anything in southern cali that does not involve amr for a single role medic

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Wait, what? But they still hire part-time medics. We are talking about Sierra Madre FD, right?

Granted you're right, it was years ago since I had applied, but the taste they left in my mouth then was certainly one that painted a very discretionary selection process picture with regard to their hiring tactics.

I do know (then) they were having some internal issues with their staff that was running the paramedic program, but again, have no clue what's changed since.

i always enjoy reading your responses. cuz it always seems we walked in the same shoes. i too applied, interviewed and go the same feeling, and promptly the thanks but no thanks email. lol

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
Wait, what? But they still hire part-time medics. We are talking about Sierra Madre FD, right?

Granted you're right, it was years ago since I had applied, but the taste they left in my mouth then was certainly one that painted a very discretionary selection process picture with regard to their hiring tactics.

I do know (then) they were having some internal issues with their staff that was running the paramedic program, but again, have no clue what's changed since.

I got the same impression when I interviewed- and this was relatively recently.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
who is an EMT ?
I'm guessing they assumed you, based on this statement:
are they not all basics?
Perhaps the others didn't quite catch the Texas "paramedic" patch on your screen pic, or your paramedic status in your profile.

Either way, can you elaborate who you're referring to when you asked the above question? Many things get missed and, clearly, misinterpreted via the interwebs.

Edit: Or thread title/ question. Again, I'd still like to know what, or who you meant weren't EMT's? Fire, or SoCal ambulance providers...

Last edited:

IFRMedic

Forum Probie
i always enjoy reading your responses. cuz it always seems we walked in the same shoes. i too applied, interviewed and go the same feeling, and promptly the thanks but no thanks email. lol
____

So, i guess the Captain in charge of EMS/hiring won't hire medics with little to no experience, and especially those with only IFT experience. He was in the private sector for a long time, and he is big on "quality" paramedics. The rather low call volume doesn't leave a lot of time for on the job training.. he wants you 'good to go'

Also, i guess they have LAPD and LASD (and a couple other agencies i forgot) guys with P#s on their dept working as medics on the RA as well. crazy.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of first in 911 systems that standout in my mind that are situated in the Central Valley, or on the Central Coast. Most, if not all are actively looking for paramedics.

Riggs Ambulance (Merced)
American Ambulance (Fresno/Kings)
Hall Ambulance (Bakersfield)
San Luis Ambulance (SLO)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
If I ever had to move back, I'd go with one of those four.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
____

So, i guess the Captain in charge of EMS/hiring won't hire medics with little to no experience, and especially those with only IFT experience. He was in the private sector for a long time, and he is big on "quality" paramedics. The rather low call volume doesn't leave a lot of time for on the job training.. he wants you 'good to go'

Also, i guess they have LAPD and LASD (and a couple other agencies i forgot) guys with P#s on their dept working as medics on the RA as well. crazy.
The LAPD and LASD people have been medics for well over 10-15 years and only do it for fun. SMFD is an interesting place, call volume super low, constant turnover in the volunteer FF ranks, paid PT engineers and medics, and FT captains. It can be a good place to get used to how the fire service is, in terms of station life, and things like that.

FoleyArtist

____

Just because I made a poor choice in choosing a screen name gave you the assumption I was fresh out of school or had ONLY IFT experience? I came into that interview with 5 years medic experience with equal amount of als IFT and 911 als experience outside of LA Co. and outside of California for that matter. If he wanted quality medics then he should've at least gave me the chance because I made it very clear the lengths i would go to provide the best als care i could have provided for that dept. functioning in that county. Where the interview took turns for the worst and a little unfriendly if you ask me is when he found out I had no fire science classes and my passion laid with paramedicine. Also, as @jgmedic stated I wanted to explore and learn more about fire based ems and station life.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Just because I made a poor choice in choosing a screen name gave you the assumption I was fresh out of school or had ONLY IFT experience? I came into that interview with 5 years medic experience with equal amount of als IFT and 911 als experience outside of LA Co. and outside of California for that matter. If he wanted quality medics then he should've at least gave me the chance because I made it very clear the lengths i would go to provide the best als care i could have provided for that dept. functioning in that county. Where the interview took turns for the worst and a little unfriendly if you ask me is when he found out I had no fire science classes and my passion laid with paramedicine. Also, as @jgmedic stated I wanted to explore and learn more about fire based ems and station life.

I had 2.5 years ALS 911 experience, no fire anything, but I had a good friend who worked there.

FoleyArtist

I had 2.5 years ALS 911 experience, no fire anything, but I had a good friend who worked there.

I had no in like that. I also thought maybe i would've benefitted from a station visit. But it was years ago. Live and learn.

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member

The captain that does the interviews seems to equate anything non-fire with IFT. I had to explain several times that I had experience as a first-in medic, just not with a fire department. Not a great experience interviewing there, very off-putting to have the basic aspects of your previous job questioned over and over.

IFRMedic

Forum Probie

There is no need for fire science classes to work as a medic there. He indeed wants medics with a passion for medicine, so if you are still interested maybe brush up on your interview skills and reapply sometime.

Generic

Forum Crew Member
Aha, answered my own question lol

North end of San Luis Obispo County, Cambria Community Healthcare District, and yup they're in CALPERS, 3% at 50 according to their website

Thanks to Jerry Brown, that is no longer the case. New people to the CALPERS system will be under the new formula of 2.7% at 57. Cambria needs to update their website.

ANissan951

Forum Probie
I know San Bernadino County fire has single role ambulance operators both emt and medics and Escondido Fire Department also has single role Medic jobs