Anyone work for Durham county EMS?

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
I applied for Durham county EMS and was wondering if anyone can give some insight on the hiring process and what it is like working there.
Thanks

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Haven't worked there myself but know there's a few people on here who have.
They run 12hr trucks, 3 days one week and 4 the next, rotating days/nights/weekends among all employees. Mostly dual medic staffing, with a few EMT-I's and even fewer basics. They run in Medium Duty type 3's, and the company has a lease program so they cycle out old units for new ones regularly.
It's County run so decent benefits, average pay for the area.
Durham is a fairly rough city with low income relative to surrounding areas, and tends to have a lot of gang violence, drugs, etc, as well as a large portion of interstate and some upper class areas around Chapel Hill.
From the people I've talked to, it's a solid county run third service, and they do quite a bit of EMS research/studies with Duke. Have yet to hear anything negative about the company.

OP
OP
B

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks sounds like a great place to work for.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Their new Director is Skip Kirkwood, formerly of Wake County. He's an EMS Manager that seems to "get it".

If I was willing to pick up and move 1000 miles, I'd apply in a heartbeat.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Their boss has a pretty stellar reputation as well, especially after his stint with Wake County EMS

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I applied for Durham county EMS and was wondering if anyone can give some insight on the hiring process and what it is like working there.
Thanks
from the Durham County EMS assessment website:
Applications are processed at Human Resources and eligible candidates applications are forwarded to the Durham County EMS hiring official.

If a qualified candidate is chosen by the Durham County EMS hiring official, the hiring official will contact applicants to participate in the Durham County EMS Assessment Center Process. The Assessment Center Examination Process is based on National Standard of Care Procedures and the following:

DOT National Standard Curriculum for Paramedic, Intermediate and Basic
AHA ACLS, BLS and PALS
PHTLS or ITLS
PEPP
GEMS

The assessment center consists of a general knowledge examination for basic, intermediate and paramedic applicants. Intermediates and Paramedics will also have an EKG recognition examination. All candidates will participate in a scope of practice evaluation at the level of application and an oral interview. All candidates will be required to complete a physical agility test. To see an over view of the agility test click here Agility Test. For the release form click here Release Form.

Criminal histories, driving records, personal and work references will be conducted including the candidates current/last employer. Applications that are chosen for hire will be sent back to human resources for final approval. Once EMS receives final approval candidates will be contacted by the hiring official and employment offers will be made. Candidates will be required to take a pre-employment drug screen and health physical.

Candidates will participate in a Durham County Government Orientation and Durham County EMS Orientation program.
http://dconc.gov/index.aspx?page=167

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Their new Director is Skip Kirkwood, formerly of Wake County. He's an EMS Manager that seems to "get it".

If I was willing to pick up and move 1000 miles, I'd apply in a heartbeat.

Their boss has a pretty stellar reputation as well, especially after his stint with Wake County EMS

That guy made me feel dumb every single time I talked to him.

Intentionally or unintentionally.

I'd love to work for him.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Hey I'm a medic with Durham...what you want to know?

I'd love to hear about your protocols. Station based (dynamic or fixed) or system status? Is there a pay range posted publicly somewhere? Hows the morale? Hows the call volume? Average shifts in a day? All 911 or are there IFTs mixed in there? Any CCT? Sounds like y'all have nice ambulances, hows the rest of the equipment?

Is there snow there? Consistently. And some mountains? or at least hills...that get snow consistently... :lol:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
And do you hire cripples?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Too soon? :lol:

medic4826

Forum Probie
We actually just updated our protocols with the new protocols the state put out. Currently there are no medications that you need to contact medical control for, including sedation. We use Duke ED as our M/C. We are a station based EMS system but going to be placing Peak truck units out around May. We are expanding because we are taking over EMS operations in the lower part of the county (3 ALS ambulances). We respond only to 911 calls but occasionally the one hospital will request our services for txp to Duke if their ambulances (Duke Life Flight) are not available.

Currently the pay range is about $35000 to $60000 top out but the county is just finishing up a comp study, so we are hoping for a nice raise. We are in the process of updating all our ambulances with Ferno power stretchers and X Zoll monitors.

The morale is okay at the moment...having a new director and getting used to things is taking some time but it all appears for the good. Our call volume as a system is about 45 to 50K. We run currently 11 ambulances but that is expanding by July to at least 15 to 16.

Durham is a great place to work...PLENTY of mixed calls from medicals (resp, cardiac) to trauma (GSW, wrecks). Durham has a pretty bad rep for gangs but the city/county are working toward fixing that. I live in the city limits and have no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the response. It looks like they will not take out of state applicants. It says you need to have a valid NC license. Is that true ?? I didn't even get a response from HR.

medic4826

Forum Probie
Yes in order to work you need a valid NC DL. I moved from NY and got my NC license before I started. I know they got like 170 applications and are doing multiple assessment centers. I know its been alot for our HR rep, especially since we have a lot of changes going on...if you PM me your name and whatnot I can try to find out info for me.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Seconded on the thank you for the answers!

So you have to live in NC or work in NC or have gone to Paramedic school in NC to be credentialed per the website...and you have to have an NC cert to apply so I think you're correct blachatch.

adwr070621

Forum Probie
Yes in order to work you need a valid NC DL. I moved from NY and got my NC license before I started. I know they got like 170 applications and are doing multiple assessment centers. I know its been alot for our HR rep, especially since we have a lot of changes going on...if you PM me your name and whatnot I can try to find out info for me.

I just moved to the area and would really like to get into Durham County EMS as well. Is it ok if I send you a PM also? Sorry to tag along on the poster's thread, but this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I just moved to the area and would really like to get into Durham County EMS as well. Is it ok if I send you a PM also? Sorry to tag along on the poster's thread, but this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

You're not going to be able to PM until you have 5 productive posts. Just a heads up.

I'd say post your questions publicly unless it's something you're really not comfortable putting up publicly... Might answer some other people's questions and save medic4826 from having to answer the same questions over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator: