BLS Bag Checklist?

Sugi

Forum Probie
So what do you carry on your truck/ambo for BLS? Looking for a good checklist for a medical and trauma bag.

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
I'll try to list everything we carry in ours.

- B/P Cuff and Stethoscope
- Pulse Ox
- Trauma Shears (well, they're supposed to be in there)
- Various gauze
- Cling Wrap
- NC and NRB's
- Glucose Meter
- Hot/Cold Packs
- Various sizes of medical tape

Ok...so I'm sure there's more, but its too early in the morning to think this hard. :p I think I'm actually going to suggest the squad but some of THESE
bags to take in the house so we can quick carrying those huge bags.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Scissors
tape
burn sheets
OB kit
roller gauze
4x4 gauze
OPs
NPs
suction device
turnquets
oral glucose
BVM
Cannulas
peds NRB
Adult NRB
Infant NRB
petrleum gauze
MCI tags
stethoscope
BP cuff
trauma dressings
and a dozen other types of dressings an bandages

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Forgot one

bag

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
check with your state to see if there is a required list of minimum set of standard equipment.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm extremely bored so I'll bite. In our service issued BLS kit we have an adult section with adult bvm, NC, NRB, OPA's, and NPAs. A section for peds with an infant mask, peds mask and NC, and a bvm for each. We have a trauma section with the following:
1 Trauma Pad
series of 4x4s
sterile water
1 ladder splint
1 of each 'adult' size collar and 1 ped collar
4inch gauze rolls
2inch gauze rolls
emesis bags
pocket masks
shears
pen light
oral glucose
bite stick
tape
1 of each (hot and cold packs)
eye shield
annnnd I think that's it. It's pretty much everything we have on the ambulance but fewer in quantity.

Oh and thrown in wherever we have a flashlight, ped cuff, adult cuff, large adult cuff, glucometer, a small IV start kit (1 20ga 1 18ga, and the start pack with 2 flushes), and a crappy 2$ scope. (I'm not kidding our company issued scopes are 2$ each with our medical discounts).

And this is why I carry my own kit, my bag is the same size as the company issue but weighs 1/2 the weight.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Doesn't you county or state provide a checklist of what you need?
...because the local required minimum list is the end all, be all of BLS bag stocking?

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Doesn't you county or state provide a checklist of what you need?

I'm taking a stab in the dark to assume this person wants a personal bag and may or may not work in EMS yet.

With that out of the way, my state does not have a checklist for required BLS bag items. For all my state cares you can make a BLS bag out of two sticks and a piece of chewing gum. I have worked for a service that DID NOT have a BLS kit of any sort.

OP
OP
S

Sugi

Forum Probie
I'm taking a stab in the dark to assume this person wants a personal bag and may or may not work in EMS yet.

Spot on.

Just looking for an opinion of what to carry in a bag in my car. I dont work in EMS yet.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Spot on.

Just looking for an opinion of what to carry in a bag in my car. I dont work in EMS yet.

All you need then is a basic first aid kit such as:
http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.aspx?partnum=LLAAAPITSTOP
Note: I am not endorsing the above kit. I just Googled "car first aid kit" and it was the first one I saw.

Why don't you need a bag?

1. You aren't in EMS yet.
2. You shouldn't be jumping calls in your POV anyways when you do enter EMS.
3. If your agency wants you to respond to calls in your POV (volunteer or paid on call) then they should be providing you with the equipment that you need.

OP
OP
S

Sugi

Forum Probie
Why don't you need a bag?

1. You aren't in EMS yet.
2. You shouldn't be jumping calls in your POV anyways when you do enter EMS.
3. If your agency wants you to respond to calls in your POV (volunteer or paid on call) then they should be providing you with the equipment that you need.

