Votes: 34 21.4%
  • Only if they are with an EMT in the back

Votes: 73 45.9%
  • Only as an observer and to not provide any care

Votes: 28 17.6%

• Total voters

VCEMT

Forum Captain
What? There are people that are not EMTs working on a rig? That doesn't sound very safe.

EMT2SaveU

Forum Ride Along
Rig staffing

We ride 4 in a rig, all have to be EMT-B minimum. All EMT's must pass dispatch training before becoming an attendant. Two of the EMT's can be attendants, one driver and a crew chief.

Isaac

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Where does the patient go?!

62_derick

Forum Crew Member
In Pa the citys run Duel Medics on the rigs and don't hire any Emt's (which I dont think is really right) on the rual areas they run medic/emt (BLS/ALS) or EMT/EMT (Bls) or sometimes Duel Medics too.

When I went to emt school I would right on the truck observing and sometimes helping out with an emt/medic.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Here, is depends on the circulstance.

Our station protocol says:
The minimum staffing on a BLS truck is a driver (not required to be EMT certified) and an EMT in the back who is over the age of 18.
In the case that there is an EMT driver and an EMT in the back who is under the age of 18, they cannot take a call. There MUST always be an EMT over age 18 in the back, no matter what the cert. level of the driver is. Elsewhere, there aren't any restrictions.

Note that we normally take 2 EMTs, one being at least 18yrs old, and a driver. All but one of our drivers are EMT-B certified and the one that isn't, used to be and just needs to get his CE class in before the end of December.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
We ride 4 in a rig, all have to be EMT-B minimum. All EMT's must pass dispatch training before becoming an attendant. Two of the EMT's can be attendants, one driver and a crew chief.

Isaac

Geez!!! does the patient have room to breathe!?!? yall must either have a huge crew to fill multiple trucks up like that or your district is out of luck if more than one call comes in at once!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
is that 2 EMT's including the driver?

PA state law allows for 1 EMT and 1 driver with EVOC+Advanced First Aid to staff a BLS unit. Common practice in paid situations is to only have EMT's on the ambulance.

At the volunteer squad, we'll allow a total of 4 crewmembers... Driver, Primary EMT, and then a combination of Precepting EMT's, EMT Students, and Attendants. Sometimes they are useful... sometimes they are in the way. Some of them complete precepting and become useful members of the squad... and some seem to have no useful purpose. We haven't been able to find a real solution for that yet.

As for space - we run Type III's, and that usually gives us enough room for us, the patient, and an ALS provider if need be. If we have a medic onboard, someone off the crew will drive the medic's car to the ED as a courtesy, and I've been known to have multiple attendants ride in the medic's car, or have one ride in the front passenger seat if the back is too crowded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The last time I looked at (California) Title 22 and DMV requirements, a BLS truck can be staffed by an EMT and a Driver. The Driver must be First Responder certified, with CPR. Here's the catch: The Driver must become an EMT within one year of obtaining the Ambulance Driver Certificate. The DMV enforces that. I have not heard of any services using EMT/FR staffing. The realistic minimum is EMT/EMT for BLS.

51 RESCUE EMT-B

Forum Probie
That would be (2) two EMT's and (1) a driver to be DOH compliant.B)

is that 2 EMT's including the driver?

PA state law allows for 1 EMT and 1 driver with EVOC+Advanced First Aid to staff a BLS unit. Common practice in paid situations is to only have EMT's on the ambulance.

At the volunteer squad, we'll allow a total of 4 crewmembers... Driver, Primary EMT, and then a combination of Precepting EMT's, EMT Students, and Attendants. Sometimes they are useful... sometimes they are in the way. Some of them complete precepting and become useful members of the squad... and some seem to have no useful purpose. We haven't been able to find a real solution for that yet.

As for space - we run Type III's, and that usually gives us enough room for us, the patient, and an ALS provider if need be. If we have a medic onboard, someone off the crew will drive the medic's car to the ED as a courtesy, and I've been known to have multiple attendants ride in the medic's car, or have one ride in the front passenger seat if the back is too crowded.

51 RESCUE EMT-B

Forum Probie
The state DOH statute requires (2) two EMT's on the vehicle. Local protocol requires (2) EMT's and (1) a driver.B)

