Bilingual

Do you think EMS providers should have to learn other languages?

• Total voters

Sasha

Forum Chief
Reading the communication/assesment debate on another thread, I'm wondering others opinions on this.

Do you think EMTs/Paramedics should be required to at least learn enough of whatever the dominant second (Or third language) is in your response area to do a decent assesment? For example, those in Miami being required to learn Spanish?

Does your service provide interperter services available by phone? Do you have a Spanish/Italian/German/French/etc dictionary?

frdude1000

Forum Captain
In my area (washington, d.c. area), their are SO many languages spoken. Their are alot of people who speak spanish, and their are always people from other countries visiting our nations capital. A lot of our members speak other languages (spanish, chinese, french) which can be helpful. We also keep a book with assesment questions in many different languages handy. I do not think it should be REQUIRED to speak the second dominant language, but i think you should HAVE a guidebook including the language and others.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
As others have stated, I don't think learning another language should be mandatory. That said, I would think medics would want to know how to communicate to large sections of their patients. English is my second language - I immigrated from Finland. I learned French when I lived in Canada, and am now learning Spanish. (gotta torment as large a population as I can.....)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Spanish is highly advised as a second language to get a healthcare job in Miami. Some employers in the past did require it until English became the official language (1988) of Florida. There are still some hospitals where Spanish is the primary language and English rarely heard.

We keep a couple of laminiated flip boards with pictures and associated words in a few different languages. These boards can also be used for children, the deaf, aphasic, trached or ventilated patients to assist in communication.

Body language and gestures must also be understood as some may have a very different meaning to another culture even if the same language is spoken. I learned early about the different cultural differences among the Spanish speaking countries and those from the islands.

Religions or other cultural difference must also be acknowledged. Some may not understand why a Jehovah's Witness patient is apprehensive about going to a trauma center if one didn't know a little about their beliefs. Even diffusing a volitale situation with a member of the Aryan Nation and their healthcare providers can be handled professionally if a little knowledge is shown to demonstrate an understanding but still give care regardless of beliefs.

Good communication can still be accomplished even if the languages are different. However, in the hospitals, having access to information in their own language is now a patient right and compliance is now being mandated by accrediting agencies. There are many language services available to assist in this.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
While I think it is a good idea, I do not think it should be manditory. Perhaps a system like the military uses would be good. No second language is required, but a pay bonus is given to those who do know a second language.

Aroung here I'd have to learn Russian!!:wacko:

reaper

Working Bum
I voted no. I grew up in South Florida, where Spanish is almost the first language. I worked a lot of jobs where I dealt with Spanish customers. I have never had a problem getting them to understand what I needed or to understand what they needed.

Sorry, but I feel that English is the countries official language and it should be learned, if you come here. I do not go to other countries and expect them to learn English to speak to me. Many cultures do not allow their kids to speak their language outside the home, in this country. It is a respect idea.

Most Spanish speaking people do understand enough English to get by. We do have a phone interpreter available if needed, but I have never had a need to use it. I think that it is OK to learn a second language, if that is what you want. But, I see no thought of making it mandatory for someone to do it!

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I voted no becasue is should not be mandatory, a good idea yes, but to discriminate against a really great Medic because they can't speak anything other than English isn't fair. I know some Spanish (all my grandma speaks) and some Sign Language (a diversion while taking EMS/Rescue courses).

Oh course this thread could easily go the "We live in America, if they can't speak English then tough on them" way. But that attitude, while acceptable from various political arenas, doesn't fly when we are talking about providing the best possible care regrdless of race or language. Yes, all people should have to learn to speak the language of the country they plan on living in, but it ain't gonna happen and we need to deal with it to provide the best possible care. If that means learning enough Spanish or whatever to get by, then so be it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No! Sorry, I have visited other countries and if I was to live there I would honor their tradition and learn their main language. I can understand as well, if the area is high volume of tourist area but to require? No.

Since I work in a high concentrated Native American area, I guess the table could be reversed and require us to learn their language as since there was some of the original tribes here before the white man.....

R/r 911

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Since the United States has no official language I wouldn't mind having to learn another language.

I've taken 7 years of spanish, but I dont know any medical spanish so it is only somewhat useful.

medic417

The Truth Provider
No habla inglish. Quite toda la ropas hora. Que dolor mi pecho. Ayuda mi. No tengo dinero. Donde esta. Quin necesita ayuda?

Ok.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I know some Spanish (all my grandma speaks) and some Sign Language (a diversion while taking EMS/Rescue courses).

Oh, and I know a little Klingonesse for those trekkie patients I have been known to treat. :rolleyes:

klingon_blood.jpg

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
I think Spanish should be officially the United State's second language. The population is large enough now and in about 20 years those of Spanish descent will outnumber Caucasians if the trend continues. It's the US, the nation has always adapted to those living in it. I don't see why language should be any different. Anyways, changing road signs to make sure everyone can read them isn't a bad thing.

This doesn't mean everyone should learn the second language. Just look at Canada. It's a strong plus to know French (in the Western provinces) but that's it. I don't think it should be required for Paramedics as long as there are others that can easily come on scene and translate.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have become very fluent in speaking Budweiser, Coors, and many of the countless other dialects of Beer that are spoken in my area. Does that count for anything?

Seriously though, I don't think it should be required to learn a second language. Even though we have a pretty large hispanic population, most of them do speak broken English, and understand most of it - at leat until the cops show up.
1711.gif

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
While I would not support a nationwide mandate for bilingualism in EMS, I would indeed make it a requirement from graduation from any paramedic degree program that I directed. Either four semesters of conversational Spanish, or passing a standardized test for proficiency, like the DLPT or SLPE would be required.

That said, I tend to have little sympathy for those who come to America with no intention of assimilating into the native culture. And I do not support government efforts to enable them to get by without having to even make an effort. However, the simple fact is that, this is something that will make you better able to perform your job, so a professional commitment to doing so is to be encouraged.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Nope, they live here, I don't live there.

Would it be NICE if someone CHOSE to learn? Sure. But if I get forced to learn a language because someone else doesn't learn the unofficial primary one here, just to keep my job, I'd be irked.

I think Spanish should be officially the United State's second language.

Problem with that idea; we don't even have an official primary language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I tend to have little sympathy for those who come to America with no intention of assimilating into the native culture.

"Any imigrant who comes to America should be required to learn english within 5 years or leave." -Theadore Roosevelt

Not that I agree with that (for fear of angre replys). But I agree with what you said 100%: "And I do not support government efforts to enable them to get by without having to even make an effort. However, the simple fact is that, this is something that will make you better able to perform your job, so a professional commitment to doing so is to be encouraged." but manditory? Nope!

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
"Any imigrant who comes to America should be required to learn english within 5 years or leave." -Theadore Roosevelt

Not that I agree with that (for fear of angre replys).
:lol: Sad, but true.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Not that I agree with that (for fear of angre replys).

I'm not.

If I move to a country to live, even if for just a moderate amount of time, you bet your butt I'll make an attempt to learn enough of the language to get through every day life, if not more. The same should be expected of ANYONE moving ANYWHERE.

It's common sense and courtesy.