Been "swarmed" yet?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
A friend was in a minor MVA, no injuries, but the other motorist was hysterical and angry, got on the cell phone and as LE rolled up, so did a few cars with angry friends and family raring to fight. Another friend who was a deputy coroner said she had heard of that sort of thing but not seen it personally.
Anyone experience it yet?

Sasha

Forum Chief
A friend was in a minor MVA, no injuries, but the other motorist was hysterical and angry, got on the cell phone and as LE rolled up, so did a few cars with angry friends and family raring to fight. Another friend who was a deputy coroner said she had heard of that sort of thing but not seen it personally.

It happened to my cousin, almost got his butt handed to him but the LEO showed up. (would have done him good to get his butt kicked, though. )

Hockey

Quackers
Yep seen it first hand while at work and also involved.

Both times, people were on the ground sprawled out at gun point

Just got to remember, there is always more coming

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
One of the reasons I agree with Conceal Carry...

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief

I'd leave if I could. Perhaps goto my car to get my information, and then book it down the road and call police. Sorry, I'd rather risk get charged with leaving the scene of an accident than getting my butt kicked by an angry mob.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief

What would you do? Show them your gun and think everything would go away? Pull it? Bad idea. I agree with conceal carry and am a big proponent of gun owners rights but, there isn't a need to pull a firearm into this situation. That wouldn't end well.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wasn't "swarmed", but had a road-rage incident happen to me on Saturday on the way to class.

Was driving to school. Another driver had a yield sign, but tried to pass and got cut off by the car infront of him. He got angry, got behind me and started honking and flashing his lights. I drive on, exit, and he follows, still doing the honking. I call 911 and start telling the dispatcher what's going on.

Get up to a yield sign, and the car in front of me stops, so I stop. The driver gets out of his car, walks up to mine, and starts banging on my window yelling. I told the dispatcher his license plate, car model and make, and general description as I drive off. The dispatcher ask where I was at and I told her I'd be in a Chase bank parking lot in about 20 seconds-- she says there are a couple of police officers nearby.

I enter the parking lot and he follows. Suddenly, he turns to leave and gets back on the road to get on the highway, and I tell the dispatcher. She yelled to another dispatcher what was going on, who relayed it to the cops. At this time a cop car comes speeding around the corner and pulls him over. Another cop joins seconds later and they force him out and on the ground at gunpoint.

My face ---- ^_^

Not really a swarm, but same general idea. If you want a real "swarm" I have one from my EMT clinical time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Just about every MVA or assault call we go on, we're swarmed by various family members and gang members.

That's where I learned that swinging a backboard in a big arc as I'm getting it in place to put the patient on it will cause the "sea to part" so to speak.

We've had "swarmers" get arrested, and even tased while we were on scene so our local LEO's are aware of the problem. We usually designate one or two firefighters on scene to watch the crowd, and that becomes their sole job while we're on scene.

medic417

The Truth Provider
We usually designate one or two firefighters on scene to watch the crowd, and that becomes their sole job while we're on scene.

So you finally found a way to get fire fighters out of the recliners?:p

Scenes though can erupt quickly.

Hockey

Quackers
Just about every MVA or assault call we go on, we're swarmed by various family members and gang members.

That's where I learned that swinging a backboard in a big arc as I'm getting it in place to put the patient on it will cause the "sea to part" so to speak.

We've had "swarmers" get arrested, and even tased while we were on scene so our local LEO's are aware of the problem. We usually designate one or two firefighters on scene to watch the crowd, and that becomes their sole job while we're on scene.

Are you saying you show aggression to the public?!?! How DARE you!

:D

(Hopefully you know I'm just kidding by that :) )

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
That's quite common in many areas. If that starts happening on a call, whether it be worried family or angry family, finish up you most basic ABC's and do the rest inside the ambulance. Angry yelling can easily degrade to angry shoving, despite you trying to help their friend if they think you're not going fast enough, not doing the correct treatment, or if you try get them out of your way once they've latched on to the patient.

For the more "violent" calls, you can easily have several dozen to over a hundred people crowd your scene in a residential area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Summit

Critical Crazy
In other countries, particularly South America, it is not uncommon for there to be violence begotten upon the victim judged to be the cause... even if they are already severely injured.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Are you saying you show aggression to the public?!?! How DARE you!

:D

(Hopefully you know I'm just kidding by that :) )

Me show aggression? NEVER!!!

I'm trying to position my equipment to treat the patient, that's all. :p

Cory

Forum Captain

Ridiculous, they get angry so your going to shoot ALL of them? You get the chance to pull it out, and your cover is already blown. You MIGHT get lucky enough to shoot one, but then you've got everyone else on you, and the cops are suddenly against you too.

reaper

Working Bum
Ridiculous, they get angry so your going to shoot ALL of them? You get the chance to pull it out, and your cover is already blown. You MIGHT get lucky enough to shoot one, but then you've got everyone else on you, and the cops are suddenly against you too.

Lets see, me vs 20 angry people, looking to hurt or kill me. Yeah, I have no problem taking out as many as possible!

Until you have been in the middle of a riot scene, you will not understand the mentality that arises!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Lets see, me vs 20 angry people, looking to hurt or kill me. Yeah, I have no problem taking out as many as possible!

I disagree. Do you really think that you'll make the situation better by killing people? How do you know they aren't carrying as well?

Congrats. You've just made a bad situation, worse.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Pulling a gun on an angry crowd in some areas would be a good way to get yourself smoked.

Cory

Forum Captain

Until you have been in the middle of a riot scene, you will not understand the mentality that arises!

For some reason you seem to believe they will all run when you pull out aa gun. What if they have guns? Then you really think you can take out that many people before they get you?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I liked Linuss's police swarm.

And that was in Texas, home of the armed and the polite.
As in "An armed society is a polite society".;)Glad you made it out OK Linuss.

Without pointing at ANYONE, the firearm thing is moot here, please go peddle your childish fantasies elsewhere in existant threads.

reaper

Working Bum
I disagree. Do you really think that you'll make the situation better by killing people? How do you know they aren't carrying as well?

Congrats. You've just made a bad situation, worse.

I am talking a true mob mentality! If it is just a few angry family on scene, they can be talked down or let LEO handle it. If in your lifetime, you ever have the displeasure of working in a real riot scene, you will soon learn that they will kill you for the fun of it. Yes, I would defend myself to the end!

For some reason you seem to believe they will all run when you pull out aa gun. What if they have guns? Then you really think you can take out that many people before they get you?
I sure as hell would not stand by and be beat to death, for their pleasure!

Without pointing at ANYONE, the firearm thing is moot here, please go peddle your childish fantasies elsewhere in existant threads.

These are all spoken by ones that have never experienced real riot situations! As said, if this is a true riot, then you better be prepared to defend yourself to the end. You can only hope that they will run after the first few shots and give you a chance to retreat!

If this is just a few people, then try to talk them down or retreat. Leave the Pt, leave the equipment, just retreat to a safe place.