Associates degree vs. Certification (Paramedic)

Michael Iacono

Forum Crew Member
So after careful deliberation I have decided that PA/Med School is not for me.

This brings to Paramedic. If i chose to attempt to become a Paramedic, does an associates degree in adavanced life support help me anymore than a certification???

Especially if I plan to go back to college to get a bachelors in Psychology or Emergency management after?

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
Depends on what you want from your education. If your final goal is psychology or emergency management then why not just going back to school just for those ? If you truly want to work as a medic, classes that could be counted for credits and used for a degree later on seems like the better of the two. But then there's the factor of what school is better, accredited, etc

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends on what you want from your education. If your final goal is psychology or emergency management then why not just going back to school just for those ? If you truly want to work as a medic, classes that could be counted for credits and used for a degree later on seems like the better of the two. But then there's the factor of what school is better, accredited, etc

Theres not to many credits that will transfer from an AAS in parmedics to a bachelors. If you want a bachelors, get one.

In terms of pay or anything, it rarely makes any difference.

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
Theres not to many credits that will transfer from an AAS in parmedics to a bachelors. If you want a bachelors, get one.

In terms of pay or anything, it rarely makes any difference.

That's what I said, was saying if the OP was dead set on being a medic, he should look the associate route. Credit classes will prob be at a local CC, which I guarantee you will transfer to a bachelors especially if going the emergency management degree, at the same/similar school.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
That's what I said, was saying if the OP was dead set on being a medic, he should look the associate route. Credit classes will prob be at a local CC, which I guarantee you will transfer to a bachelors especially if going the emergency management degree, at the same/similar school.

Sorry, meant to quote the OP.

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
Im getting my AA in health sciences to keep my options open just incase EMS isnt for me. I plan on getting my AA in paramedic through a paramedic program as well but can also fall back on the health sciences degree to get me into other programs. My VA counselor recommended it to me and it didnt seem like a bad idea so maybe check into it for yourself to see if itll help.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you want a Bachelors degree, get one. There are very few schools that I've heard of (if any) that offer a Bachelors that includes Paramedic as part of the program. If you can, try to at least get an Associates Degree (not an AAS) as you'll be more likely to have many transferable units toward a Bachelors simply because you have done all the Lower Division GE. The worst case would be that you would only have a few courses "extra" to take to complete your LDGE and move on from there to complete the Bachelors.

In the short term, I wouldn't expect much of a differential in terms of AS/non-AS paramedic pay, even if such a differential exists. However, the more paramedics pursue a degree and make it the de-facto entry standard, eventually they will end up with a demand for higher pay commensurate with education.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
If you want a Bachelors degree, get one. There are very few schools that I've heard of (if any) that offer a Bachelors that includes Paramedic as part of the program.

Last time I checked Loma Linda offers a bachelors degree in Emergency Medical Services that combines a full paramedic education with all your gen ed and some Emergency Management.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Last time I checked Loma Linda offers a bachelors degree in Emergency Medical Services that combines a full paramedic education with all your gen ed and some Emergency Management.
Good to know there's at least one program that combines the two. When paramedic degrees (both AS and BS) become basically as ubiquitous as "entry level" nursing degrees are, or at least as that happens, that's when the really good stuff will start happening for paramedics.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...

I'd like to clarify. Its a bachelors in EMC (emergency medical care). When you say "full paramedic education" you cannot go in as a emt and graduate a medic. They don't offer clinicals and an internship. To be eligible for admission into the program you have to be an EMT, Paramedic, RN, or RT. The EMC program is more "upper division" medic curriculum I like to call it. Upon graduation you can probably take the FP-c or CCT-p test and pass. Also, its a great undergrad for pre-PA or pre-Med. Actually a friend who is also an alumni of the program said there's really no real world practical application to the degree if you do not go PA/Med school with it especially with how much it costs. 90% of the alumni get into their first and/or second choice PA school. I'm looking into this program too if i do not get into MVC's PA program as PA/flight medic have become my end goal.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
To the OP, planning to go back to college is a lot easier than going back to college. You never know what might happen down the road to get in the way of your goals. If you have an opportunity to get a degree now, and you can afford to do so, I suggest you do it -- not because it will make you much smarter or a much better medic, but because it might give you options if and when your EMS career stalls.

You didn't say why you decided PA/Med School wasn't for you. Fair enough, but just to cover all the bases, if that decision has anything to do with problems learning, studying, taking direction or getting along with others, you'd face those same issues in medic school.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
As someone who is currently going back to college now, I say get the certificate. it's shorter than the associates. get it, get certified, and then start working as a medic. while working, go back and finish your psych degree. If you were thinking PA or MD, than I am guessing you have completed all the sciences, so you will be leaps and bounds ahead of others in the cert program.

If you want an EM degree, don't waste your money. An EM degree will most likely not get you a job in EM; most places want experience in EM. once you get into EM (usually by networking really well, or gaining some experience and possibly becoming a supervisor, and getting lucky enough to get one of the few spots), get the degree (preferably a masters after you get your Bachelors in psych).