anyone have recommendation on best knife/utility for edc for emt?

Robert Branch

Forum Probie
I have been researching best knife for EMT/EMS for edc.
From what I've read, the BenchMade Triage 915s seems to be one that stands out. I dunno ????
Being a student, monies are somewhat limited. I'd hate to spend or squander 170.00 for a tool that no one would recommend. Would appreciate any insight from veterans out there that could advise me.
Sincerely,
bbranchtech

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Not many providers carry the "EMS" style knifes. In my experience they are either way overpriced, or cheaply made, or to big to be comfortable.

I have a Gerber Hinderer knife that just sits in a drawer where it has been for probably 3 years. In 6 years in EMS I have never once needed it.

My EDC while working and while off duty is a Benchmade knife (non EMS knife).

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Buy a Kershaw or something. My EDC is a Kershaw Cryo and a Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

With the savings buy Leatherman Raptor shears.

Thank me later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Funny, it's all personal preference. I carry a Gerber Hinderer as my EDC and I use it all the time. It's great for prying and opening boxes and such. I'm not often stabbing stuff, so the blunt tip works great for me. I don't use it at work for much more than turning an O2 bottle on... but I did use it a few weeks ago to pry a window open in a house we had to force entry in.

As far as shears, I like the xShears much more than the Raptors. But really any shears will do. The Raptor seems to be more of a "FNG" tool.

But, ya know... buy what you like.

OP
OP
R

Robert Branch

Forum Probie
Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it. My EDC is a Kershaw Ken Onion Blur S30v. and I really like it, but wasn't sure it'd be adequate for work scenarios. It's about a third of the cost of the BenchMade..I'll look into the spyderco Paramilitary 2, and Leatherman Raptor shears.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
R

Robert Branch

Forum Probie
Thanks NomadicMedic,
I'll look into those as well. Just hate to buy the wrong thing that wouldn't be useful. The BenchMade is more than I'd rather spend, but did have seat belt hook, and carbon tipped glass breaker, but my Kershaw is razor sharp, and should cut seat belt fine if necessary. I'll look at the Syderco as well, but never really cared much for the design or ergonomics of Spyderco's.. Personally !!!!!!! However, I've always like my SOG's and Kershaws
Thx again.
Figured some of y'all veterans would know better than me being a "neebie". lol

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Save the money - you probably don't need an expensive knife. Or, really, a knife - shears are good for 90% of your tasks.

OP
OP
R

Robert Branch

Forum Probie
Thanks EpiEMS, I appreciate the input. I hate to waste y'alls time on such a trivial question. and sincerely, appreciate everyone's responses.
bbranchtech

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
EpiEMS,
Is there a particular make or model of shears that you'd prefer?

I genuinely would suggest against purchasing your own - why spend the money? Most services that I've been with stock them in the ambulance and in your first-in bag, or otherwise have them available for your taking (within reason).

NomadicMedic

This is true. 99% of the tools you will need are on the ambulance. People buy knives and shears and tactical pens and whatnot because it makes them feel cool. You'll never need them but it gives you something to talk about with the rest of the Bros.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
This is true. 99% of the tools you will need are on the ambulance. People buy knives and shears and tactical pens and whatnot because it makes them feel cool. You'll never need them but it gives you something to talk about with the rest of the Bros.

Rule #1: The more stuff you have on your belt, the less you know.
Corollary to Rule #1: Expensive stuff does not negate rule #1.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Rule #1: The more stuff you have on your belt, the less you know.
Corollary to Rule #1: Expensive stuff does not negate rule #1.
Rule #1 is Look Cool. Rule #2 Always know where you are/where you're going and what you're doing.....Rule #3 If you do get lost or don't know what you're doing.....look Cool while doing it

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Funny, it's all personal preference. I carry a Gerber Hinderer as my EDC and I use it all the time. It's great for prying and opening boxes and such. I'm not often stabbing stuff, so the blunt tip works great for me. I don't use it at work for much more than turning an O2 bottle on... but I did use it a few weeks ago to pry a window open in a house we had to force entry in.

As far as shears, I like the xShears much more than the Raptors. But really any shears will do. The Raptor seems to be more of a "FNG" tool.

But, ya know... buy what you like.
I want to punch the person in the face that decided to put a seat belt cutter on a pair of scissors.

I did use the ring cutter once, it worked.

I havent tried the other shears you mentioned but ive been using my Raptors for 3 years and still cut as good as the day I bought them.

I still wouldnt pay $80 for them but ill pay 50% off with leatherman pro

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

Yep. I got a free pair of ripShears to try back when I was writing an EMS blog. It was great in theory, but was a POS in operation.

I bought a Raptor using the Leatherman Pro program, found them to be too bulky and overkill for what I use shears for. They didn't fit in the shear pocket on my pants and the plastic holster was lousy. I sold them here a few months after I bought them.

I usually have a little leathernan multitool on my belt. I use that a lot. I carry the Hinderer because I got it as a gift from a dear friend when I got into paramedic school. I use that pretty often too. The xShears were a find at the Urgent Care I was working at. My big mitts fit well in the handles and they give me enough leverage. They cut like crazy. They are pink and grey, so if they go missing I'll recognize them. I'm a fan.

The only other thing I carry is a little tacti-cool flashlight. They're little Chinese knock offs, and I have 4 of them. :)

So, again... carry what you like and like what you use. It's all personal.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Ok, fine, being serious:

I carry a good flashlight, my rickety mini-trauma shears people find either "cute", or make fun of that I've had since I was a tech, and my trusty Littman C3; that is all.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
If "monies" are tight, dont buy crap you dont need.

Beyond that, knives are knives. Some are better than others, but if you can sharpen a knife, you can do just find with a 20 dollar knife and a 10 dollar sharpener than a 200 dollar knife that becomes a poorly shaped spoon down the road because you cant sharpen it. Also, knives get lost and stolen. If i was broke, I'd rather lose a 20 dollar knife than a 200 dollar knife.

If you work for a decent company, there will be shears and a ring cutter in the truck. If your company doesn't provide these basic tools, 1) but the cheap ones to use until you 2) find another job. We're not talking high speed wifi in the trucks here. This is basic crap.

On the topic of window punches,you can most likely save your money here too. In 13 years of EMS, i have "had" to take a window exactly one time(cardiac arrest, engine coming from a ways). I have taken more windows, but you're were fire guys there with the proper safety gear and so forth; so I didn't have to do it but did it anyway. Chances are excellent you'all go your entire career without ever being in a position where you're the only guy around to take a window. Are you going to carry a special tool every day just for that?

All that being said, yeah I'm kind of a hypocrite. I carry a spideco police model and the raptor. Ive carried a knife daily for 20 years, so i dont feel whackerish continuing to do so on duty and i like the Spyderco. Of the 50 something knives i own, this is the only one that has left the house in farther back than i can remember. I like the raptor because it folds and has an o2 wrench. There's one on the truck, but it never seems to be in the same place it was last time and i get tired of looking for it. Never used the strap knife. The scissors work just find and while they dont work better than the dollar store models so much, they sure do work longer. 2 years, many many articles of clothing, still kicking. But I can afford all of this. I dont have to budget for incidental purchases. You indicate that it might be a problem for you, so my recommendation is save your money for paramedic school, not gadgets.