Assessment - EMT

daenerys

Forum Probie
So I took the Assessment - EMT exam yesterday. I can't take the official one because I'm under eighteen years of age.

Checked nremt.org this morning... Go to "Check Initial Entry App Status" and it says "Congratulations on successfully completing the cognitive exam." But I don't see a certification number or anything under my name by the login. Are my exam results still processing? Why is the NREMT so annoying?

Attachments

• nremt.jpg
    nremt.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 592
Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So I took the Assessment - EMT exam yesterday. I can't take the official one because I'm under eighteen years of age.

Checked nremt.org this morning... Go to "Check Initial Entry App Status" and it says "Congratulations on successfully completing the cognitive exam." But I don't see a certification number or anything under my name by the login. Are my exam results still processing? Why is the NREMT so annoying?

If you're under eighteen registry won't certify you as an EMT. Period

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
If you're under eighteen registry won't certify you as an EMT. Period

I spoke to a certification representative before starting this whole process. I will not be nationally certified, but they allowed me to prove my competency by taking the Assessment exam, not the official one. Do your research before giving ultimatums! ;)

Anyway, on the CBT Candidate News page, it says "NREMT Candidate ID" So that means my exam results are still processing, yes? Because I'm still "candidate" status.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I spoke to a certification representative before starting this whole process. I will not be nationally certified, but they allowed me to prove my competency by taking the Assessment exam, not the official one. Do your research before giving ultimatums! ;)

Anyway, on the CBT Candidate News page, it says "NREMT Candidate ID" So that means my exam results are still processing, yes? Because I'm still "candidate" status.

It'll only change once they place a certification number. In your case I don't know how they'll change it

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
No. The NREMT doesn't love to mess with you. All the NREMT does is provide a test that certifies baseline competency. It's not some nasty government agency out to ruin your day. :)

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
No. The NREMT doesn't love to mess with you. All the NREMT does is provide a test that certifies baseline competency. It's not some nasty government agency out to ruin your day. :)

I never said that... All I meant was that their choice of words is very deceiving. "Congratulations on successfully completing the cognitive exam." Except you may or may not have actually successfully completed the cognitive exam! Good luck trying to figure that out!

NomadicMedic

I don't understand the confusion. If the webpage states "congratulations on successful completion of the cognitive exam" you have successfully completed it. I don't understand how the registry is planning on issuing you any certification, as you don't meet the age requirement.

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
I don't understand the confusion. If the webpage states "congratulations on successful completion of the cognitive exam" you have successfully completed it. I don't understand how the registry is planning on issuing you any certification, as you don't meet the age requirement.

The confusion is that I am still candidate status on the website, and have not been able to find the confirmation number that assures I have successfully passed the exam.

The NREMT is not issuing me any certification. What they are doing is allowing me to take the exam to prove to my state and my employer that I am capable of passing it. It's called the "Assessment - EMT" CBT exam. As opposed to the traditional "EMT" CBT exam.

Upon passing the test, I am issued a "certification" number that proves I have passed, which I then must send to the Maine EMS office to apply for my license.

I assure you, it is very possible to be a practicing EMT under the age of eighteen. I would not have gone through five months of training if I wasn't absolutely sure.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The confusion is that I am still candidate status on the website, and have not been able to find the confirmation number that assures I have successfully passed the exam.

The NREMT is not issuing me any certification. What they are doing is allowing me to take the exam to prove to my state and my employer that I am capable of passing it. It's called the "Assessment - EMT" CBT exam. As opposed to the traditional "EMT" CBT exam.

Upon passing the test, I am issued a "certification" number that proves I have passed, which I then must send to the Maine EMS office to apply for my license.

I assure you, it is very possible to be a practicing EMT under the age of eighteen. I would not have gone through five months of training if I wasn't absolutely sure.

Unfortunately we are aware some states let minors practice as an emt. But registry will most likely either mail or email you the number. Or send it directly to Maine OEMS. It says you completed it, and thats the words for passing

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
Unfortunately we are aware some states let minors practice as an emt. But registry will most likely either mail or email you the number. Or send it directly to Maine OEMS. It says you completed it, and thats the words for passing

Saying that I have "successfully completed it" could just mean that I have successfully TAKEN the exam. Not that I have passed. I'm sure you are smart enough to understand the ambiguity of this statement.

I really don't appreciate the condescension. I am a competent person. I earned a significantly higher score in my EMT class than three current practicing EMTs, as well as an emergency department technician.

I do not tolerate discrimination. It doesn't matter if it is based on my age, my gender, my race, my sexuality... It's all offensive.

Working in EMS so long you should have learned not to be close-minded by now.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The psychomotor results can take a while to process sometimes. I did my CBT in Maine and it took a couple days to post.

If you keep up this attitude you probably won't have a good experience on this site. It can be a wonderful resource. People are answering your question to the best they know how. Transport is most likely correct that hey will notify Maine ems or notify you in some way(mail).

