Best State for EMS (all around).

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
I know there's a lot of variables when it comes to EMS, but here's a hypothetical question. Say you're an EMT-B wanting the absolute best opportunity for a long-term career in EMS and you're willing to move where ever that mythical place might be.

So I guess the discussion should be on the best State with the most opportunities for employment, higher pay, room for advancement (now and in the future -> like EMT to Medic to FTO/Preceptior to Operations etc), modern scope of practice/protocols, benefits, cost of living, larger cities, and anything else that might persuade you or someone else to take a job in that area.

Some of us really want a career in EMS, it just depends on how bad we want it and what we're willing to do.

Just thought this would be a good topic of discussion for those of us in States that are struggling.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems like it is more of a Best Service around question, not state.

You could have all of those or none of those in any state.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I know there's a lot of variables when it comes to EMS, but here's a hypothetical question. Say you're an EMT-B wanting the absolute best opportunity for a long-term career in EMS and you're willing to move where ever that mythical place might be.

So I guess the discussion should be on the best State with the most opportunities for employment, higher pay, room for advancement (now and in the future -> like EMT to Medic to FTO/Preceptior to Operations etc), modern scope of practice/protocols, benefits, cost of living, larger cities, and anything else that might persuade you or someone else to take a job in that area.

Some of us really want a career in EMS, it just depends on how bad we want it and what we're willing to do.

Just thought this would be a good topic of discussion for those of us in States that are struggling.

Probably not Massachusetts with everything that's been going on :wacko:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I liked NM's. Pay was decent, a lot of decent services, good scope for EMTs, long rural transport areas.

OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Seems like it is more of a Best Service around question, not state.

You could have all of those or none of those in any state.

Kind of, but a lot of it can be narrowed down by state to state comparisons.
Just for a broad picture.

Best service would be somewhat impossible to pinpoint in my opinion.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Any answer you get on this subject is going to be either biased or lack enough data to support it. I'm guessing there are extremely few people to none who have held certs and worked in all 50 states.

That being said, I like WA because of the fairly liberal policy concerning the county's ability to manipulate state protocols to fit their needs. Our state DOH leave much to be desired, but overall, the WA EMS system works pretty well.

OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Any answer you get on this subject is going to be either biased or lack enough data to support it. I'm guessing there are extremely few people to none who have held certs and worked in all 50 states.

That being said, I like WA because of the fairly liberal policy concerning the county's ability to manipulate state protocols to fit their needs. Our state DOH leave much to be desired, but overall, the WA EMS system works pretty well.

I completely agree, which is why I thought it would be good for discussion, and a way to learn a little more about different areas.

WA would be nice, for EMS and the location... can you get me a job? :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You're not the first I've heard this from.

I'm seriously considering moving back once I get my medic. I love Rural EMS

OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
I'm seriously considering moving back once I get my medic. I love Rural EMS

That's kind of where I am now, in the middle of CA in the Country.
There's just no jobs and I don't want to commute a huge distance.
When I did work ALS in 07, it was amazing being out here.

That's why if it were close enough, I just might consider a move if there's solid opportunities out there.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Well, it sure as heck aint Texas

I take offense to this. While we have TEEX and the 10 week wonders working against us, we are also home to some of the finest services in the nation. Think Austin/Travis County, Montgomery County Hospital District and Cypress Creek EMS. We also have one of the few clinicaly based EMS Bachelor's degrees in the country at UTHSC SA

In addition, the medical delegation laws of the state allow unparaleled scope to just about anywhere else in the nation, albeit this can be a VERY double edged sword...

EMS in Texas is a mixed bag, but I certainly wouldn't rate it at the bottom of the pile.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I take offense to this. While we have TEEX and the 10 week wonders working against us, we are also home to some of the finest services in the nation. Think Austin/Travis County, Montgomery County Hospital District and Cypress Creek EMS. We also have one of the few clinicaly based EMS Bachelor's degrees in the country at UTHSC SA

In addition, the medical delegation laws of the state allow unparaleled scope to just about anywhere else in the nation, albeit this can be a VERY double edged sword...

EMS in Texas is a mixed bag, but I certainly wouldn't rate it at the bottom of the pile.

Ahhh....chill. He is a kiwi. Unless he lived in TX I'm not sure where he came up with that. :p

What are TEEX and the 10 week wonders?

atropine

Forum Captain
That's kind of where I am now, in the middle of CA in the Country.
There's just no jobs and I don't want to commute a huge distance.
When I did work ALS in 07, it was amazing being out here.

That's why if it were close enough, I just might consider a move if there's solid opportunities out there.

Stay in cali pal, I mean iam not sure what your asking there are a lot of factors in your post, to me the most important one is pay and retirement, if you can swing the fire medic thing it will be well worth it. We have this thing call cal peers, and a formula that is called 3@50, so if you manage to get 30 years of service in and reach fifty years of age you get 90 percent of your base pay, and it is usually at top step, i know retired captains pulling in 8k a month just for fishing and doing what ever else they want, just something to consider.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ahhh....chill. He is a kiwi. Unless he lived in TX I'm not sure where he came up with that. :p

What are TEEX and the 10 week wonders?

TEEX is a 10 week paramedic program. A super medic-mill

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
TEEX is a 10 week paramedic program. A super medic-mill

Holy crud! You can't be serious. 10 weeks!!! That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. No way in heck can you learn to be a medic in 10 weeks. It would take me way more than the two years required here in WA state. I was barely ready to be a basic after 140 hours.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No way in heck can you learn to be a medic in 10 weeks.

Who said anything about learning?

But as usalsfyre stated, I would put Texas at the top of the list, not the bottom, just because of Texas' somewhat lower education requirements than some states for initial paramedic certification.

Again... ATcEMS and CCEMS.

OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Stay in cali pal, I mean iam not sure what your asking there are a lot of factors in your post, to me the most important one is pay and retirement, if you can swing the fire medic thing it will be well worth it. We have this thing call cal peers, and a formula that is called 3@50, so if you manage to get 30 years of service in and reach fifty years of age you get 90 percent of your base pay, and it is usually at top step, i know retired captains pulling in 8k a month just for fishing and doing what ever else they want, just something to consider.

Honestly, I don't really have any desire to go into fire. I'd like to work as an EMT, go to Medic school, finish my degree then see what happens. Maybe move into the Operations side, who knows. One step at a time though.

It was just a topic for discussion, not a subliminal message for me wanting to secretly uproot my family. My wife would kill me anyway, haha.