ATCEMS hiring

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I saw this on FB and thought I'd share.

ATCEMS has opened the first EMS Medic-I Field hiring process of 2017 as we continue to increase our staffing for our new 42 hour work week. We are accepting applications until February 6th, 2017 for all certification levels. Individuals who meet the minimum requirements http://bit.ly/2hXRpxT and have their AEMT and EMT-B can apply at: http://bit.ly/2iGPkY8. Paramedics are eligible to apply for our new Medic-I Field Modified (paramedic only) here: http://bit.ly/2iVEhI5. Check out samples of our new shift schedules http://bit.ly/2iJK3Ns and new FAQ page http://bit.ly/2iGPChL and apply today!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I saw the modified process for medics, and I must say I'm interested

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Austin seems like a cool city, but how hard are their people getting ran these days?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Still have to be a basic for a year.
One year at a salary that approaches medic pay at a lot of places

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Is there is COLA? And do they pay all comers, medic or not the same I'd wonder. Again, cool town, but at this point it would be very hard for a fella like me to step back into that role, even for a year.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Is there is COLA? And do they pay all comers, medic or not the same I'd wonder. Again, cool town, but at this point it would be very hard for a fella like me to step back into that role, even for a year.
I could do it. And I'll ask a friend that works there. Besides I'd probably get a prn gig nearby just to keep in practice

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
19.42 an hour on a 42-hour work week is approximately $43k a year. Not exactly high-class living in Austin.

FWIW, we @ Creek hypothetically work 42-hour workweeks (either 3 48 + 1 24 or 2-48 2-36) and we're considerably healthier than that.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
19.42 an hour on a 42-hour work week is approximately $43k a year. Not exactly high-class living in Austin.

FWIW, we @ Creek hypothetically work 42-hour workweeks (either 3 48 + 1 24 or 2-48 2-36) and we're considerably healthier than that.
How do the retirements compare?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Well, the ATCEMS retirement is pretty freaking sweet (roughly comparable to what teachers and other civil servants get) but there's a Trump-sized caveat to it: their attrition % is terrible.

After 1-2 years, you're functionally making ~50k-ish a year, in an area that doesn't live terribly cheaply and that gets more expensive, in a busy high-performance urban EMS system. IIRC, they don't let you work part-time elsewhere until you clear the probationary period, but I could be wrong there (would need one of their people on here to confirm or deny). They don't RSI, they don't have vents or pumps or run anything other than 911, and they have some pretty serious operational problems and apparently had a reputation for using clinical clearance-pulling as a work-around for terminating people in spite of civil service protections (rumor, but a credible one).

Not my cup of tea, but it may be yours.

Meanwhile, we're hiring at Creek, and it is growing on me. There's a few things that I don't love, but it's not dealbreaking.

okayestEMT

Forum Probie
I could do it. And I'll ask a friend that works there. Besides I'd probably get a prn gig nearby just to keep in practice

I'm 99% sure that once you clear as a medic I (give or take 3-4 months total including the academy) you can pick up open shifts as a medic II as long as you have your paramedic cert, so you wouldn't have to give it up for an entire year. They had just implemented that policy about a year ago due to the need for als providers (not sure if that's still going on).

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm 99% sure that once you clear as a medic I (give or take 3-4 months total including the academy) you can pick up open shifts as a medic II as long as you have your paramedic cert, so you wouldn't have to give it up for an entire year. They had just implemented that policy about a year ago due to the need for als providers (not sure if that's still going on).
Well then, their infrastructure and hiring process seems pointless. I would really be interested to hear what a current ATCEMS employee has to offer.

okayestEMT

Forum Probie
Well then, their infrastructure and hiring process seems pointless. I would really be interested to hear what a current ATCEMS employee has to offer.
Been a while since I was there and that might have changed with the paramedic only hiring processes they have had.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

It's on a 42 hour work week though....so the hourly looks fancy but it's not as much as you'd think.

Just be patient and come work dual medic with me and make 15k a year more than Austin ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

That's not the case. Once you finish your academy and credentialing process as a Medic I then you finish your probationary year you have to do their ALS academy then ALS credentialing before you can work as a Medic II.

okayestEMT

Forum Probie
That's not the case. Once you finish your academy and credentialing process as a Medic I then you finish your probationary year you have to do their ALS academy then ALS credentialing before you can work as a Medic II.

I'm aware of that, this was just a loophole when they needed someone to work a Medic II shift and they had a lot of the Medic I guys who had their medic cert. I know some guys who went through the medic I academy with me that were able to do this after they cleared as a medic I. It might have just been for a short period of time though, not sure if it's still going on.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
@VentMonkey
Keep in mind they are going to 42hr work week so the pay would be like the "Comm" guys. There is no difference in pay if you work a 24hr or 12hr shift.
Also their is now a "modified-medic 1" so you start at a slightly higher pay which is the 1yr medic 1 pay.
3cad8e8ce07c305c53149e0f704ef8d3.jpg

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@VentMonkey
Keep in mind they are going to 42hr work week so the pay would be like the "Comm" guys. There is no difference in pay if you work a 24hr or 12hr shift.
Also their is now a "modified-medic 1" so you start at a slightly higher pay which is the 1yr medic 1 pay.
3cad8e8ce07c305c53149e0f704ef8d3.jpg
I think we both know I am not going anywhere anytime soon.

Also, if it's between going through several hoops to work in a high-volume system as a glorified tech for 1-2 years vs. 25-30 minutes just outside of the same area on a double medic unit with protocols that probably are more to my liking/ preference, and being at an all ALS service, there's hardly a doubt in my mind which service I'd still pick.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
@VentMonkey
I almost didn't post that because I know you aren't. But figured other people are curious even though I did the work for them. That being said, yes there is many other places that I'd rather go as well. But I think I am going to be joining the dark side. I love being a medic but it's hard when you work 60+hr work weeks for peanuts in pay, not really any different areas of work like nursing or educational progression to further your career.