Best states for EMS?

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Okay, so I'm getting excessivly frustrated with the lack of emt jobs in california. And I've always wanted to get away from good o'l so-cal...

What states would you guys suggest for more EMS jobs, decent protocols, pay, ect. I'm more leaning toward southern states but I'm definitly open to suggestions. I'm looking for 911 experience and I need my hours for medic school.

Thanks in advance you guys! ^_^

atropine

Forum Captain
Stay in Cali the weather alone is well worht it. The midwest sucks and the east has crapy weather and now earthquakes.

socalemt123

Forum Crew Member
So Cal does have the best weather. I must agree.

Are you looking to work for a 911 company or do you mind working IFT until you get called for 911? Because I have a few friends who have been working IFT while they wait for a call from AMR and it's only been 3-6 months depending on what AMR's you applied for.

atropine

Forum Captain
Iam still a license Paramedic, Iam just going to RT school now, used to work for a large metro fire department in the los angeles area.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Stay in Cali the weather alone is well worht it. The midwest sucks and the east has crapy weather and now earthquakes.

The weather is worth having to either work three jobs or fight your way into the rare fire-medic job that pops up to make a decent salary?

As far as the east having earthquakes:

earthquake.jpg

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
Texas is, without a doubt, one of the best places to be in EMS. There are some excellent services here and we don't have a heavily regulated set of statewide or county protocols. The medical directors for individual EMS services have the ability to set the protocols for their services.

The negative, however, is that, especially in some of the metro areas, there are some pretty shady private services.

EMT-23

Forum Crew Member
does california take the same national registry as everyone else? ok well TEXAS is pretty good for EMS...

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
Texas is, without a doubt, one of the best places to be in EMS. There are some excellent services here and we don't have a heavily regulated set of statewide or county protocols. The medical directors for individual EMS services have the ability to set the protocols for their services.

The negative, however, is that, especially in some of the metro areas, there are some pretty shady private services.

The area that we are in is great for EMS. Thankfully we also have a good medical director. While I may disagree with some of his thinking he gives us the ability to deviate from protocols when justified as long as we call and tell him afterwards. We also all have his cell number and can contact him anytime for medical control if we have a question.

In general Harris County TX has someone hiring for 911 jobs at any given time. It will take some searching however just based on the size of the area and number of providers. There are a few good privates that from what I hear pay well. But as said above. Inside the City of Houston there are some really shady companies

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
Not California Not California Not California Not California...

OP
OP
IRIDEZX6R

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain

medic417

The Truth Provider
Not new jersey not new jersey not new jersey.

emt junkie

Forum Probie
The area that we are in is great for EMS. Thankfully we also have a good medical director. While I may disagree with some of his thinking he gives us the ability to deviate from protocols when justified as long as we call and tell him afterwards. We also all have his cell number and can contact him anytime for medical control if we have a question.

In general Harris County TX has someone hiring for 911 jobs at any given time. It will take some searching however just based on the size of the area and number of providers. There are a few good privates that from what I hear pay well. But as said above. Inside the City of Houston there are some really shady companies

+1 on Texas

hoss42141

Forum Crew Member
I know KY has openings like crazy for both EMT and medic. Depends on where you work pay starts out any where from 8.50-12.00 which isn't this at bad for KY. LOL.

atropine

Forum Captain
Go where the cash is my friend look, ems is ems, you start IV's in California you start IV's in Flordia, you give nitro in Texas you give the same nitro in Washington. Maybe Iam bias being born and raised in southern cali, but I got to say the weather is great, the money is good in excess of over 100k a year, and you only have to work about ten days out of the month and if you work more then you get more $$$$, and where else can you retire with 90 percent of your base pay (at least for now:p). Yeah you might have to fight fire every now and then, but those who can't whine I guess, anyways just my opinion.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
Go where the cash is my friend look, ems is ems, you start IV's in California you start IV's in Flordia, you give nitro in Texas you give the same nitro in Washington. Maybe Iam bias being born and raised in southern cali, but I got to say the weather is great, the money is good in excess of over 100k a year, and you only have to work about ten days out of the month and if you work more then you get more $$$$, and where else can you retire with 90 percent of your base pay (at least for now:p). Yeah you might have to fight fire every now and then, but those who can't whine I guess, anyways just my opinion.
If you somehow manage to get a now pretty much extinct FF/PM job with LAFD (they're the only ones who pay anything like that excluding a handful of very small other departments, and some departments up in the Bay Area). And even if you do, this gravy train's heyday is coming to an end. People, including grand juries, are beginning to realize that this is unsustainable.

Last edited by a moderator: