Assessment - EMT

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
congrats! My medic school director was kicked out of a titty bar where he was dispatched once because he was under 21. That was a long time ago but he still looks like he is 18. I only respect colleagues that have solid patient care NOT by how old they are or how many years they have been in EMS. Put up some solid skills and you will get rid of the skeptics.

Hey, thanks! I really appreciate it. I'll keep my head down and work hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I just am so used to being criticized that I got defensive.

I did pass.

You will get criticized by a variety of people for the rest of your EMS career. Being young will only contribute to this, so you may as well get used to it. Just because it happens does not mean you get to automatically be on the defensive.

Sometimes no matter how well you do something it won't be enough, just move on. That was the hardest thing for me to learn when I started at 18, and it hasn't been all that long since then.

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
You will get criticized by a variety of people for the rest of your EMS career. Being young will only contribute to this, so you may as well get used to it. Just because it happens does not mean you get to automatically be on the defensive.

Sometimes no matter how well you do something it won't be enough, just move on. That was the hardest thing for me to learn when I started at 18, and it hasn't been all that long since then.

I was absolutely not making an excuse. You conveniently cut out the rest of what I said, which was that I was frustrated and should not have said what I said.

lynnethesunny

Forum Ride Along
I took my test at 17, but didn't get my results and certification until I was 18. This was 9-10 years ago, so times may have changed. This was for the NREMT and Texas.

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
I took my test at 17, but didn't get my results and certification until I was 18. This was 9-10 years ago, so times may have changed. This was for the NREMT and Texas.

Interesting. How much time was there between your test and your eighteenth birthday?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief

There was a person in my EMT class last summer who was 17 at the time, and I believe she was told she could do the class, but would not be able to test the NREMT until she was 18. Either way, I can promise you that no one will operate as a full EMT-B under a license until they are 18.

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
There was a person in my EMT class last summer who was 17 at the time, and I believe she was told she could do the class, but would not be able to test the NREMT until she was 18. Either way, I can promise you that no one will operate as a full EMT-B under a license until they are 18.

I am licensed at 16.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

There are states that allow underage EMTs as long as there is parental permission and a special program registered with the state(Maine for example)

I am not sure if there are any restrictions to their license.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
There are states that allow underage EMTs as long as there is parental permission and a special program registered with the state(Maine for example)

I am not sure if there are any restrictions to their license.

I know some departments restrict them. I know of several in pa that consider them cadets so they are not allowed to become full members or run as lead until they're eighteen

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
I know some departments restrict them. I know of several in pa that consider them cadets so they are not allowed to become full members or run as lead until they're eighteen

Yup, that's basically it. I can't be the primary care attendant. Which is quite restricting but my department is being pretty cool about it.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Yup, that's basically it. I can't be the primary care attendant. Which is quite restricting but my department is being pretty cool about it.

Which is my point. You can't operate fully as an EMT. I'm not knocking it, just saying thats the way it is. Liability is just huge.

Sending a minor to a scene involving a shooter-at-large. Court wouldn't like that.

I saw a news segment about a group of high schoolers somewhere that operate as EMT-Bs, to the point where they are considered stationed at their school and leave classes for calls, but are under supervision while on scene.

Last edited by a moderator: