Votes: 15 83.3%
  • VAN

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I worked for a service that evaluated different types, did crew polls, and went with Type III mods for BLS and ALS.

The company struggled financially and went back to Type II rigs for BLS units.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would take a new vanbulance over a new Type I/III rig.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If you're running a BLS agency, or have a BLS fleet, then vans are perfectly reasonable. For ALS services I think boxes should be the standard.
Many years ago, I discussed this very concept with my operations manager. We were a ALS agency that had boxes for BLS 911, ALS 911, and RN CCT/911, vans for BLS IFT, and were beginning to transition our ALS crews to SUVs (by state regulations, BLS transported everyone, if the patient was ALS, they hopped into the BLS truck; exceptions were made if BLS and ALS were the same agency, but that was not the norm).

I said why not put ALS in a van? for the rare times that you did need to transport, you had the ability to, and they were cheaper than a box, considering 98% of the time if you were treating, the truck was functioning as a flycar, in transports that lasted less than 30 mintues. now compare than to BLS IFT: with my 6'3" frame, sitting on the bench seat (which was curved upwards) for long distance transports of over an hour one way, can you see why many of us needed to stretch after the run? But apparently he wouldn't even consider it, because he wasn't going to put ALS in a van (likely due to the objections from the providers).

I've worked cardiac arrests in vans (and had one person who coded in transit), they are tight quarters when you have extra people in the back. But there are still plenty of places in the US that run with a single person in the back for all calls, or 2 at the most (a provider and a trainee).

With scoop and run becoming more of a thing of the past, how many people do we really need in the back of a truck?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I will also add that for our more rural and middle of no where transports (when 60 to 180 minute transport times are routine, which is an area that I have never worked in), the more ergonomic the back of the ambulance is, the better it is for the provider's bodies.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I work now in a place (FT) that has Type I, 4 X 4; but 75% of our roads are dirt and gravel.
PT we use international trucks, and I hate driving them, they feel too top heavy; and I drove a 22' Penske 1300 miles to Texas earlier this year, which was more comfortable to drive than the ambulances.
My old job we had Vans and Type I's. I didn't really like the Vans, except the Sprinter Vans. They were great to go out of town in. They got 20 mpg; and I could stand up and walk out the back without ducking (6'2" tall). Then the next day would hit my head in something else.

You get used to what you have. Boxes have more room. Vans don't; vans aren't as comfortable but are less expensive.

deadhead

Forum Crew Member
We're running 95% Type III mods because they're required in our 911 service contracts. Our vans are great for our exclusive IFT business. However, mods are still our #1 choice because they give us flexibility to run both 911 and general transport calls. The other benefit of having them is financial. They help us save dollars. When we remount a unit on a new chassis and utilize the box that already exists it saves the time and money and the money we save, which can run in the 10's of thousands can be used for other needed equipment upgrades or enhancements. At end of the process, we still end up with a quality product, nearly the same as we would if we purchased completely new unit.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Sprinter if I have a choice.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I probably have some bias since I've mostly worked in a box, but I prefer them. The one thing I liked about the vans when I worked in them was that they felt like a smoother ride.

OP
OP
FirstResponder

FirstResponder

Forum Probie
I probably have some bias since I've mostly worked in a box, but I prefer them. The one thing I liked about the vans when I worked in them was that they felt like a smoother ride.
The vans are a much smoother ride, for sure. That's about it though. Not much room to work with in the patient compartment and I also feel like drivers out on the road aren't as quick to yield for a van when it's responding lights & sirens as opposed to a box truck. Maybe it's because of the size of the vehicle, less emergency lights & flashers...who knows.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I started off in a van and enjoyed them. We then switched to boxes and I also enjoyed them. After working HEMS in my current airframe I feel like I have so much room when I pick up a shift in a van or box.