Are all private tranport companies this disorganized?

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I originally was posting this as a reply to another thread, but it was so long that I decided to start a new thread.

I got my Basic card just less than 2 months ago and this describes my summer job experience. My last day was last week, and I will relocate to Missouri for the school year where I will find another (not necessarily EMS related) job. I have told them I will return to work for them in the Winter and Next summer but now I'm not so sure I want to do this. Here's my story.

I applied and received a call back for an interview. The interview went great and they told me to come in monday for training. I was supposed to have 3 days of training, 1 day of policies and procedures, one day of equipment operations (how to work the cot, the AEDs, radios, where everything is suppossed to be, etc.), half day of driving training and getting used to the vehicles, and a half day of final paperwork and answering final questions and targeting training to my weaknesses. Then I was suppossed to have 2 days of ride alongs, one on a BLS truck and One on an ALS truck.

Day one went just as planned. I got a half day in on Day two before the guy training me was shorthanded and had to go out on a run, so he tells me to do a half day of ride time instead of waiting for later. The medic and basic I was with were great! The next day, they were shorthanded again, but this time I went out with my training officer and he drove while I worked the calls. day 4 comes around and now I'm just doing ride times, I missed half a day of equiment training and driving training altogether. The officer tells me he'll get me driving training the next day. Turns out, he screws up some paperwork and has to spend the next day in the office fixing it so I'm once again out riding. He tells me to come in my next shift an hour early and he'll take me out for a crash course in driving training. I come in an hour early and as soon as I clock in, he tells me I have a run and I have to go now, he says, you drive a minivan, just remember these big trucks react more slowly and that was the extent of my driving training.

Driving that day was a trial and error process, I found out how big of a space I could fit in by trying to fit, and if I hit something, I tried a bigger space the next time. I found out long my vehicle was by backing into things, next time i'll stop shorter! (Don't worry too much, I did all of this slowly so there were only minor dents and scratches!) I found out what my turning radius was after turning and hitting things or curbing the back wheels. It was not ideal, but I stopped hitting things after about 4 hours into my shift (what can I say, i'm a quick learner!). On the basic runs when I was in the back, i felt I was prepared well, but it was the driving that killed me. The only other thing that bothered me was that it took me forever to accelerate to highway speeds and at that it wouldn't go past 55 or 60. I just assumed that this was what my boss meant when he said big trucks react more slowly.

I bring the truck back and my boss was sitting on his butt doing absolutely nothing. The assistant CEO (my boss's boss) came over and was furious about all the dings and scratches and damage to the tires on the truck. As he drove it to the mechanics shop down the street (i was banned from further driving) he noticed it was making odd sounds. Turns out, the gear selector indicator on the truck was broken, and putting it in Drive (D) actually put it into second gear, so I had really tore up the transmission. We also later found out I was running people off the road left and right when I changed lanes since I didn't fully understand the blind spots of my vehicle.

Being banned from driving wasn't too bad, I hated driving at this point anyway and I was better with patients in the back, but they eventually took me out for about 1 hour of training on one truck and it was supposed to suffice for all 5 truck types that we have. I also got no lights and sirens training...The first time I had to run hot would have been a disaster if I actually did it, but remembering that personal safety takes precedence of anything else in EMS I did it very carefully. At first I didn't either bother to switch my lights on but dispatch can see if we have L&S on or not and got on the radio and told me to turn them on, so I did. but if my company wants me not to stop at every red light while running hot and waiting for it to turn green, and to drive faster than the posted speed limit, then they will have to train me on it. A dispatcher may be able to tell me what to do with my truck and where to go with it, but he can't tell me how to do it. The BLS rig called to assist us arrived 10 minutes before we did.

