anyone have recommendation on best knife/utility for edc for emt?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I did finally use a seatbelt cutter a few weeks back while extricating a fatality, only took 7 years. I was on the fire side that day. Seat belt cutters suck, ill take a knife or shears any day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Robert Branch

Forum Probie
Thanks hometownmedic5, my school is basically paid for. I just wanted to insure that I had whatever essential tools I might need in various situations. Just didn't want to go out with my "gun half loaded", so to speak.

OP
OP
R

Robert Branch

Forum Probie
Just want to give a shout out to everyone who was kind enough to respond and give me more insight.
I sincerely do appreciate your opinions, and that's the kind of advice a "newbie" needs.
Thx, again to all.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Benchmade 940. I never thought I would spend that much on a knife, but hot damn its nice. Scary sharp as well. I don't buy into the whole EMS this and that crap when it comes to knifes and whatnot. Really, in my 5 years as a EMT I've never needed to use a seatbelt cutter or a window breaker. That stuff you can find in the rig or in the bags.

OP
OP
R

Robert Branch

Forum Probie
Thanks for your input CALEMT, but unfortunately I can't cost justify that knife as of now. Maybe down the road. Looks like a sweet blade, and I would love to have one, but loks like I'll have to start with a beginner knife like the "Gerber henderer". Until I can afford the Benchmade 940. Wish I had the funds, but don't t time being. :( just can't spent 250.00+ for blade at this point. ( Wish I could)
Thanks for input and insight though.
If ya know of anyone that has a spare or extra one to donate to a worthy cause, I'd be glad to enlist.!!!!!!! lol:)
Thanks again,
bbranchtech

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Thanks for your input CALEMT, but unfortunately I can't cost justify that knife as of now. Maybe down the road. Looks like a sweet blade, and I would love to have one, but loks like I'll have to start with a beginner knife like the "Gerber henderer". Until I can afford the Benchmade 940. Wish I had the funds, but don't t time being. :( just can't spent 250.00+ for blade at this point. ( Wish I could)
Thanks for input and insight though.
If ya know of anyone that has a spare or extra one to donate to a worthy cause, I'd be glad to enlist.!!!!!!! lol:)
Thanks again,
bbranchtech

I'm just curious, but why? Why spend $250 on a knife... ever? Especially one that doesn't make any sense to use in EMS. You certainly don't need or want "wicked sharp", you need a knife that works with gloves on, won't cut the patient to shreds and does more than just sit in your pocket and look good. The Hinderer isn't a beginner blade, it was designed as a rescue knife. Plain and simple. It's not a stab 'em up sexy blade.

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
I'm just curious, but why? Why spend $250 on a knife... ever? Especially one that doesn't make any sense to use in EMS. You certainly don't need or want "wicked sharp", you need a knife that works with gloves on, won't cut the patient to shreds and does more than just sit in your pocket and look good. The Hinderer isn't a beginner blade, it was designed as a rescue knife. Plain and simple. It's not a stab 'em up sexy blade.

My EDC is a Zero Tolerance knife, spent about $160 or so on it...I carry one on me all the time, and have for years. My biggest thing about spending that kind of money on a knife was that I was looking for a much harder steel knife, the S30V steel holds up a lot better for what I tend to do, as far as abusing the knife blade. I carry it at work also, but I also only have used it to cut open supply boxes while at work when restocking the truck. Can't say I've used it or plan on using it in terms of patient care.

I did buy 3 sets of cheap shears, paid about $8 per. My job does provide shears, so it normally would be a moot point, but as a left handed person, trying to cut stuff with righthanded scissors has never gone well for me. If you're not familiar with this issue, look it up, the struggle is real. All growing up I couldn't figure out why I couldn't ever cut a piece of paper without mangling it, until I realized the cutting edge is designed differently for left handed people and right handed people. Some scissors are ambidextrous, most are not. That's the only reason I bought my own set of shears, and they're cheap ones so if they break, get way too nasty, or I leave them somewhere, it doesn't matter.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I carry the Raptors and a Leatherman Skeletool. Both purchased with the EMS pro deal, which made it much easier to justify.

As an aside, Denver Fire has Raptors on all their apparatus because they can cut turnouts and the cheaper scissors will not.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I can't cost justify that knife as of now.

I actually bought mine off Amazon. It wasn't as much on benchmades website, but still cost a pretty penny.

I don't use my knife for pretty much anything patient care related at work. I didn't buy this knife just for work, it's my edc and probably the only knife I'll ever use (cause the price). The customer service is good where if something breaks it's replaced although I don't expect this knife to break. You can also send it back to have it sharpened when its dull. It's a tool that opens boxes, cuts open those stubborn bags that never want to come off something, cuts food, etc. While I'm not a knife connoisseur, there's people out there that can give you every minute detail. I just know that the steel is good, it's comfortable, and it's lightweight, therefore it works for me.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
hqdefault.jpg