Application or Resume? Walk in?

antonio7983

Forum Probie
I am having trouble writing a resume because I have zero experience working as an emt i have everything my driving certificate my emt county card and im About to look for a Job , Do i go to the companies and ask for an application or do I take them my resume? A little help if its ok with you guys and girls id appreciate it thanks.^_^

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Walk in and introduce yourself and pick up their application.

For your standard EMS job, there is no need for a resume to be submitted. First, you fill out their application and attach a resume for review if you wish, however at this point in your employment history, there is very little worthwhile info for you to put on a resume.

They want a body, with a certification and a clean driving and criminal background (and even that is optional at times). :)

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Might be too late for this, but.

Some companies offer their application for download and printing. At the minimum you need their application, and all your certifications. Some of them will even accept the application online, and you only bring in your certs when they ask to see you.

Personally, I went in with the application, a resume (I had experience that didn't fit anywhere in the application which was relevant that I wanted to convey), a cover letter, as well as copies of everything, front and back. The reaction I got with that seemed that I was out of the norm. Oh, and it should go without saying, don't go in in cut offs, a tank top, and flip flops...

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
the "superprofessionalists" here will tell you you need to submit a resume and cv for every job.

it has been my experience that for most emt jobs, this is over kill. you're at the entry level stage. this means you're probably not going for the flashy high profile jobs that have 100 applicants per opening. you're probably going to be going for one of the we'll hire anybody stepping stone companies where just about everybody starts. for that, a resume is a waste of paper.

walk in and ask for an application. check their website first to see if they make it available online and save the trip. fill it out and turn it in.

i was actaully hired on the spot not to long ago. just walked in for an application. shorts and a t shirt; id forgotten to swap my sunglasses for my eye glasses so i still had those one; i hadnt shaved in at least three days. i wasnt planning on spending more than 2 minutes there. but the ops manager happened to be the first guy i saw and asked him for an application. he handed me one and pointed me to the ready room to fill it out. i did, just to save the stamp. i still wasnt expecting an interview. bout 10min later, he walks in and sits down. he picks up the pages im already done with and starts reading. he calls the insurance company and has them pull my driving record. before im even done with teh application, he has the scheduling guy come in and we start talking shifts. then we went to the uniform room and i got my issue. i started like 14hrs later.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you have any other job, volunteer (not necessarily EMS volunteer work) experience, leadership experience, orpost secondary education then you should be able to write a resume. You should be able to write a short summery of what you did (job description) for any of those. As far as application, make sure to check the company's website. Most of the ambulance companies that I know of have an online application and will schedule and interview/preemployment test off of that.

i was actaully hired on the spot not to long ago. just walked in for an application. shorts and a t shirt; id forgotten to swap my sunglasses for my eye glasses so i still had those one; i hadnt shaved in at least three days. i wasnt planning on spending more than 2 minutes there. but the ops manager happened to be the first guy i saw and asked him for an application. he handed me one and pointed me to the ready room to fill it out. i did, just to save the stamp. i still wasnt expecting an interview. bout 10min later, he walks in and sits down. he picks up the pages im already done with and starts reading. he calls the insurance company and has them pull my driving record. before im even done with teh application, he has the scheduling guy come in and we start talking shifts. then we went to the uniform room and i got my issue. i started like 14hrs later.

Sounds kinda of like how I got my water park job (the EMT supervisor was a coworker and they needed someone to cover a shift. I didn't have a partner that day so I was going home early and asked was asked to cover the shift. Easiest job interview I've ever had).

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
List your work history to show you have the ability to get and hold a job. Show the duties you performed, it shows you can follow instructions and work as part of a team. Doesn't need to be EMS related, but shows you are a mature individual who looks at a job as more than 'this might be fun'.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As one that performs or makes recommendation on whom to hire, here is my opinion. Want to be treated like a professional, then be one.

Have a well prepared resume. Most EMT's do not have a Curriculum vitae (CV) or understand the difference, but it is doubtful most have been published or cited in references.

Yes, I will look all applications thoroughly, but a resume will catch my eye and when I reviewing > than 10 or so a week, that is a help to that individual. As well, demonstrates to me that you are serious about your career and profession. It also demonstrates that you have prepared yourself for this opening. Don't worry about lacking EMS experience on your resume. I may review and seen that you have exposure on working with the public, or dealing with persons on a individual basis. This is as important as one that had been an EMT and volunteering on a one call a week. We will give the individual experience, it is much harder to obtain the professional.

Yes, fill out the application form. Be sure to write legibly and check your spelling. I always ask for two, in case I make a mistake as well as attach my resume or CV. In areas of history, etc. I will write see attach resume or CV.

Be sure to ask important questions, most EMS require testing and multiple application processes, be patient. Ask when you should enquire to call or be notified. I have refused on-the-spot interviews. I much rather give a professional appearance and be prepared, most employers understand if informed politely. As well, I would investigate any service that needs personal that fast... do you want to really work for a company hurting that bad? ...

R/r 911

imurphy

Forum Captain
Definately posting in an application form is better than walking in. It gives you a chance to read up on the company! :)