Arrogant EMT's?

Caspar

Forum Crew Member
As a new EMT, I have realized that many EMT's and first responders think that they are always right and often make snarky remarks to other co-workers. I have obviously met really great EMT's who are always willing to teach/help out, but there will always be a few who are just so full of themselves. How do you guys deal with these people when on calls? Some of these people are much more experienced than me and so I would feel out of place to call them out on stuff.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
There's arrogant EMTs and Medics.

I'm usually just tell them to eat a bag of........ Cereal.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I'd suggest being patient as a new Emt and learning more about the job and culture before you say too much. There are lots of arrogant fools and some excellent clinicians. Many people are somewhere in between.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Welcome to the world. People are the same everywhere you go and EMS has the same issues as any work place. Deal accordingly.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As a new EMT, I have realized that many EMT's and first responders think that they are always right and often make snarky remarks to other co-workers. I have obviously met really great EMT's who are always willing to teach/help out, but there will always be a few who are just so full of themselves. How do you guys deal with these people when on calls? Some of these people are much more experienced than me and so I would feel out of place to call them out on stuff.
Well are they right?

When you're new, it's not worth getting into it with people who are right and present that in a crappy manner.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
My personal, subjective experience has been that the loud, arrogant people in EMS actually know the least, and are most often wrong, whereas the quiet humble people are really on top of their game.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
This is a lesson I've learned in life. But listen with a grain of salt, but do what YOU think is best and what your protocols are. Ignore them (sometimes I have a problem with this, but I'm working on it!). If you do what you think is right and take responsibility, I think you'll be fine. I think a lot of times those arrogant people are incredibly insecure and they're masking it. Otherwise they are just jerks and not worth freaking out over.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
From what I've learned here is you lock them out of the truck. *sarcasm*

Welcome to the working world, unfortunately its plagued with perfect people that know everything. If what they are doing will, hurt you, the patient, themselves, or anyone else, by all means speak up. Otherwise listen with open ears and absorb what's useful and learn from their nonsense of what not to be like.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
These people are actually great people to learn from. They say crazy things, but say them with such conviction that you wonder if what they are saying is true. It makes you question your knowledge to the point that you have to look it up to see who is wrong. Almost always they are wrong but it forces you to do some reading and learn something new in the process.

Accelerator

Forum Probie
I think that a lot of people forget their roots. We were all lost and nervous when we started. We tend to eat our young in ems.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Welcome to a profession that not only requires, but thrives upon, a certain amount of Type A personality to get the job done. Everything else is a consequence of the requirement.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
I haven't been hanging around EMS long enough to profess, but in other fields almost certainly you always get a share of people who are as you describe.

One of the most helpful things I've learnt is that I don't have to be best friends with everybody. Courteous and professional (and little more) go a long way when dealing with someone who has no clue what they're talking about.

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
Patience. LIke Ishan said just be courteous and professional. Just do you job. Listen to your headphones or do your own thing when not busy. Leave him/her be.