Are we taking "Scene Safety" too far?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone have any IRL experiences of an unsafe scene that would otherwise have gone unnoticed and been dangerous?
I can't think of anything that subtle beyond don't hit OD's with 2mg Narcan, pulling weapons off people, or just getting PD added when **** just sounds sketchy.

You will usually run into the overtly threatening stuff. I've been threatened more than once (with and without PD present), heard gun shots on scene, and wrestled with plenty of altered/high/demented patients. Each requires their own nuanced approaches. I work with people that have had their ambulance shot, had guns pulled on them, or actually been assaulted. There is a reason a lot of people I know carry a knife, only part of it is utilitarian (the main reason is as a tool though).

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I can't think of anything that subtle beyond don't hit OD's with 2mg Narcan, pulling weapons off people, or just getting PD added when **** just sounds sketchy.

You will usually run into the overtly threatening stuff. I've been threatened more than once (with and without PD present), heard gun shots on scene, and wrestled with plenty of altered/high/demented patients. Each requires their own nuanced approaches. I work with people that have had their ambulance shot, had guns pulled on them, or actually been assaulted. There is a reason a lot of people I know carry a knife, only part of it is utilitarian (the main reason is as a tool though).

Our VST worked in Florida and SC as an EMT. Once each there was a fake 911 call for whatever reason and a medic got blasted. Once with a .357 magnum right through the door. It was an angry ex gf and her bf that set that up. Another time it was a shotgun near point blank. He was present for one.

The time he was there he just left in the ambo and called for backup.

But would you leave your partner like that, shot and bleeding on a doorstep?

I guess when there's a gun you're just another target... but even so .

Just imagine leaving. Even if it's the "more right NREMT approved" choice.

Both times resulted in body armor for the entire operation. If sups knocked on your chest and you weren't wearing it, immediate termination

Monday

Forum Probie
Pardon the partially OT everyone, but feel compelled to ask, @DragonClaw, if he was alright / made it through?

I assume if not it would be too close for you to tell as a public story just yeah. Feel like asking any time I hear of someone pulling those tricks on people.

And yeah, there's just no way to know.
I mean one would have to be a mind reader to anticipate the pt's reactions and everyone's on scene. No way to do that in reality.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Pardon the partially OT everyone, but feel compelled to ask, @DragonClaw, if he was alright / made it through?

I assume if not it would be too close for you to tell as a public story just yeah. Feel like asking any time I hear of someone pulling those tricks on people.

And yeah, there's just no way to know.
I mean one would have to be a mind reader to anticipate the pt's reactions and everyone's on scene. No way to do that in reality.

It's not my story. I wasn't there didn't know them.

Both were DRT cases

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
One of them wa seemingly random. Medic minding his own business, entered the residence and was at the receiving end of an 8 Guage. No apparent reason, it was not an accident. Guy just wanted to shoot a guy in uniform I guess

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I've had a gun, and multiple knives pulled on me. Had a "barricaded" patient run through the area we were "staged" with a loaded AR.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I've had a gun, and multiple knives pulled on me. Had a "barricaded" patient run through the area we were "staged" with a loaded AR.

I mean; I've had a gun pulled on me, but not at work.

And the police didn't contain the scene, I suppose. Was it negligence on their part?

Monday

Forum Probie
Ditto CCCSD :D

But I work 'bad hoods' on a regular basis. Addiction and access to weapons run rampant these corners.

And it still ain't anything like a 10 yo packed with explosives in other corners. Nasty hoods get risky but not THAT nasty.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Anyone have any IRL experiences of an unsafe scene that would otherwise have gone unnoticed and been dangerous?
dispatched for a BLS fall victim. when my partner arrived we found the person had fallen.... because her drunk husband had thrown her through the glass coffee table. while my partner dealt with him, I assisted her up, and we took her to the ER. Found out PD took him into custody for domestic violence.

dispatched a crew to a psych call, no reports of being violent or armed, so PD were not sent. crew ended up trapped in the room when pt pulled a knife on them. one of the crew members was also an off duty LEO, and broke the patient's arm in 3 places while disarming him.

been on PLENTY of MVCs on the interstate with just a trooper car providing blocking protection. ran across 2 lanes of a 4 lane highway to get to an MVA, missed getting hit by a car by about 6 inches.

interacted with gang members who insisted I do what they say and treat their family member the way they wanted them treated.

part of the issue isn't about avoiding all unsafe scenes, but doing what you can do mitigate an unsafe scene as best you can while still doing your job, and going home at the end of the day. saying BSI/scene safety doesn't cut it.