA people (ahem, me....) to have to read the PCR to find out how I deviated from protocol, but I could see how the thought process would flow if the people had to acknowledge and justify appropriate deviations from "normal" in their report.

If I don't have anything to put in it, I leave it out. On my report, you won't find the letters DCHART on it at all to designate sections. I use it as a rough guide to the format, but not a hard set thing.
I do tend to use E for things like equipment failure, protracted scene time explanations, response delays, diversions, things like that. But I can count on one hand the times I've actually used it in a report.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
My $.02 worth

Version 2

E: Exceptions/Exclusions - Did you exclude anything or were there any exceptions to protocols.

Out of all the choices, I like version 2 the best. I use another variation called LCHARTI

L: Location
C: Chief Complaint
H: Hx of Present illness/injury
A: Assessment
R: treatment
T: transport
I: impression

Anto

Forum Probie
ICHART

incident
chief complaint
history
assessment
Rx - treatment
Tx - transport

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
So in short, there really is no standard CHARTED method that is universal, like SOAP.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm going to have to look into this. I hate SOAP.

JPINFV

Gadfly
SOAP is great, if you do it properly (i.e. the sub headings) and have enough space. The problem is most people don't do it properly...