Are You Prepared or Just a Wacker?

Dr Boom

Forum Ride Along
I'd say for anyone with certified skill in EMS/EMT-B/IV, FR, whatever- I find it hard to believe someone could sleep well at night knowing that they are not prepared. Yeah, Yeah- I'll hear a lot of "I'm off duty", "let those on call handle this", etc. etc. That's pretty sad for someone to just walk on by an accident scene/or supine individual, etc... but I don't want to turn this post into a soap box speech on preparedness and "Semper Paratus" –USCG/SPECOPS.

As a rescue diver, I keep a jump bag handy in the trunk whenever I turn the key. I'd much rather have it and not need it- than need it and not have it. But a good EMT/FR should tailor that bag-o-goodies for the trip, IMHO. Obviously you wouldn't carry massive and "as" diverse amount of things you would find in your Ambulance or FT, its just not practical or advised.

My boat bag is from Galls: http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=BG146&cat=2732
O2 Tank w/ 2 NRB + Nasal cannula
gloves
CPR mask w/O2 inlet
compression bandages
4 kinds of tape
penlight
Mesh wire splint material
Berman airway kit
finger pulse oximeter
BP cuff + stethoscope
aluminized emergency blanket
rolls of gauze
trauma dressings
Instant Hot/Cold packs x4
Blood sugar test kit w/ oral glucose gel
sheer scissors
forceps
hemostats
sterile water
bag valve mask
water proof notepad and water proof pen/wax pencil
... I'm sure I left something out, but anyhow, that's the jist of it.

Cheers,
Doc

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
I thinkI have u all beat. I'm sure I'm just about the only person that has a can of riot control gas in my response pack. You know, the kind that Dog the bounty hunter carries. 2 functions: self protection in the crime riddled neighborhood I live in, and maybe it could be used for CPR (whoa, one shot and they're back from the dead!!!) It HAS been proven that farting in someone's CAN restore breathing, so same principle at work here? U tell me :)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
After reading way too many of these posts, I honestly believe I would put my faith in Bubba who shows up in a beat up pickup truck carrying a beer in one hand and a cellphone in the other. He would be more likely to have called 911 first so he could sit back and watch the show evolving around him rather than getting distracted by screwing around with all the stuff crammed into a whacker bag in the trunk of a tricked out POV driven by someone claiming to be something that you have no idea if they are. At least with Bubba, what you see is what get and there are no expectations.

However, I will admit I do have a fairly decent bag I carry if we are going any distance with the boat. It can also be used as a hurricane first-aid kit. But, it does not stay in my car.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
However, I will admit I do have a fairly decent bag I carry if we are going any distance with the boat. It can also be used as a hurricane first-aid kit. But, it does not stay in my car.

That's just being prepared. The coast guard doesn't maintain at 7 minute response time to getting paramedics on your deck. When you're boating, especially if you're on the ocean, you're on your own for a while.

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
How about a portable fluoroscope for everyone? Never know when that might come in useful.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Trying to convince my paintball field to stock more than tape and bandaids in their kit, as I've seen a lot of pretty nasty trauma's at paintball fields.

Heck, today for example. Kid scraped up his knee pretty badly and so the manager called me up to help (I'm friends with the owner and refs, so they know I'm an EMT... can't get away from it.) Did a quick patch job using a couple of 2x2's and medical tape. Not much else I could do. Told the owner to buy some 4x4s and gauze rolls.

I've seen slit open hands, broken legs, bunch of other trauma, and even an asthma attack while playing. Still not enough to convince me to carry anything other than gloves.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Holy Jesus Christ you guys carry a lot of stuff.

I have a steth a penlight and a couple of pens that I keep just b/c it was not worth it to move it into my home after shift jut ot move it back into my car to take to work!

Sometimes I'll have some glves leftover from the shift before.

I have a Pocket Mask with gloves that I would only use on a friend or family member should the time call for it. Any other interventions can wait the 3 minutes that the ambulance takes to get to me or be improvised with everyday stuff (T-shirt for bleeding control, no need to carry around a bag of 23 different kinds of bandages!).

