Bilingual

Do you think EMS providers should have to learn other languages?

• Total voters

medic417

The Truth Provider
No entiendo nada. Disculpame pero no entiendo muy bien el ingles. Hasta luego.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome yes... with open arms... however, if your gonna be here to fall into open arms... speak English. That is all I am advocating. I don't have any actual statistics but I do have anecdotal observation from my own region and travels and from reading and watching the news and opinion polls from national news sites. Wrong or right... its my opinion.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Thank you for saying it is opinion. When you make something look like a fact we expect to see the numbers to back up the statement.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I'll never give someone grief for not being able to speak english, or coming to this country for a better deal. Totally understandable. The original question was if it should be mandatory to demonstrate proficiency in other languages as a condition of employment. Mandatory, no. As a financial incentive, absolutely. English is a difficult language to learn as a first language(take a good look as America's youth, particularly in the inner cities), let alone as a second language. it can take many years to master, but there are those that come here and refuse to make any effort to assimilate, and choosing to remain in their neighborhood most of the time. A board or book with pictures with a description in several languages(show them cx pain, diff breathing, dizz, nausea, etc, to cover the bases) can be helpful in the instance of a language barrier. A 24/7 language line would be ideal for this purpose. Sometimes, you can get lucky and get a school age child at the residence to reanslate. Mandating foreign language proficiency is wrong, and is another instance of the U.S. catering to immigrants at the expense of the citizens. While we're on the subject of catering, how many hospitals have closed recently due to a scourge of uncompensated cases? In Queens NY alone, I've seen St. Joe's, Mary Immaculate, and St. John's on the boulevard close for that reason. Every so often you hear of a pt who comes here, gets admitted for whatever, and receives care from 100K into the millions(uncompensated), while the hosp can do nothing about it, as sending the currently stabilized pt back to their country of origin is illegal? Legal citizens can be denied specialized care for the same condition, if they lack insurance. Look at the elderly in the U.S. who are on fixed incomes, cannot afford their meds, or a home health aide if needed. Also, how do illegal ailens(undocumented is too cutesy) get legit driver's licenses and mortgages? I can't figure that one out. I went off on a tangent to give examples of "catering".

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I was referring specifically to post #4. It's not a news article or anything, but another example of catering to illegals. I have some spanish blood myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Why doesn't anyone have anything to say about posts #164 and 165?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I was referring specifically to post #4. It's not a news article or anything, but another example of catering to illegals. I have some spanish blood myself.

Do you claim yourself as Hispanic on job applications? Do you speak Spanish with your parents?

Again, just because someone speaks a foreign language does not mean someone is an illegal.

If you want to get into bashing illegals, start another thread.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
No, i'm 1/4, and don't attempt to use it for personal gain. The thread was about learning other languages as a condition of employment. I believe this is one of many exmples of catering to illegals. If we were to go to various third world countries and ask for a free ride, and fully compensated medical care, we would be laughed at, and turned loose on the street to die.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
No, i'm 1/4, and don't attempt to use it for personal gain. The thread was about learning other languages as a condition of employment. I believe this is one of many exmples of catering to illegals. If we were to go to various third world countries and ask for a free ride, and fully compensated medical care, we would be laughed at, and turned loose on the street to die.

So you still associate speaking a foreign language, which is the topic of this thread, as now catering to the illegals.

And, if someone is Hispanic and lists that on their job application they are seeking personal gain? What do you want them to do? Lie on the application?

I guess you haven't traveled very much either. An American can get very good medical care in other countries reqardless of the language spoken.

BTW, where do you think some Americans get their medications that they can not get in this country either for financial or FDA reasons? This also goes for many many medical procedures.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Explain to me how what I've said thus far in regards to catering to illegals isn't true, and how it doesn't happen in today's society.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
So you still associate speaking a foreign language, which is the topic of this thread, as now catering to the illegals.

And, if someone is Hispanic and lists that on their job application they are seeking personal gain? What do you want them to do? Lie on the application?

I guess you haven't traveled very much either. An American can get very good medical care in other countries reqardless of the language spoken.

It's catering if it's mandated. I never said it's wrong to learn other languages, it's actually beneficial and good customer service. It should be a financial incentive, not a barrier to employment. These third world countries will give U.S. citizens a full Tx course, such as neurosurgery, cancer Tx, organ transplants, and long term managed care without compensation? Then, why are individuals coming here for such treatments if it's readily available(for free, as it is here for them) in their country of origin?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Yes, there are those that go to Canada or Mexico and paying cash for meds, or dental treatments and such. Their medical coverage is inadequate. Different story if illegals are coming here and getting FREE meds and treatments.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Explain to me how what I've said thus far in regards to catering to illegals isn't true, and how it doesn't happen in today's society.

Who are you as a Paramedic to decide who lives or dies? Or, who deserves medical care or not? What illegals are you particularly concerned about since there are most than just the Mexicans. But of course, there's that Hispanic thing again. They might actually try to use that on their application for personal gain. Are you afraid they will take your job?

Our Presidents and their administrations have allowed and even offered access to this country with open arms to many. This country has also failed to regulate the laws they have had and now some are on their high horse because of the issues this country is presented with now. Many of the people complaining have taken no interest in elections at any level be it local or national but believe they know what is wrong with everything. Some also talk about situations they may have very little first hand knowledge of or lilke you claiming to know about Hispanics because you are 1/4 but consider it something to be used only for personal gain.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yes, there are those that go to Canada or Mexico and paying cash for meds, or dental treatments and such. Their medical coverage is inadequate. Different story if illegals are coming here and getting FREE meds and treatments.

It is actually Mexico that gets the largest percentage of Americans purchasing meds.

My response was to this statement made by you:
If we were to go to various third world countries and ask for a free ride, and fully compensated medical care, we would be laughed at, and turned loose on the street to die.

You don't know the actual percentage of Americans who don't have insurance that are treated in another country. Yes, Americans of all types from students to tax evaders travel to different countries and don't alway have insurance.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I'm concerned that my medical insurance and car insurance premiums are rising, and some illegals are taking, taking, taking, on the taxpayer's dime, and not putting much if anything back into the economy. How am I deciding who lives and dies? I have no problem with stabilizing someone in the ER, but uncompensated long term and specialized care is draining our resources. I think the speaker in the youtube video stated that the illegal problem in Fla is costing the state about 100 million yearly. That's only one state.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
You don't know the actual percentage of Americans who don't have insurance that are treated in another country. Yes, Americans of all types from students to tax evaders travel to different countries and don't alway have insurance.

If this treatment were so easily available, then why are illegals coming here for treatment? Are these countries to which you refer third world, or industrialized? I'm referring to third world countries. Also, I can't believe that the numbers of Americans seeking care in other countries is anywhere the numbers of illegals receiving treatment here.