Baltimore City, MD

BCMedic

Forum Ride Along
Baltimore City FD is hiring lateral entry Medics.

Can't post links yet but just go to the balt city government site and work your way to employment opportunities.

You will get trained in FF1, FF2 and Hazmat Ops but you will not be assigned to suppression companies your whole career.

rforeman

Forum Probie
BCMEDIC, what type of schedule do the Medics work? And what if any are the residency requirements?

Thanks,

Rob

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Two ten hour days and two fourteen hour nights followed by four days off. Expect to get ur *** handed to you the entire shift on the medic. Moral is low and so is the pay. No residency requirement.

rforeman

Forum Probie
Thanks canman. Im used to getting my *** kicked all shift and having low spirits. Plus lord knows aint none of us in this for the money!!! Is there an academy to go thru if hired?

OP
OP
B

BCMedic

Forum Ride Along
You do go through an academy. Pay is still the lowest in the state but is a lot closer to what the counties make then the past.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Why don't you test apply for Alexandria Fire and EMS? Much better deal, and a 24/48, 24/96 schedule?

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Second this ^^^^ although def would not live in Northern VA. Prices are crazy and the traffic is insane.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Why don't you test apply for Alexandria Fire and EMS? Much better deal, and a 24/48, 24/96 schedule?

I heard recently that Alexandria was absorbing the EMS side into the fire side, and that with that, they wouldn't be on that schedule anymore?

I would love to work that schedule. Sounds fantastic.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
I heard recently that Alexandria was absorbing the EMS side into the fire side, and that with that, they wouldn't be on that schedule anymore?

They have been saying that for the last few recruit classes but it hasnt happened yet. I know that they have an EMS recruit school graduating soon so maybe another round of hiring isnt far away.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

Alexandria wants to put out engine medics. There was a scare about making all new hires cross train for fire, offer fire training to single role medics, and to make it untenable for medics that don't want to cross over, so that they quit. That all blew over for now. What I've been told is that new hires must pass a CPAT, and after the first year they're not mandated to cross train for fire.

I used to work at a house that borders Alex, but now I'm on the west end, so I don't run into Alex medics anymore. If I get call back out that way, I'll try to get an update.

BTW, did you get into the Bob Page lectures?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
That schedule does sound great. Alexandria doesn't have any current listings for EMT-P's though.

It appears you're right. I do know they hired a bunch in 2011.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Alexandria wants to put out engine medics. There was a scare about making all new hires cross train for fire, offer fire training to single role medics, and to make it untenable for medics that don't want to cross over, so that they quit. That all blew over for now. What I've been told is that new hires must pass a CPAT, and after the first year they're not mandated to cross train for fire.

I used to work at a house that borders Alex, but now I'm on the west end, so I don't run into Alex medics anymore. If I get call back out that way, I'll try to get an update.

BTW, did you get into the Bob Page lectures?

No, I didn't.

I'm not seriously interested, just talking. It would be nice to get back into a big urban system, but I am staying in la la land for family reasons.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
No, I didn't.

I'm not seriously interested, just talking. It would be nice to get back into a big urban system, but I am staying in la la land for family reasons.

We may move to Gettysburg in a couple of years (50/50). If I do, I might look to work per diem a department with an urban environment in NJ near NYC, maybe two back to back shifts once a month on one of my four day breaks or something. The other FF/medic in my station has a strong hook there that I can use if I want. Otherwise, I may try to get a per diem spot in my old hospital and get back into NYC 911 EMS, the only place that's actually challenged me somewhat. I'd be too far from VMT to do regular tours, unless I transfer to the Martinsburg station perhaps, but I'd rather drive the extra hour or so to do gritty urban 911 if I'm already that far away from my current part time employer. Gettysburg is only about 70-75 mins from my current station in Fairfax, so it isn't too bad.