Onward to personnel: I actually work with 2 medics both of which are top notch and do this as a second job to support their firefighting careers. They have been absolutely wonderful in showing me the ropes and giving me advice on how to handle this company. I have also worked with an intermediate who is smaller than me, so I end up doing most of the heavy lifting and grunt work, but she too is knowledgeable and has taught me a lot. Of the 3 basics I work with, 1 of them is exceptional who is also a ff. The other is mediocre but she gets the job done. The last partner I cannot stand. I have forcefully taken the keys from him on more than one occassion and have stopped short of telling him what an :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: he is. Yeah people have their quirks and some are more annoying than others, and I can deal with that. Hes' a great basic and connects with patients well. But hes 18, and he WILL GET ME KILLED if i continue to work with him. His driving habits are so poor (texting while driving, driving with his knees, going fast everywhere, not being able to stay on the road (he goes off the road an average of 6 times an hour, and I'm not talking about not staying between the lines, he's off into the shoulder!), talking on his cell phone, playing with the radio and sirens (when we're not even running hot). He states that he's got his ff card and wants to join a volly dept that allowed POVs to have lights just so he can go 100+ down the street.

Onto management (don't worry all of this background info is getting somewhere soon!): the bosses are medics themselves, but they are idealists and romantics in how things should eb run and like going by the text book. That's fine with me, but they also want to make as much money as possible that causes policies to be in place that goes against the textbook. They then get mad when we're not textbook perfect. Just one case out of many: Truck checks and disinfection: they want a full truck check to be done everyday and of us to visually see each piece of equipment we have and sign off on each piece of equipment individually. Wonderful idea! With two people doing it, we can have it done in about 30 minutes. They also want full disinfection and cleaning of everything on the truck everyday. Also a great idea, with 2 people on it, that will take about 45 minutes at the end of the day. Unfortunately, he doesn't want us to do it on company time. If my shift starts at 7am, I walk in at 6:55 (we're not allowed to be more than 5 minutes early clocking in) and have a 7am run scheduled that is 10 minutes away. We then run continuously throughout the day not even getting enough time to write our run reports at times. Truck checks dont get done (I found out once that I didn't have any O2, but that was irrelevant since I didn't have any cannulas or non-rebreathers) and everything's a mess. Coming home, we only have about 30 minutes after fueling up to clean up but we usually have to write our reports since we didn't get to do them during the day. Out bosses hate paying us for overtime, so I clock out disinfecting very little if at all. We'll usually spray down the exterior of the truck but not have enough time to soap it up and scrub off. Bosses complain that we're not doing a good job of cleaning.

Now to the point. From what I hear, most private services are like this and this is why i have decided I will return to this service. It pays well (one of the best in the city), which attracts the best in the city, but the best don't stay for long since it isn't ideal working conditions and the benefits are more or less non-existent. They try to hire only the best but they are understaffed and have 3-4 trucks sitting empty on some days. They want to still hire the best and are ok with empty trucks, but when they found me, they ended up hiring the next guy that walked in even though he WILL get me killed just so they could get another truck in service and out making money.

With some modifications: clocking in 5 minutes early and disinfecting the cab area and always wearing gloves in the back no matter what I touch since god knows when the last time the truck was disinfected, bringing my own safety goggles since our company has no idea where theirs are, and not driving hot ever unless a cranky dispatcher orders me to, its really not that bad! The only circumstance I would not return to this company is if the idiot i had to work with the last few days (remember the guy from above who wants his name legally changed to Speedy?) becomes my partner and I have to deal with him again. My job isn't worth that much to me (yes I have told the bosses about it, yes they have written him up, and yes, Speedy knows their bottom line is too important to them to fire him and leave only a half manned truck).

Am i making the right call? It seems since other private companies are just as bad (or worse) there's no reason to change to any of the other offer I received, especially since they pay less!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You got a sh*tty service to work for. I have to admit, I have never worked nor hace I ever seen a real professional "transport" service though. If your boss gives you too much grief, tell them you'll get an attorney describing how they failed to properly instruct and educate you on the equipment and now you maybe traumatized because of this :D... joking sort of....

R/r 911

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Not to mention their attempts to get you to work off the clock in an effort to avoid paying overtime...Wage and Hour just loves that type of stuff.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I work for a private transport company, and while we can be sometimes disorganized, as we're shorthanded right now, we're never that bad.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Booger 'em.

They'll throw you to the wolves in a heartbeat and the p'ts suffer. Go vollie and do Burger King before you support them with your time, health and future earnings.
(Is there an "emoticon" for a middle finger for them??)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Unless they offer you a manager position!

NOT!
(Gotcha!)

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, that is a little screwed up.

