Book question

leoemt

Forum Captain
One of my interests in the EMS field is EKG interpretation. As a Basic I have no real need to learn about EKG's. However, I am constantly given strips by Medics and Doctors and would like to know what I am looking at.

I have been looking for a book to self teach me some stuff on EKG's and 12 leads. However, I have been noticing that a lot of these books say in the description "updated for 2010 guidelines".

Obviously treatments will change with improvements in medicine. Does the interpretation change though? For someone who is looking to learn from an awareness aspect and not a treatment aspect is it important to get a current book?

This is the book I have been looking at http://www.buyemp.com/product/basic...-management-text-and-pocket-reference-package

Anyone have other recommendations?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Good for teaching yourself basic rhythm interpretation:

Walraven

Good for learning 12-leads:

Dubin (considered the bible for 12 leads, but lacks practice strips for reenforcement)

Garcia (also great for 12 lead and with plenty of practice strips)

No, the rhythms don't change with AHA updates. The books you're looking at are likely referring to treatment options, which none of these three contain.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Dubin and Walraven are both good. Buy the 6th Ed of Dubin... And any edition of Walraven as that's just practice strips.

Also, Tim Phalen's "12 Lead ECGs in the Acute MI" is good. It's old, but will teach you STEMI mimics and some other goodies

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
As a fellow EMT who wanted to learn more about 12-leads, I've found that understanding the A&P behind it helps immensely. The EMT course I took did a good job at covering the A&P for the EMT level, but it's really not enough to *really* understand EKGs, from what I can tell based on reading EMT-P curricula (curriculae?).

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think for someone who is just starting with EKGs, learning the basic cardiac anatomy and the conduction pathways is a good start. Dubin does a pretty good job with that in his book.

OP
OP
L

leoemt

Forum Captain
As a fellow EMT who wanted to learn more about 12-leads, I've found that understanding the A&P behind it helps immensely. The EMT course I took did a good job at covering the A&P for the EMT level, but it's really not enough to *really* understand EKGs, from what I can tell based on reading EMT-P curricula (curriculae?).

I have a pretty good understanding of the A&P behind cardiac function.

I want to understand what is going on when Medics turf a patient down to me. While I want to ultimately learn more about the A&P I feel it is more important to learn EKG interpretation first since that is what I will encounter in the field. The more advanced A&P will follow.

Got to build the walls before you build the roof.

OP
OP
L

leoemt

Forum Captain
Uhh... You're trying to build the roof...

I don't know about that. From a treatment standpoint maybe. At this point in my career I am concerned with what drugs a patient needs. What I am concerned about is getting the patient to the right facility for treatment.

I deal with EKG's on a daily basis. I don't deal with Cardiac treatments or drugs. Being able to interpret the EKG is what will help me out.

As stated I got a pretty good foundation on my knowledge of A&P as it pertains to Cardiac function. Not saying there isn't more I got to learn - because there is.

The EKG measures the electrical function of the heart. Since the electrical function is what causes the heart to function I see this as my personal foundation.

From what I have learned this far, it is all intertwined so I am considering this to be my "wall". Maybe its not the same for you. Maybe in a year I will say "wow, I made that really hard" or maybe I will grasp it and move on.

Might not be your "wall" but it is mine.

TMEEMT

Forum Ride Along
My co-worker showed me Skillstat.com it has an ECG simulator that you can play with after you begin interpreting them to test your skills

joegrizzly

Forum Crew Member
One of my interests in the EMS field is EKG interpretation. As a Basic I have no real need to learn about EKG's. However, I am constantly given strips by Medics and Doctors and would like to know what I am looking at.

I have been looking for a book to self teach me some stuff on EKG's and 12 leads. However, I have been noticing that a lot of these books say in the description "updated for 2010 guidelines".

Obviously treatments will change with improvements in medicine. Does the interpretation change though? For someone who is looking to learn from an awareness aspect and not a treatment aspect is it important to get a current book?

This is the book I have been looking at http://www.buyemp.com/product/basic...-management-text-and-pocket-reference-package

Anyone have other recommendations?

I was in the same boat as you and I really wanted to learn a little bit more about what was happening on the monitor on calls. What really helped me just to get a "basic" understanding was taking an ACLS class offered at my company. I understand that I have a very basic grasp of EKG and until I can get an actual EKG class or medic school under my belt I in fact am not qualified or able to interpret a rhythm, but it really helped me get the gist of it. Some people might hem and haw about a EMT-Bandaid taking an ACLS class, but it gave me such a higher perspective of what was going on in a wide variety of calls. Hope that helps.