8:40-3.7 Minimum personnel requirements
(a) Each person who operates a motor vehicle licensed under this chapter shall possess and
have readily available for inspection a valid driver's license, as required by Title 39 of the Revised
Statutes of New Jersey.
(b) Each required staff person, as defined by this chapter, who staffs or operates a vehicle
licensed under this chapter:
1. Shall be at least 18 years old;
2. Shall dress in clothing, including any outerwear, of a similar uniform appearance
which presents a professional appearance;
3. Shall wear the following identification:
i. His or her first and/or last name; and
ii. The name of the licensee.
4. Shall not wear or display any identification which suggests or indicates affiliation with any
other organization or agency. However, identification may be displayed which indicates the person's
level of training or personal or licensee membership in a professional association or society.
5. Shall have readily available for inspection, either on his or her person or in the vehicle, valid
documentation, or other proof thereof, of his or her training as may be required in this chapter.
(c) Each person who provides patient care (as part of any service licensed under this chapter)
shall possess a license, registration, certification or training certificate valid in the State of New Jersey
for the type or level of patient care he or she is providing. No person shall be allowed to provide a
type or level of patient care beyond the level he or she is lawfully eligible
to provide in the State of New Jersey.
(d) Each person who staffs a vehicle licensed under this chapter may wear appropriate
patches, pins, or other items identifying training courses the person has completed. However, no
person shall be allowed to staff a vehicle licensed under this chapter while displaying any patch or
other symbol indicating a level of training he or she has not attained.
(e) No person shall be allowed to staff or operate a vehicle licensed under this chapter:
1. While under the influence of intoxicating liquor or narcotic or habit forming drugs; or
2. In a reckless manner; or
3. At excessive speed; or
4. While engaging in any illegal conduct.
(f) While in service, each Mobility Assistance Vehicle shall be staffed by at least one person
who shall meet the requirements of (a) and (b) above. A second Mobility Assistance staff member,
also meeting the same requirements, shall be required at the time the patient is loaded or unloaded, if
a patient in a wheelchair must be moved up or down five or more steps or if a patient in a wheelchair
weighs 200 or more pounds and must be moved up or down two or more steps. The second staff
member need not be present at other times.
1. If oxygen administration devices are not carried in the vehicle, the required staff person(s)
shall possess valid certification in:
i. Passenger Assistance Techniques issued by Transportation Management Associates, Fort
Worth, Texas, or a course which is similar in content and curriculum, developed by the licensee and
approved by the Department; and
ii. Adult CPR, issued by the American Heart Association, American National Red Cross or the
National Safety Council.
2. If oxygen administration devices are carried in the vehicle, the required staff person(s) shall
possess valid certification as an Emergency Medical Technician, issued or recognized by the
Department, in addition to the training required in (f)1i and ii above.
(g) When in-service, including any time the vehicle is used as a Mobility Assistance Vehicle,
each Transport Ambulance shall be staffed by at least two persons who shall meet the requirements of
(a) and (b) above. Staff persons of a hospital or of another agency who accompany a patient need not
meet the requirements of (a) and (b) above.
1. Each of the required staff persons shall possess current valid certification as an Emergency
Medical Technician, issued or recognized by the Department.
2. Each of the required Emergency Medical Technicians shall possess valid current
certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for professional rescuers issued by the American
Heart Association, the National Safety Council or the American Red Cross.
(h) When in-service, each Emergency Ambulance vehicle shall be staffed by at least two
persons (including anytime the vehicle is used as a Mobility Assistance Vehicle) who shall meet the
requirements of (a) and (b) above. Staff persons of a hospital or of another agency who accompany a
patient need not meet the requirements of (a) and (b) above.
1. Each of the required staff persons shall possess current valid certification as an Emergency
Medical Technician, issued or recognized by the Department.
i. If the vehicle is utilized to provide Street EMS, at least one of the two required emergency
medical technicians shall be certified as an emergency medical technician-defibrillation in accordance
with N.J.A.C. 8:41A;
2. Each of the required Emergency Medical Technicians shall possess valid current
certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for professional rescuers issued by the American
Heart Association, the National Safety Council or the American Red Cross.
Amended by R.1992 d.16, effective January 6, 1992.
See: 23 N.J.R. 2566(a), 24 N.J.R. 119(a).
Age, appearance and operating requirements amended.
Amended by R.1998 d.107, effective February 17, 1998.
See: 29 N.J.R. 4416(a), 30 N.J.R. 648(a).
In (a), substituted a reference to Title 39 of the Revised Statutes of New

thatSPIKYflip

Forum Probie
In my town, we have a private volunteer EMS squad (of which I am a member) and the fire department. My squad staffs ambulances with four members at max and at least one EMT. If using a full crew, an ambulance is staffed with two EMTs and two assistants who are at least CPR/AED certified. If an ambulance is staffed with only one EMT, then we have to roll with a FD engine, then one of the FF/EMTs has to ride in the back with the assistants.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
If we have a first responder, they're either the driver or a ridealong, and there need to be at least two EMT-Bs on the crew. We technically can have a BLS crew, but we almost always run ALS.

squrt29batt12

Forum Crew Member
Here in FL, the minimum for BLS is one EMT and one First Responder. ALS on the other hand is obviously at least a PMD and an EMT, a First Responder can ride as a third though.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
bumping an old thread since it's slow at work on the overnight

where I work (paid job), we run 2 paramedic medic trucks and 2 EMT BLS trucks. I support 2 the person requirements 100% for all paid services, because otherwise, some :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty (private) or penny pinching boss would staff their ambulance with a medic/EMT and a taxi driver and pay the taxi driver peanuts to save on overall expenses.

For volunteer BLS, 1 EMT and one FA/CPR driver. The logic behind this is that you have a harder time getting two volunteer EMTs, and you will still have an EMT treating and in the patient compartment at all times. If you have a sick patient, you will have 2 paramedics coming as well, so you will still have an EMT treating and a paramedic treating while you go to the hospital.

want an even scarier thought? in NJ, a volunteer EMS agency (as in one that doesn't bill for services, regardless of if the personnel are paid or not) that doesn't belong to the First Aid Council (arguably one of the most useless group of people in the state, and an optional one to belong to, but I digress) does not need a to have a single EMT on the ambulance to respond to 911 medical emergency calls. No I don't like this, but it is definitely a scary thought.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
"BLS" here means Technician or the old IV/Cardiac level (being phased out)
"ILS" means Paramedic
"ALS" means Intensive Care Paramedic

More and more, true "BLS" (being Technician level) is only found here in rural areas serviced by volunteers.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
ideally we'll have atleast 2 emt's or higher but in some cases its 1 emt/paramedic and 1 very trusted first responder who only assists really