Have you called the nremt or Maine ems?

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
The psychomotor results can take a while to process sometimes. I did my CBT in Maine and it took a couple days to post.

If you keep up this attitude you probably won't have a good experience on this site. It can be a wonderful resource. People are answering your question to the best they know how. Transport is most likely correct that hey will notify Maine ems or notify you in some way(mail).

Have you called the nremt or Maine ems?

I am sorry for being cranky. I am tired of being treated as inferior because of my age. I don't believe anyone has answered my question without judgement except for you. People feel safe to be judgmental hiding behind a screen and I don't like it.

I have sent emails to both NREMT and MEMS. Waiting for response. I hope that once I hear back from them, I can provide you all with the information on how to become certified under eighteen. Clearly it's not a topic that people know much about.

NomadicMedic

VA also allows individuals under 18 to become state certified with the NREMT cognitive exam. Here's a step by step, with the last page details on how to track the application process. It's done for Virginia, but I'm sure they didn't reinvent the wheel for Maine. Perhaps that will help?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am sorry for being cranky. I am tired of being treated as inferior because of my age. I don't believe anyone has answered my question without judgement except for you. People feel safe to be judgmental hiding behind a screen and I don't like it.

I have sent emails to both NREMT and MEMS. Waiting for response. I hope that once I hear back from them, I can provide you all with the information on how to become certified under eighteen. Clearly it's not a topic that people know much about.

A lot of states require you to be 18. Maine will allow you to be an EMT at 16 with parental permission and if the service you work for has an approved youth program. I am very familiar with Maine ems. While I live and work in Canada. I started my ems career in Maine, and am still licensed there.

Something to keep in mind. When reading peoples posts, it can be easy to misunderstand what people are saying as you aren't interacting and seeing how they are saying it. That said it is my personal opinion that minors shouldn't be licensed as EMTs. It has to do with safety , liability, professionalism. I am not saying a minor can't be any of the following but we are supposed I be licensed medical professionals. I have no problem with minors being EMRs and doing ride alongs. This is a topic for another thread. Sorry to side track .

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Saying that I have "successfully completed it" could just mean that I have successfully TAKEN the exam. Not that I have passed. I'm sure you are smart enough to understand the ambiguity of this statement.

I really don't appreciate the condescension. I am a competent person. I earned a significantly higher score in my EMT class than three current practicing EMTs, as well as an emergency department technician.

I do not tolerate discrimination. It doesn't matter if it is based on my age, my gender, my race, my sexuality... It's all offensive.

Working in EMS so long you should have learned not to be close-minded by now.

I am not meaning to make yiy feel inferior but I don't believea minor should be an EMT. Maybe an MFR/ECA but that's it. Most of my career has been spent in states where 18 was the minimum age to become an EMT. And even with that finding a job under the age of 21 was next to impossible.
I've worked in Maine and New Hampshire, and for the most part the minor EMTs that were on my scene were eager, but had a lot to learn about professionalism and priorities.

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
I am not meaning to make yiy feel inferior but I don't believea minor should be an EMT. Maybe an MFR/ECA but that's it. Most of my career has been spent in states where 18 was the minimum age to become an EMT. And even with that finding a job under the age of 21 was next to impossible.
I've worked in Maine and New Hampshire, and for the most part the minor EMTs that were on my scene were eager, but had a lot to learn about professionalism and priorities.

Hey, I can appreciate that. I started taking college classes as soon as I turned sixteen because I hated being around most high school age kids. So I understand where you're coming from, for sure. Haha :)

rmena

Forum Crew Member
Regardless of whether or not you passed the exam you have a really bad attitude kid. You need to treat the people that have tried to help you with more respect...

OP
OP
D

daenerys

Forum Probie
Regardless of whether or not you passed the exam you have a really bad attitude kid. You need to treat the people that have tried to help you with more respect...

I apologized. I was treated very poorly by some people in my class and at places I applied. I shouldn't be taking it out on you guys. I'm sorry again. I really am trying to just get some advice without my abilities or legitimacy being called into question. There's no need to be hurtful. I'm having a really hard time being taken seriously, and it's bumming me out a lot, because I worked so hard :( I was really hoping to find some people that understood my situation on this website, but I guess not. And that's fine and totally not your fault. It was really absurd of me to act so ridiculous when all the previous person said was
Unfortunately we are aware some states let minors practice as an emt. It says you completed it, and thats the words for passing
I just am so used to being criticized that I got defensive.

I did pass.

rmena

Forum Crew Member
congrats! My medic school director was kicked out of a titty bar where he was dispatched once because he was under 21. That was a long time ago but he still looks like he is 18. I only respect colleagues that have solid patient care NOT by how old they are or how many years they have been in EMS. Put up some solid skills and you will get rid of the skeptics.