Brady EMS 12th edition makes me question my training

BLSSam

Forum Ride Along
I recently moved states and have begun the arduous reciprocity process. I found out I have to take the NREMT cognitive portion so I've been doing a bit of review just to make sure I'm all up to date. In my review I encountered this lovely question (question 18)
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG
where they seem to be saying if an AED gives you a no shock advised alert you should recheck the pulse and not immediately resume CPR.

This is news to me I was always under the impression you should start pumping the chest the second you get a no shock advised, but now I am questioning everything I know. If it said you are on your third No shock advised sure then you recheck and I've seen local protocols say after the second NSA you should recheck but now I got that last minute test anxiety and have to know the right answer!

Any help for my stupid EMT-B *** would be appreciated haha

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I hope that was intended hyperbole...

As to the question, what its getting at is to verify that they're actually pulseless. Since the machine can't distinguish PEA from a perfusing rhythm, they're suggesting confirming its a pulseless rhythm. That does go against what AHA recommends, though.

One thing that you have to realize is that medicine is rarely black and white- it's all different shades of grey. There are numerous opinions and often several correct/acceptable ways to do things.

OP
OP
BLSSam

BLSSam

Forum Ride Along
I hope that was intended hyperbole...

As to the question, what its getting at is to verify that they're actually pulseless. Since the machine can't distinguish PEA from a perfusing rhythm, they're suggesting confirming its a pulseless rhythm. That does go against what AHA recommends, though.

One thing that you have to realize is that medicine is rarely black and white- it's all different shades of grey. There are numerous opinions and often several correct/acceptable ways to do things.

So when I'm taking the NREMT exam tomorrow if I were to see this exact question you would go with check the pulse?

Also try explaining that nuance to a CAT machine, I'm not new to the field this just threw me in loop. And no hyperbole, I was trained with the AHA association guidelines for defibrillation and this made me question if I was recalling my training correctly haha don't read to much into it!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'd honestly have probably answered continue CPR, especially since NREMT tends to follow AHA. Whether thats right or wrong, I wouldn't stress it too much. You're not going to fail registry because of a single question.

OP
OP
BLSSam

BLSSam

Forum Ride Along
I'd honestly have probably answered continue CPR, especially since NREMT tends to follow AHA. Whether thats right or wrong, I wouldn't stress it too much. You're not going to fail registry because of a single question.

Yeah good point I tend to over think things on tests and am pretty committed to knowing protocols 100% accurately so this just kinda threw me in a loop. Thanks for the help man!