Blogging, worse then you think!

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Google "Other peoples emergencies, urban paramedic". It isn't mine, but I think its well written without giving too much patient info away.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Google "Other peoples emergencies, urban paramedic". It isn't mine, but I think its well written without giving too much patient info away.

thats a great blog. i was lucky enough to take a lecture from the man that wrote it while in medic school. a really really smart man. i wish he'd pick the blog back up...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This is part of the consequences of becoming a professional. We want to be validated as one, but not assume the responsibility of being one.

What you say, write or actions you display can and will be held against you. Part of the responsibility is realizing that any of your actions will be noticed and you will be held accountable.

R/r 911

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm glad you enjoyed his lecture, he is definately good at what he does. He is currently in the Army with JAG, being a lawyer has its perks! We took an ATLS audit together a little while back, I think he is going to do the law thing for a bit. Its funny to think he could make more working ALS than he could interning as a lawyer.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well ive never heard the pay rate for h+h medics, but i know what the basic make and it doesnt suprise me he was making more. hes been otj for some time hasnt he?

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
This is part of the consequences of becoming a professional. We want to be validated as one, but not assume the responsibility of being one.

What you say, write or actions you display can and will be held against you. Part of the responsibility is realizing that any of your actions will be noticed and you will be held accountable.

R/r 911[/QUOTE

Rr you are completely correct. I can not state it better myself so therefore I will not attempt to do so. :)

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
I Completely Agree

why anyone would put any identifying anything on something as juvenile as myspace is beyond me.

I completely agree. I think that blogging can be a wonderful thing when done correctly.

JPINFV

Gadfly
why anyone would put any identifying anything on something as juvenile as myspace is beyond me.

In concern to Facebook (which actually had quality when it was limited to people with a .edu email address), you can do a fair amount of networking. I had the chance to meet up with a few of my grad school class mates the summer before I started grad school (note: undergrad was in Southern California, grad school was in Boston, MA). Keep tract of the pictures people have tagged you in (note: drinking EtOH at a banquet (like graduation banquet or at a conference) and drinking EtOH while going wild at a bar is two different things) and don't be stupid and you shouldn't have a problem.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Thanks for posting this... makes a person think ;)

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you

Thanks for posting this... makes a person think ;)

I do agree. Reading others cautionary tales should DEFINITELY impact how others act. Personally I try to learn from others lives and mistakes as well as my own. This was a "wonderful" thing to read considering that I am just beginning my EMS career.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We kicked this one around a little at work today. I'm being contrary as usual.

If the person posting such garbaceous drivel is identifiable as an employee of a given company and the message impinges on their reputation etc., it could be argued that each viewing by someone on the internet could be considered an instance of injurious speech, but their remedy would be to tell the employee to stop, cease, desist halt already.If this was posted before he worked for them and there was no specific warning about this sort of foolishness then he was not seeking employment under guise by not inviting them to look at his posting. They could arguably be required to demonstrate that his actions caused them damage, a basic legal tenet going back as far as "Zender v. the Crown" in colonial America. Your employer can't make you take off your "Hitler Gay Youth" T Shirt unless it starts damaging the workplace or it was a condition of employment that you not wear it. (This is sidestepping the whole morals and blue laws thing).

Having said that, let me say that anyone discovered to have the frontal lobe depression leading to that sort of activity while identifiable is not to be trusted with a toaster much less relations with the public until he grows up. If forced to kep him on, they would nit pick him to death and hound him out. And then, the stink will probably ride him...leaving him with his own basis to sue for slander and libel, if he has the money from putting labels on cans at Food-o-Rama.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
PS: Cautionary Tales...

"Learn from other poeple's mistakes; you'd never survive it if they were all your own".

Alfred E. Newman (MAD MAgazine), many years ago in a galaxy far away...

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
Wonderful quote!

"Learn from other poeple's mistakes; you'd never survive it if they were all your own".

Alfred E. Newman (MAD MAgazine), many years ago in a galaxy far away...

Nice! :)

And VERY true!

suziquzi99

Forum Crew Member
During my orientation, I was told more than once by a few different people, whatever you do (off or on duty) that can be traced by computer or phone records, make sure you don't mind whatever coming up in front of 50 people, a judge, and a jury 5 yrs, etc, down the road. Lawyers can be vultures. They won't care what context it was originally in. Whatever your views, makes you think. Or at least, I did.