Austin Travis County EMS hiring Paramedics and paying them as Basics

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
What do you guys mean by "credentialing"? Is that just a process of becoming certified/licensed at a state or local level after previous national registration?

After the academy and FTO time we do a skill scenario in front of the academy captains, then we will sit in front of our medical director and he will interview us to see if we are where we need to be knowledge wise. Can be anything from the packet we received in the academy, from operations to patho-phys. If we pass both of those, we are a "credentialed" provider with no restrictions. Our packet was 300-400 questions of fair game for the interview. When paramedics were being hired as medics it was about 800 questions.

Without being credentialed you are not allowed to practice without a captain or FTO on the truck. You have 9 months from the day the academy starts to pass the interview or you'll be looking for another job.

MedicSansBrains

If it's the PC police then I'm not home.. got it?
Austin Recently had their budget review. The chief was questioned on why the EMS staff has such a high suicide and turnover rate. He said his budget hasn't caught up to the growth of the city.

The chief requested an extra 1.6 million dollars in the budget to move the system from a 48 hour work week to a 42 hour workweek. The request was granted so it seems that is the intention moving forward.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Like what?

Let's start with the overly long academy that spends more time worried about military style PE.

Bunker gear for every new cadet? Bunker gear that they don't use. SCBA's for every new cadet...again, that they never use. Wet suits for every new cadet...that they never use because they don't do water rescues.

Their extensive uniform list. Class A's so they can wear at graduation?

List goes on.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Let's start with the overly long academy that spends more time worried about military style PE.

Bunker gear for every new cadet? Bunker gear that they don't use. SCBA's for every new cadet...again, that they never use. Wet suits for every new cadet...that they never use because they don't do water rescues.

Their extensive uniform list. Class A's so they can wear at graduation?

List goes on.
I was under the impression that bunker gear is required by NFPA to be issued to the individual, so every new hire has to get measured and fitted to be compliant of the allow their employees to work in an IDLH or near an IDLH environment....so car accidents

I doubt they issue a new SCBA pack to every new hire, they probably just issue a mask, which i know is required un NFPA respiratory protection.SCBA masks are also a better choice for respiratory protection becuause they can be on air or with an adapter be on a P100 filter while providing integrated eye protection. Its a more secure method than glasses and a half face or N95.

Who does water rescues in that county?

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
We don't carry bunker gear...because that's fire's job.

And yes, they get the masks only, but that's still over $300 for something they don't use, and are the only service around here that has them that I know of.

Fire does water rescue. ATCEMS has spec ops teams that do water rescue. So, they need wet suits why?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
We don't carry bunker gear...because that's fire's job.

And yes, they get the masks only, but that's still over $300 for something they don't use, and are the only service around here that has them that I know of.

Fire does water rescue. ATCEMS has spec ops teams that do water rescue. So, they need wet suits why?

Another case of not knowing what the hell you're talking about, but it's ok. We are issued bunker gear yes. Not for fires, for pin ins with extended delays to pt care so we can go in the car. We get millennium masks, no SCBA. Which we all just had to turn in since we don't use them. We are not issued wet suites. We borrow them from a local dive shop FOR ONE DAY, while we do swift water training, then they are given back. Makes sense since Austin has major flooding and anyone can get caught up in it, if in the wrong situation. Yes we have rescue teams, so no regular medics are not dispatched to those calls unless standby. Extensive uniform list? Sorry we get more than one uniform a year like some people. Yes we have class A's. So doesn't every other public department. Do fire and PD wear there's all the time? No, but we all wear them at the same events. We did PT one hour a day, every morning, out of 8. Doesn't seem too focused on PT. Nor was it very military like. So in all, yes we have more tools than a private truck. Welcome to public safety. Are there things the department shouldn't be spending their money on? Sure, welcome to public safety. Know what you're talking about before you try and sound all knowing though. Have a good day.

Last edited:

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm well aware of what your bunker gear is for. Still a waste.

I have two close friends that went through the academy at the beginning of this year. You're pretty much confirming everything I said, are you not?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm well aware of what your bunker gear is for. Still a waste.

I have two close friends that went through the academy at the beginning of this year. You're pretty much confirming everything I said, are you not?

If you are talking about the point where I said money could be spent better? Sure, if you understand that I am not talking about the money on things I listed above...If you understand what the gear bunker gear is for, then how is that fires job that are all BLS?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't really see how that is wasteful. It would be nice for the paramedic to have something more than their uniform to access the patient on TAs. Eventually I hope to get my agency a grant to get extrication gear for that reason. If you don't feel that's necessary, by all means. We, and many other places do. We also carry SCBA masks and cartridges to go along with our Ebola suits. I doubt they will be used, but something had to be done and they were in fact the cheapest option from public health.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't really see how that is wasteful. It would be nice for the paramedic to have something more than their uniform to access the patient on TAs. Eventually I hope to get my agency a grant to get extrication gear for that reason. If you don't feel that's necessary, by all means. We, and many other places do. We also carry SCBA masks and cartridges to go along with our Ebola suits. I doubt they will be used, but something had to be done and they were in fact the cheapest option from public health.

Wait, you mean you employer cares about your well being in the field, waste of money!

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief

Do you have an agency with 500+ employees that all get issued scba's and do you think it's a good financial decision to buy that many people personal bunker gear?

Didn't think so.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Didn't think you'd be able to answer that question.

About being BLS? We have a slightly larger scope than fire, but that means nothing in MVAs really, but the knowledge base difference is black and white. I have only used it once since being here, but it was needed. Let fire have more hands on doing THEIR job by getting the patient out, while we did OUR job by taking care of the patient. Quit being so hard headed bud.

Can guarantee you if your employer gave you extra equipment, you wouldn't whine about it...

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
How many extrications have you worked? Being in the way is what we're good at. If fire can't handle ABC's then I don't know what to tell you. As a medic, there may be a slim chance extrication will be so prolonged that we will have to tube them, or needle decompression. But justifying bunker gear for every bls provider in a new company is not really an argument that can be backed.