At the company I work for, their minimum driving age is 25. Insurance requirement, I heard. And, you have to go through a driver's/EVOC course.

You should also restock your truck at your earliest opportunity. If you can return to the station after a run, replace anything you have used

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, rid, I know what you mean, we're one of the few private companies that are not despised in our city by the hospitals as we actually give verbal and written report to nurses (in an effort to keep up our reputation, the bosses do allow us to take as much time as we need in the ED to finish writing our reports)

Not that that matters, I got in an argument on my last day for what to write under medical necessity. The nurse had written O2 administration and non-ambulatory for medicare's reason for medical necessity and I refused to sign it as the patient WALKED to my cot and was not on O2. My supervisor signed it for me (using his signature) and tried to convince me to rewrite my narrative so "patient walked to the cot and was secured per protocol" became "patient transferred to cot, secured per protocol' was in there instead. They also asked me to remove the statment that no oxygen was used and to leave medicare guessing. I refused and my super (who is the only guy how is resonable in management) told me it was my choice, but that when the boss gets back from vacation, he might not be happy b/c he may not be able to get paid by medicare and my super recognized that the bosses just care about the bottom line. Lucky for me I won't even be in the city when the bosses get back from vacation 2 weeks from now!

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
So you have supervisors that are falsifying forms and asking you to do the same? If this is the kind of leadership your agency has, I hate to see their management. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know with any certainty the legalities of it, but it seems to me like medicare fraud must run rampant at that agency. I'd be on the lookout for another job...but that's just me.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, that is a little screwed up.

At the company I work for, their minimum driving age is 25. Insurance requirement, I heard. And, you have to go through a driver's/EVOC course.

You should also restock your truck at your earliest opportunity. If you can return to the station after a run, replace anything you have used

Often times we wont be allowed back at station until the end of the day. We also no longer have resupply agreements with the hospitals except for one which we hardly ever run to (once the city departments started billing most hospitals discontinued resupply).

I will be taking an EVOC at the earliest opportunity, most likely spring of 09 or summer of 09 (winter of 08 would probably not be a good time to do EVOC, unless I wanted to do EVOC: Snow Edition).

My company, as cheap as they are, probably won't pay for it, but I can count it toward my 78 hours of CEUs for NREMT/Ohio renewal every two years so It'll work.

So you have supervisors that are falsifying forms and asking you to do the same? If this is the kind of leadership your agency has, I hate to see their management. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know with any certainty the legalities of it, but it seems to me like medicare fraud must run rampant at that agency. I'd be on the lookout for another job...but that's just me.

The super is afraid of losing his job due to office politics so he signed something he didn't witness, but that's his butt on the line and not mine so I don't care. I have never falsified anything on my forms and do not plan to ever do so, that's just the kind of person I am. I take all my vitals myself and don't use the ones we saw in the hospital no matter if the nurse gave it to me or if I saw it for myself on the monitor. I feel there is no reason to take a shortcut that will save me 3 minutes at the most. The CEO is all about the bottom line, he wants us in and out in the fastest time possible and our scene times and enroute times are closely monitored by GPS and radio communications. Unfortuatly they are also unappreciative and no one has ever heard them say "thank you" "good work" or I appreciate your help" (the supers do appreciate us though). I don't care if they fake it, but at least it would be something. I am getting a lot of experience with the company and they pay from 75cents to 2 dollars more than any other service in the area which is why most people put up with it for more than 2 weeks.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Being short handed is a vicious circle. No matter what standards you want to set, you cannot accomplish them well with less people than is required to do the tasks. Everyone ends up working faster, harder and to a lower standard than desired. The longer this condition exists, the further behind everything gets. This is an explanation, not an excuse.

Asking a worker to perform work related tasks on their time, for no pay is illegal. It is actually stealing from you. When you are asked to work without pay, you not only lose the hourly wage for that time, but you also lose all work related benefits for that time, including SS quarters, L&I, Unemployment, not to mention any other work related bennies that are calculated on your hours.

Not all agencies are this way. But it is common.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Dude---that stinks.

I've worked for crappy private companies... and I've worked for OK ones. I still haven't found a private job with ALL of the below:
Good Pay
Good Benefits
Good Rigs
Good Management

I think the best I've seen is 2/4... I think you get to choose 1 of the above.

