Attitudes....

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Something I have really noticed lately, and has been buggin me.

The amount of attitude on here has risen exponentially.

I know that in EMS, we are, for the most part, a group of type A personalities, but damn guys, lately, most posts are just dripping with sarcasm, belittlement, and nastyness.

Sasha, where'd you go?

I need a freakin hug!

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I say we need to sing Kumbaya and toast marshmallows. Seriously, it would be fun.

Well, I like marshmallows anyway.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
I'm kinda on the "Hakuna Matata" philosophy right now in my life, I like it.

I like marshmallows too, maby get some s'mores going on too :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. Part of the problem today, is that too many attempt to make it a social club or hobby. Medicine is usually ruthless and can be perceived as snobby. Those that are prominent within the ranks recognize and realize the time required to become more than just proficient only reward is self pride.

It is the drive that many perceive and is the assumption its arrogance, when its not. There is a fine line between confidence and cockiness. Usually it is the perception of those that do not understand medicine nor have any clinical experience that has that perception.

When I first entered this forum; it was more a "good ole boys" forum with the hottest topics of what color of lens to place on their p.o.v. flashing lights. Medical debate was rare and most assumed they had to agree with each other... rather a boring site. This site keeps things civil. There are opinions I definitely disagree with but respect their opinion as I am sure there is others that feels the same way about me. This is part of being a professional. As well, one has to be able to be firm and defend one's opinion other than using an excuse of "following a protocol or that's how we always done it".

R/r 911

OP
OP
BLSBoy

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Rid, you know me from another site (under a different username), and I do agree that this is the most civil site, and that is because the mods actively participate in the discussions.

I am fairly confident in my skills and assessments, and that has rubbed some of the other medics I work with in the wrong way, since I am a new medic, so I have been labeled cocky and arrogant.

But there is a huge difference between knowing your stuff, and sharing it, as you do, and occasionally slapping a pup down, and knowing your stuff, and being condecending with it.

I'm not saying lets hold hands and sing kumba ya, but lets tone down the nastyness.

Although I'm still waiting for my hug Sasha! :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
I guess I don't see it... I like this site, I don't think anyone is unsually nasty.

This site is just like the "real world" where no one comes to work (or goes to this site) to give you fuzzies. Time for everyone to put on their big boy/girl panties (You know.. the ones with out Spiderman!) and get over it. Don't take it personally.

Sasha, where'd you go?

I need a freakin hug!

Well, hug yourself!

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
But I like spiderman... :glare:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I remember my first few posts here, I said something at Rid, and he put me in my place, and you know what? It's a good thing he did. It taught me a lesson about how to deal with :censored::censored::censored::censored:, and if it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't have lasted on this site. Being able to have good medical discussions is awesome. But on the flip side, so is having pointless convos, hence the reason we have the lounge.

I'm wearing batman right now.

It's all about spongebob.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I think its good to have occasional reminders that its possible to disagree even vehemently as long as we keep it on the issue. When a question about different treatment modalities turns into ... "Your system sucks" or a tirade that we've all heard a billion times about the apalling lack of educational standards in EMS, it just gets boring.

A soapbox is a good thing.. and I've stood on a few. But when you haul out the same rhetoric over and over and over and over and over and over and over ... well.. nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's all about spongebob.

Pssht. Spongebob is just a cheap floozy who is riding the curtails of Squidward's success.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Pssht. Spongebob is just a cheap floozy who is riding the curtails of Squidward's success.

Why did that give me a visual of Spongebob on a soapbox?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Nevar! Mr. Krabs <3

JPINFV

Gadfly
I actually try to avoid having crabs.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Sarcasm?

Out of EMS providers?!

NO!!!!!!!!

Later!

--Coop

medic417

The Truth Provider
Can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. Part of the problem today, is that too many attempt to make it a social club or hobby. Medicine is usually ruthless and can be perceived as snobby. Those that are prominent within the ranks recognize and realize the time required to become more than just proficient only reward is self pride.

It is the drive that many perceive and is the assumption its arrogance, when its not. There is a fine line between confidence and cockiness. Usually it is the perception of those that do not understand medicine nor have any clinical experience that has that perception.

When I first entered this forum; it was more a "good ole boys" forum with the hottest topics of what color of lens to place on their p.o.v. flashing lights. Medical debate was rare and most assumed they had to agree with each other... rather a boring site. This site keeps things civil. There are opinions I definitely disagree with but respect their opinion as I am sure there is others that feels the same way about me. This is part of being a professional. As well, one has to be able to be firm and defend one's opinion other than using an excuse of "following a protocol or that's how we always done it".

R/r 911

There is no education without debate. It is important that we express our opinions and back them up. I agree with you Rid at times this place gets to mellow with no confrontation to get people out of their comfort zones.

rmellish

Forum Captain
I think its good to have occasional reminders that its possible to disagree even vehemently as long as we keep it on the issue. When a question about different treatment modalities turns into ... "Your system sucks" or a tirade that we've all heard a billion times about the apalling lack of educational standards in EMS, it just gets boring.

A soapbox is a good thing.. and I've stood on a few. But when you haul out the same rhetoric over and over and over and over and over and over and over ... well.. nuff said.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

medic417

The Truth Provider

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
or a tirade that we've all heard a billion times about the apalling lack of educational standards in EMS, it just gets boring.
Man, I cannot think of a less boring topic in EMS! I can't think of a more important topic either. I seriously worry about anyone that doesn't think that education is a worthy topic of discussion. Everything in the profession comes back to education. Unfortunately, too many people without education are threatened by it, so they want to avoid the topic. Now THAT is a bad attitude. And that is a sad reality that keeps EMS from progressing.