Background Checks for Clinicals?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
This issue came up at our local hospital recently. The local community college sponsors our EMT-B class. The clinical time is completed in the (yes, just one) local hospital ER. Now, according to the college, anyone can sign up for the EMT class, regardless of background. The instructor can choose to fill the class first with those sponsored by an agency. (Several volly fire departments, the national park, SAR, and a private amb. are a few of the agencies who sponsor students)

Now, if there are additional openings, the college has to allow anyone to take the class. They can take the test and pass the class, however, they are not 'certified' until they are associated with an agency and can operate under the local MPD.

The ER was asked by their legal eagles who was performing the background checks on the students doing clinical time. Most of them have completed background checks through the agency that sponsored them. But what about those who are not associated with an agency?

If the clinical time is part of the class, and the class must legally be open to all, how is the background check done, or are there instances where those who shouldn't are being allowed access to 'at risk' adults?

I'm just curious if this is being addressed or even seen as an issue in other areas. Your thoughts?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm... I think that there should be a background check anytime you have someone who will be in a care provider position around powerful narcotics, vulnerable patients, highly personal information, etc etc.

One of the requirements to sign up for my EMT class was to go online and pay $6 to print off a state background check. It's not that difficult, and I believe that everyone in a clinical setting should have a background check. If I were running an EMS education program, I would want to have a new background check for every applicant, even if they came from an agency. For liability issues, I would want to have my own assurance that they have no record rather than relying on their agency and hoping that they've cleared their employees.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't remember submitting to any background checks until I got to the actual certification phase. To the best of my knowledge (and since the course was only $40, I doubt that they would spend extra money), there was no background check until after I was done with the class, including hospital and ambulance time.

Background checks were required, though, for the hospital volunteer group I was associated with.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
At the orientation for my Paramedic Course, we were given the information for a background check agency. We were required to register with them, pay the fee, and they conducted our background checks. The results were then forwarded to the college, who in turn forwarded them to our clinical sites that required background checks.

OP
OP
BossyCow

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Like I said initially, its not an issue with those students who come to the class through an agency, and in our area, there are very few who enter the class without that background check.

I'm just curious if this has been seen as an issue or addressed in other areas.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess with our class it did not matter where we came from. All of us, except one, came from either Fire Departments or the Counties EMS agency. All of us had undergone background checks as well. The counties background check went back 10 years. It did not matter. The college, as well as our clinical sites, all required new updated background checks to be completed prior to start of clinicals.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
My college will not allow anyone to enroll in an EMT -B class without a valid CPR card, health check (including immunizations and a hep B signoff) and a background check. These 3 cards must be presented to the instructor on the first day of class - else no class. I think it's a good way to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
If I remember correctly ( and it is very possible that I do not
588.gif
), we had to sign a form allowing for a background check as part of our application into medic school.

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
Done the same way in my area....

My college will not allow anyone to enroll in an EMT -B class without a valid CPR card, health check (including immunizations and a hep B signoff) and a background check. These 3 cards must be presented to the instructor on the first day of class - else no class. I think it's a good way to do it.

And also a complete Medical physical and two uniforms one for the ER the other for the ambulance ride-along and your own bp cuff w/ stethoscope, penlight, shears, mini-note pad/pen, hospital picture ID, etc...

oneluv79

VentMedic

Forum Chief
There are many different types of background checks. One type could be just a personal reference, employment and education check. Another could add a credit check. The one that requires finger printing will be the one that picks up on criminal activity and aliases.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
It is pretty standard that a criminal backround check be done on people who will have access to patients confidential records.

NYS requires a criminal backround check on EMT applicants. All EMT class rosters are submitted to NYS DOH as well as a form submitted where you must sign that you are not a fellon. NYS does its own certificantion and all classes end in NYS certification tests. NREMT is separate. No agency affiliation is required.

JPINFV

Gadfly
And also a complete Medical physical and two uniforms one for the ER the other for the ambulance ride-along and your own bp cuff w/ stethoscope, penlight, shears, mini-note pad/pen, hospital picture ID, etc...

oneluv79

I'm sorry, but requiring people to buy equipment that they do not know which quality to get is stupid. The simple fact is that your clinical sites should be able to provide you with them, especially the ambulance ride rotation. Medical schools do the same damn thing (except with otoscopes and ophthalmoscope) and essentially everyone who buys them ends up selling them off to the 1st years.

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
Maybe so...

I'm sorry, but requiring people to buy equipment that they do not know which quality to get is stupid. The simple fact is that your clinical sites should be able to provide you with them, especially the ambulance ride rotation. Medical schools do the same damn thing (except with otoscopes and ophthalmoscope) and essentially everyone who buys them ends up selling them off to the 1st years.

I'm sure most places do that for students(which maybe every place is not the same), but not here, on my first day classes I(and classmates) were given a booklet(Handout) on the guidelines/conduct/appearance of how and what was expected of us as future EMS professionals etc... and a list of things(equipment, uniforms and boots/white sneakers) that we were responsible for to use outside class(es)(clinicals), which we had to bring to class for the instructor(s) to check off on before-hand, and if your did not have said items you were not allowed to do your clinicals until you did...And to top that off you had to get that same check off list signed by one following depending on your placement: the M.D of the ER/ the Paramedic you rode with that day/ the RN you shadowed in the ER and this was done for each clinical rotation (which spread a two month period and we were not allowed to them on the weekends)...And the cake-topper, all the instructor(s) are RNs' or higher, so they knew already if showed up unprepared....

oneluv79

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
We had to have an NCIC federal background check. We could not be have anything regarding abuse... neglect, sexual, child, elderly and we could not have been convicted of a felony. There were several MIP's, a DUI and 1 or 2 other little misdemeanor kind of things.

Katie

Forum Lieutenant

same for us, although we had an extra couple of weeks for the background check as we didn't start clinicals right away. in addition to that we were supposed to affiliate with a local fd. they also do their own set of background and health checks.