Arming EMT's and Paramedics

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Not the three nuclear reactors I'm familiar with. They are security in the standard sense, but they carry automatic weapons. I've never even heard of DOE Police. Which reactors are guarded by them?

The three facilities I am familiar with have "Security". However, those "Security" officers are all current military reserve personnel and that is a requirement by the facility.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Go to a Nuclear Reactor anywhere in the US. Then report back about the command presence.

Security can arrest people. A citizen's arrest conducted in a professional manner with standards.

If security someplace does not arrest someone, it is because there employer has a protocol not to.

http://www.google.com/search?source...gc.r_pw.&fp=71c6c4af87148765&biw=1003&bih=496

Security has NO LEGAL AUTHORITY to arrest anyone just as you as a private citizen do not. Citizen's arrest has been thrown out of courts for years and many have been charged with kidnapping the suspected criminal. Again, leave enforcing the laws up to LAW ENFORCEMENT.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Anyone who wants to "advance in health-care" can go to school to get a good job at a hospital or doctors office.
Anyone who wants to be in public safety can keep a clean background, stay in shape and get hired as an LEO or firefighter. EMTs who want to be in "public safety" are just shifty people who can't cut it as a cop.

See, logical fallacies work both ways!

Last edited by a moderator:

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Anyone who wants to be in public safety can keep a clean background, stay in shape and get hired as an LEO or firefighter. EMTs who want to be in "public safety" are just shifty people who can't cut it as a cop.

See, logical fallacies work both ways!

The best statement I have read so for. Excellent Post!!!!!

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
Where to start?

You are correct that security does not threaten anyone. They have no legal right to detain or put their hands on anyone.

Law enforcement DOES threaten many in the general public. People in some areas feel LEO's are against them even though they have not committed any crime. This has been brought on by the attitude many LEO's have.

Security has no power and has NO role in the U.S.. Enforcing laws should be left up to Law Enforcement. Not EMS and certainly not Security.

"All drugs should be legal". Are you a complete moron? More crack and meth readily available. Yep that is exactly what we need.

Good for Greenburgh NY. In many other places the program failed.

EMS should be a part of healthcare involved not only in pre-hospital care, but intervention and prevention, public education and general public care that does not warrant transport in addition to our SOP.

I make more than many RN's here. I have more fun and get to see many things an RN doesn't.

If you want to be in public service so much, PLEASE do us all a favor and cut up your NREMT cards, close your account here and move on.

i actually have to agree with the legalization argument, what does keeping it illegal do?
it certainly doesn't make it unavailable,
our streets especially inner city are flooded with drugs,
and the only people making any profit off of it is the drug lords and the police,

drug laws and asset forfeiture laws mandatory minimum sentencing etc.. have done more to erode the freedoms of the common man than nearly anything else i can think of.
except for maybe the rivers of anti terrorism laws following september 11th,
anyway

legalize and let darwin weed out the people who aren't much use to society anyway
although it will never happen
when you think about it all of the free love free expression and free drug users from the sixties are the people running the show now, and not much has changed.
the system has not been altered to any great extent.
we have seen some common sense laws regarding marijuana possession and use.
but thats about it.
ah well opinions are like a@#holes...yes? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Some places can't intubate well... and they wanna carry guns? Eh...
The only benefit is the combination systems. Im part of a combination system that all of our personnel are cross trained fire and EMS. Some have their specialties and are better than others, as they are assigned positions appropriately. Many moons ago, we had tac medics that would carry, but only during events and special cases. Now that is completely handled on the LEO side, we have enough problems keeping up with CEUs, fire and EMS training to worry about qualifiying each month. Many of our folks are LEOs as well, but do not carry while performing fire rescue. The fire marshals and investigators in our system do carry all the time.
When year 2000 came around, most of us carried and had body armor... mainly for the crazy folks with 2 digit systems. I doubt 2012 will have the same effect on us.

Soooooo... to the original question.. no, I don't think the average EMS person should not be carrying, no reason for it. Take a good self defense course and use it to get out of a situation, and protect yourself with common sense. The employer should be very clear on the subject from that point on.