It isnt like I go hunting for these things and thing "WOW IM AN EMT NOW! I CAN DO IT ALL MYSELF!"
I've seen car crashes, roll overs, bicycle accidents, even shooting accidents. Ive been in situations where I and the people I knew were the only people on the scene until EMS arrived (response times in the valley are remarkable though)
Correct me if Im wrong, but it almost sounds like you are telling me I should feel no obligation to help in these situations.
I want to be prepared for situations where I am the only one with the training and supplies to help until ems arrives for the same reason i want to be in EMS, instead of keeping my cozy desk job as a server admin which is alot safer, less stressful and certainly better paying: to help people.

Sorry if this post seemed blunt or rude, and I am certainly sorry if I misread your's.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm not saying not to help, albeit be careful if you do. The truth is that, yes, a lot of people do have the intention that you said in your first sentence. There really are a lot of people who go to Galls, spend a ton of money on a bag so that they can be EMT-Hero, and so forth. Even so, I think that anything more than a basic first aid kit is overkill as a private jumb bag. However, let me go through your scenarios that you listed.

Car accident: Unless the patient is going to die immediately without being yanked out of the car (either due to something drastic or an unsafe scene. Most scenes are safer than they appear), you will have limited access to the patient since you shouldn't be removing the patient. In the vast majority of car accidents, unless the patient is throw free, the only thing you can do is hold c-spine until the first responders arrive (be it fire or EMS).

Bicycle accidents: Again, the priority is going to be inline stabilization if major. If it's minor to moderate, then ice packs and basic bandage materials are going to be the most useful.

Shooting accidents: Occlusive bandages (aka, the gauze wrapper) for sucking chest wounds and gauze dressings for direct pressure.

The only thing that probably should be suplemented to most first aid kits is a CPR mask. Personally, I like the design (although, addmittedly, I've never used a pocket mask) of the MDI pocket masks since they come with a pair of gloves in them and have a little extension akin to half an OPA on them.

Link for MDI CPR shield

OP
OP
S

Sugi

Forum Probie
JPINFV,

In putting together my bag, I dont want to make it based off the assumption that I was EMS. I want to make it based off the assumption that I am the only one there till I EMS arrives. So given the scenarios you described, and the actions you suggest (which btw, I agree with) I take, what type of equipment would you recommend I carry? I guess thats the question I should have asked when posting... thats my mistake.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
JPINFV,

In putting together my bag, I dont want to make it based off the assumption that I was EMS. I want to make it based off the assumption that I am the only one there till I EMS arrives. So given the scenarios you described, and the actions you suggest (which btw, I agree with) I take, what type of equipment would you recommend I carry? I guess thats the question I should have asked when posting... thats my mistake.

a) Dressings (perhaps one trauma, couple 5x9s, half dozen of 4x4s)
b) Kling (perhaps a couple 4" and 2")
c) 3 Triangle bandages (great for creating slings and swathe's)
d) a short padded board (for the love of god save money and make your own. Cut a small piece of plywood to about 4"x12", then duct tape a piece of cloth to make one side padded)
e) Roll of hypoallergenic tape
f) Ice pack
g) BP cuff and cheap stethoscope
h) Barrier face mask (these are expensive, and I'd only recommend investing in adult size)
i) trauma shears

IMHO that should cover your kit. It's relatively inexpensive, and most items will have a long shelf life. NEVER put anything into your kit that is considered invasive... that screams of liability.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
A paramedic.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
band-aids, gauze, and the likes...

if your a FR/CPR - throw in a pocket mask, bp cuff, and stethoscope

EMT-I (basic) - maybe O2 (if you can get it) with a NRB,NC, and very rarely a BVM. maybe some OPA's... but thats it,

oh... and never underestimate the power of ice packs... they're your friend.... unless its a hypothermic pt :p

firecoins

IFT Puppet
A paramedic.

I swear I gave that response in a different thread. I upgraded to a critical care paramedic. I keep him in a body bag. All I need to do is add epi and wallah! Its just that easy!

Unfortunatley the med bag, IV start pack and lifepack 15 are not included.

Last edited by a moderator:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Ultimate Whacker Bag-

Trauma shears
OPAs assorted sizes
NPAs assorted sizes
Water based lubricant
Tongue depressors
Portable suction
Tubing
Adult, Pediatric, and Infant BVM