I also have a small car first aid kit I got from AAA a few years ago just with bandages and neosporin and such for small cuts and scrapes but that's it!

Do you guys ever actually USE any of the things you carry for preparedness?

andydrumm05

Forum Probie
Well, sad to say that the only things I have in my car right now is a CPR face shield that goes on my key ring and a steth. But I hope to get a BP cuff soon though.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I have my cellphone with me most of the time. Not to be prepared for anything though.

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
I use my first aid kit in my jeep all the time. Working on my car im always busting up my hands and fingers so its nice to have bandages right in the car.

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
well, i have lowered what i carry in my truck down from a premade ferno trauma kit, to a thing i put together (i tend to go off roading, so i need a little more than most city dwellers)basics... gloves, steth BP cuff.. MY PERSONAL glucometer... 1 pair of shears, some kerlix, tape, 4x4s, a lot of "cuts and scrapes" items, bandaids, neosporin, ect. 1000ml of sterile water for irrigation, some ASA and APAP for myself, eye rinse, fish hook remover tool, oh and my phone and ham radio gear.
fire suppression... 1 medium size co2 extinguisher. kept charged... has come in handy when a drunk campers fire got out of control, but thats about it.

Mzcr

Forum Probie
When I finished school, I threw my student jump kit in the back of my vehicle. It was that or in the basement and I've got enough crap down there.

It's effectively a first aid kit, with the most exotic things being the cheap BP cuff/scope and a face mask, and I added some anti-biotic and hydrocortisone cream and some advil from my last FA kit. I've used the bandaids a few times and a 4x4 once and the gloves and Advil quite a bit.

Don't know if that makes it a whacker bag or not, but don't really care as I don't spend time looking for places to use it. But I also spend a lot of time on the road and play a lot in the outdoors, so no reason not to have it since I had to buy it anyway.

Besides that, I also keep jumper cables, a flashlight, a change of shoes, socks, undies and shirt, some deodorant and a toothbrush, a bottle of water and a car phone charger, plus in the winter throw a sleeping bag in there.

The sleeping bag saved my butt once when my serpentine belt broke at 4:30 in the morning in -8 degree weather in rural Michigan. Took 1.5 hours for the tow to get there.

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
One should probably also invest in some phlebotomy equipment, a centrifuge, hematology/chemistry analyzers, and just to make sure your impromptu patient doesn't have a genetic disease you might as well have a PCR machine too. I also like to have a supply of O(-) blood (kept refrigerated, and exchanged as needed). The key is to BE PREPARED, LOL :p

OP
OP
Mountain Res-Q

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
3 months since I started this thread and it is still going strong... huh... interesting... <_< "Whacker" in title and it gets ~150 posts... ^_^

I have changed things up recently in my car, as I usually do. As I said originally, everything i carry is SAR related and needs to be carried for quick response in my POV to the SAR Cache or to the scene (in some occassions).

Small (10x6x4) EMS Fanny Pack (gloves, bandages, cravats, etc...)

Daypack (basic 12-24 summer wilderness SAR gear - well assembled after 4 years on the team) - the big bag stays at home because if it is gonna be an overnighter I can afford the extra 30 minutes to retrieve the gear... and I have limit space in my jeep.

Clothing Duffle Bag (Enough Clothing to change into/out of when called out for a SAR) or to add to my daypack if the mission-type warrents it.

Mesh Rescue Bag (Harness, gloves, helmet, a few carabineers, prussiks, PFD, wetsuit, rope bag, knife)

Small "Road Rescue" Bag (Flares, tire iron, a few basic tools, tow strap, etc...)

My Canine Gear Bag (harnesses, leads, food, xtra water, etc...)

And in winter: Small Snow Shovel, Sleeping Bag, my 48-72 hour pack, snow chains.

Oh, and I usually have my radio stored away for mission use and I have a scanner in my vehicle programmed to common county SAR/Fire/EMS channels. I know... a tad whackerish on this one, but it helps me on SAR. B)