BLS Bag Checklist?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
daedalus got 'em all covered... if you have that much... you're either a whacker or a SAR Medic who actually might need all that. (not trying to offend the SAR guys) ^_^

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I swear I gave that response in a different thread. I upgraded to a critical care paramedic. I keep him in a body bag. All I need to do is add epi and wallah! Its just that easy!

Unfortunatley the med bag, IV start pack and lifepack 15 are not included.

Hmm, maybe I stole it from you. It seemed sort of familiar.

For the record, I upgraded to an M.D. B)

ChicagolandIFT

Forum Crew Member
HAHAHA... I have 12 band-aids, a pair of vinyl gloves, and if I happen to be on the way to or from work I have my stethoscope, if I didn't forget it at work. At home it is a little more extensive. I have a whole box of band-aids, a set of dish washing gloves, a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and some forceps (tweezers) for splinters. And am pretty sure I have some expired aspirin, Advil, Tylenol, and Benedryl in the medicine cabinet my mom bought me when I moved out on my own 6 years ago. I also have a cell phone capable of dialing 9-1-1 ;)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
HAHAHA... I have 12 band-aids, a pair of vinyl gloves, and if I happen to be on the way to or from work I have my stethoscope, if I didn't forget it at work. At home it is a little more extensive. I have a whole box of band-aids, a set of dish washing gloves, a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and some forceps (tweezers) for splinters. And am pretty sure I have some expired aspirin, Advil, Tylenol, and Benedryl in the medicine cabinet my mom bought me when I moved out on my own 6 years ago. I also have a cell phone capable of dialing 9-1-1 ;)

Like oh my god like no way!!!! A cell phone! I wish I was able to call 9-1-1. oh my god. I would be able to SAVE EVERYONE THEN!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChicagolandIFT

Forum Crew Member
Like oh my god like no way!!!! A cell phone! I wish I was able to call 9-1-1. oh my god. I would be able to SAVE EVERYONE THEN!!!!!!!!

It certainly has a better chance of saving a life than a trunk loaded full of medical supplies. Is there any life threatening situation that I cannot take care of with my body, shirt, and my trusty pocket knife? One step more, is there anything a basic can do period with those supplies in a true off duty life threatening situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
JPINFV,

In putting together my bag, I dont want to make it based off the assumption that I was EMS. I want to make it based off the assumption that I am the only one there till I EMS arrives. So given the scenarios you described, and the actions you suggest (which btw, I agree with) I take, what type of equipment would you recommend I carry? I guess thats the question I should have asked when posting... thats my mistake.

Seriously, the only equipment you really need for serious cases of what you described is going to be a cell phone, something to provide direct pressure with (gauze), gloves, and a CPR mask. Maybe (and it's a big "maybe") shears too. Now if you're looking for something like, say, back packing or other outdoor or a home first aid kit, sure, there are a handful of other items you could use. Similarly, if you're looking to basically 'treat and street' minor cuts and scraps, something like the auto first aid kit works well

For the scenarios described, why not...

splinting materials, cravats, and triangle bandages? ...because an emergency responder accepting patients from a lay provider is going to want to inspect the injury. Additionally, since it's going to be presumed that you are calling 911 for all of these and not a non-emergent transport company, the response time will be short anyways.

BP cuff and stethoscope? First off, in a lot of these you just won't have an extra hand. Manual inline stabilization? 2 hands. Direct pressure? 1-2 hands. So on and so forth. Similarly, if you need to call 911, you should be able to make that decision 99% of the time without a blood pressure. If a patient looks sick, just make the call.

O2 supplies? 1. Cost. 2 Legal issues. 3. Safety Issues.

Ice packs? Cost. Short response times.

Nothing you do should change the situation from "need an ambulance" to "don't need an ambulance" and hence my minimalistic stance on a private jump bag for freelancing. Being prepared is important, but it is possible to go overboard (yes, this is a completely unfair comparison, but definitely a lesson in what not to do. The most important things you can do is stay calm, keep everyone else calm, and use your brain.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Hmm, maybe I stole it from you. It seemed sort of familiar.

For the record, I upgraded to an M.D. B)

Is it an E.M MD or a Trauma Surgeon?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

I upgrade both of you to JESUS!

jesus-thumps-up11.jpg

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

A trauma surgeon. When I bought it from Galls, it came with a free Ridryder911, so I think I'm all set.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
if you insist on carrying something...

gloves and a pocket mask

anything else is a liability...the exception being if youre trained for the use of the equipment youre carrying and live in an area where response times are very long

JPINFV

Gadfly

EM physicians beat trauma surgeons every day of the week. EM physicians treat more patients (medical and trauma instead of just trauma) without having to stand in the same spot for hours on end

dragonjbynight

Forum Crew Member
I love these forums...there great!

On the point, have cpr mask, couple bandaids, gauze and tape...think thats about it. If you have kids, badaids are the cureall...not one kid doesn't feel a lil better when ya put a spongebob bandaid on em. I might get a small bag after my class is over with, but No 02..or fancy crud, just a few basics for the car and the like.

Response time....depends on whether i walk really slow to the station...<1 min..lol. Its 100 yards away.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
I love these forums...there great!

On the point, have cpr mask, couple bandaids, gauze and tape...think thats about it. If you have kids, badaids are the cureall...not one kid doesn't feel a lil better when ya put a spongebob bandaid on em. I might get a small bag after my class is over with, but No 02..or fancy crud, just a few basics for the car and the like.

Response time....depends on whether i walk really slow to the station...<1 min..lol. Its 100 yards away.

I'll admit, I do end up pulling out a bandaid or two every couple of weeks, but I always feel like a bit of a moron. What am I, Free Clinic On Wheels? Helping the kid and the parents feel better usually makes up for my brief moments of cynicism, though.

Of course, in 20 years, when I'm a crusty old EMT...