BLS CPR Guideline question

RoadZOmbie

Forum Crew Member
I got my BLS CPR card in 2010. I'm going to take a EMT Basic course this semester and was wondering if I had to re-certify because of the 2011 guideline changes? Not sure if I will be tested on the "ABCs" or "CABs" prior to entering the class as I only know the ABC way. Thanks guys!!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I got my BLS CPR card in 2010. I'm going to take a EMT Basic course this semester and was wondering if I had to re-certify because of the 2011 guideline changes? Not sure if I will be tested on the "ABCs" or "CABs" prior to entering the class as I only know the ABC way. Thanks guys!!

It's CAB.

DPM

Forum Captain

Do you have your 'Healthcare provider CPR' Cert? Because if not then you will need that first.

OP
OP
R

RoadZOmbie

Forum Crew Member
Yes its for health care provider. But my question is will I have to get recertified as in go into a AHA approved class and take the course again based on the CAB guidelines?

I would call up the school and ask...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yes its for health care provider. But my question is will I have to get recertified as in go into a AHA approved class and take the course again based on the CAB guidelines?

Probably not as long as your card is good. You will learn the new guidelines in your class. If you got your card in 2010 it may expire before your course finishes so you'd need to refresh it anyways. Even though you learn the new guidelines in class it wont refresh your card. You can just take a refresher. 4 hours vs. 6. I've never had a refresher last the whole 4 hours.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
If your state requires NREMT, you'll also be tested on the new guidelines.

Consequently, the NREMT will be implementing all associated recommendations of the AHA Guidelines 2010 for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care as of November 1, 2011 (Paramedic only) and January 1, 2012 (all other levels).
http://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/2010_aha_guidelines.asp

I think it's unlikely that your class and the state will require you to recertify if your card hasn't expired, but this is something that may be class and/or state specific. If you want to know for sure, you'll have to contact them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DHFD402

Forum Ride Along
You need the Red Cross CPR for Healthcare Providers you should be fine with that as long as it is not expired.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You need the Red Cross CPR for Healthcare Providers you should be fine with that as long as it is not expired.

Negative ghost rider. Generally both the AHA Basic Life Support for the Health Care Provider and the ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer are considered equivalent. To accept ARC and not AHA is the height of stupidity since ARC follows AHA. There are a couple of other programs out there trying to seek recognition, but those are rather sparsely acknowledged. If the OP has AHA BLS for the Health Care Provider, there's almost no reason to go through an ARC course.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If the OP has AHA BLS for the Health Care Provider, there's no reason to go through an ARC course.

Corrected it for you.

Coming from someone who has been through both, the differences are miniscule.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Corrected it for you.

Coming from someone who has been through both, the differences are miniscule.

Arguably if some company has rectal cranial inversion and accepts ARC but not AHA, then that would be a reason to get ARC... or work someplace else.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Arguably if some company has rectal cranial inversion and accepts ARC but not AHA, then that would be a reason to get ARC... or work someplace else.

True. Other than that, there's no reason to be dual certified.

This is coming from someone who has both of them. Old Lifeguard supervisor gig made me have ARC and I already had AHA :rolleyes:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm not sure how it is near you, but CPR-day was a required class for my EMT class (and even Medic class) - even though many of us already had cards - this way, the instructor verified, so it didn't become an issue down the road. Additionally, there was time in the curriculum dedicated towards CPR. This way, they made their course hours.

OP
OP
R

RoadZOmbie

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the replys. I got a reply from the professor and he said I'll be good to go with my current CPR card. But I'll have to be be re-certified when I plan to take my NREMT.