As for learning to drive:
When I started at the BIG (national) transport Co. I work per diem for (events only). The start and end of my driver training was to take a lap around a 6-block area in the biggest rig in the fleet to demonstrate that I could operate the vehicle safely. Of course, I was driving ambulances other places, so this was just for them to double-check.

I think that driving ambulances is a skill that you learn over time... now that I'm working full-time 911... I have a lot of time behind the wheel, and I feel as if my driving has improved immensely. Now that I'm doing it regularly, I am able to judge things better, and I know I can fit the ambulance into smaller places than I used to.

I try to avoid learning to drive by the Braille method as you describe... but sometimes it happens. That is why we have the big rubber bumpers on the front and back of the rigs. On the same token, if I was working with someone who was driving like an a-hole... I'd be doing the driving... if we had time, and they were willing, I might try to help them... but otherwise I'll do the driving. I like staying alive.

As for falsifing documentation. I've had this argument with some of the folks at the vollie squad. I always ASSIST my patients... because if they fall, and I wasn't assisting them... somehow I think I'm going to be in a little trouble. I will not falsify the report. If they are assisted to the stretcher... that is what I write. If they are secred to the bench seat for transport with seatbelt, that is what I write.

[soapbox]
If I go to a MVA, and everyone states they are uninjured and have no desire for my services, I clear, "No Services Needed, TOT PD". A refusal involves more than a patient's signiture... I need to preform an EXAM and document such.

[/soapbox]

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
as jon said, most fo the privates are screwed up in one way or the other. i have yet to find a perfect service.

that being said, apparently that service is pretty much the most awful place to work in this business. thats despicable. turn around and run away just as fast as you can.

and one reccomendation to you: never tell anybody that you worked there. what i mean by that is keep it off your resume, dont mention it in an interview, just keep it off the radar. it can only cast a shadow on you.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
DON'T keep them off a resume

I was a hiring manager for 13 years, if you don't report that you worked somewhere even for a few days (long enough to get paid for it); you will look like you are lying, and may never get a 2nd interview.
Put it down with the comment that you will talk about it during an interview, and then be honest.
NEVER LIE ON APPLICATION OR RESUME. to easy to check out.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
as jon said, most fo the privates are screwed up in one way or the other. i have yet to find a perfect service.

that being said, apparently that service is pretty much the most awful place to work in this business. thats despicable. turn around and run away just as fast as you can.

and one reccomendation to you: never tell anybody that you worked there. what i mean by that is keep it off your resume, dont mention it in an interview, just keep it off the radar. it can only cast a shadow on you.

I was a hiring manager for 13 years, if you don't report that you worked somewhere even for a few days (long enough to get paid for it); you will look like you are lying, and may never get a 2nd interview.
Put it down with the comment that you will talk about it during an interview, and then be honest.
NEVER LIE ON APPLICATION OR RESUME. to easy to check out.

Well, my company has the reputation of being one of the best if not THE best in the city. We have a good majority of exclusive contracts with the upscale nursing homes as well as one of two companies that does organ transfers. We are the only company in the city that has been called for third service to the FDs. The reputation of the company is overall really good, I've just found a lot of internal problems.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well something doesnt add up. services that operate that way dont have "the best" reputation on the street. they are generally laughed at. but maybe that freak show does a great job of hiding it.

john: im curious as to how you might find out that somebody worked for a particular company for three days and didnt report it. while you very well may be duly authorized to review my credit, you certainly arent authorized to view my tax returns or banking statement. im genuinely interested how you could accomplish that.

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
there's tons of ways to verify where someone has worked, in particular, if they do a background check, they usually come up with the past 7-10 years of employment, and yes even if only for a few days, even your credit report can show who you've been employed with.......i know because i used to work for a mortgage bank and sometimes to make a file and an applicant appear to have a 'stronger' case we did an extensive background on their employment......also a website called theworknumber.com will have you listed with employers, pending that employer is contracted with them.....

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, there are definately ways to find out.

I don't get it either, but for whatever reason we are seen as providing good service and have a pretty good rep. When we're in the bay at the hospital, the FD guys will come over to chat or help us unload a larger pt while looking at some of the other services, they are on their own... Its strange I tell ya!