BIG cinicals question

Mikel512

Forum Probie
okay so Im going through a paramedic school in TX right now and I am almost done(GPA 95.3) but the school only has contracts with companies way away from where i live... this originally was not the plan with my school...anyways the question is what steps do I take to get to do my clinicals with a local EMS, for example the one i work for and my wife's mother also says she can get me rotations at the hospital she works at, she is a preceptor for nursing students and a professor at a local college for the nursing program...How should i go about this?? i cannot afford to stay 8 hours away with a pregnant wife and not work?? PLEASE no sarcasm...if you have something negative to say keep it your opinions to yourself....

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
you need to discuss this with your school. at least in ma, there are forms and waivers and insurance and all sorts of stuff needed to allow a medic intern to practice in their facility/on their trucks.

nobody here will be able to give you a better answer than your school. if youve spoken to your school and their answer is that you have to do your rotations at the approved sites, then thats the answer.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Yup, what KEV said. Schools usually have formal contracts set up with clinical sites that cover insurance etc. Also approval must come from the medical directer at some point and at least in WI whoever the medical director for that service is needs to sign your training permit application so you should start working on it soon as that's not a particularly speedy process.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
to add to what i previously wrote:

when i was in medic school, the clinical coordinator was busy working on the contracts fo the clinical sites. now i dont know if they had to be renewed every year, if they were expanding the sites or really any of the details. all i can tell you was that this woman was pullign her hair out over the details. it was all we ever talked about. everyhting had to be written just so for it to be above board.

as ive said no less than a dozen times, i dont know a damn thing about ems operations and education in another state. ive spent every day of my career in ma, so i dont know how this relates to your state. but this is how it is here. i would doubt that, if the procedures are similar in your state, your schools clinical coordinator is going to jump through all the hoops for little old you.

JPINFV

Gadfly
/me wonders how you can have a GPA of 95.3 since letter grades are normally assigned a value between 0 and 4.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Accredited schools or learning institutions usually have Clinical Contracts set and designed between the school and wherever (i.e. EMS, Hospital, Clinic). Theses may for various lengths of time (dependent on State and local laws) the usual is 1-3 years in length.

Things alike number of students, roles & responsibilities of the site, education, and insurance and liability is usually in the contract. Each site signs and validates before clinicals are given.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Was the location of the clinicals unknown to you when you started?

OP
OP
M

Mikel512

Forum Probie
/me wonders how you can have a GPA of 95.3 since letter grades are normally assigned a value between 0 and 4.

its an average of all the grades from all test i have taken combined,,, i have no idea how they grade.. most of all my grades have some decimals!!! dont know why they cant just round it:glare:

JPINFV

Gadfly
That's not a grade point average then. It's just an average.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Yup, like everyone else said... you have to talk to the school you are taking the courses at. Most, if not all, have to have a contract set up with services they send their students to for clinicals. I just got out of medic school last summer, and there were a couple of students that wanted to do clinicals at their local ambulance service. They just talked to the clinical coordinator and she got it all set up for them. The services had to meet certain requirements in order for the student to have it count towards their certification requirements.

Hope everything turns out in your favor and good luck during the rest of school,