Anyone do stand-bys at sporting events?

emt/fr

Forum Probie
Volunteer standby for hockey tournaments,and the local cancer walk. Once for the winter rugby tournament on a frozen lake. (crazy college kids, one dislocated shoulder, and another took a cleat right above the eye.)
One paid gig , standby for the go cart track $60 bucks plus free soda and meal. I do that a few times a year.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've worked a standy for Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King's Wife, that included amazing food. That's the first and last time I'll ever get to eat steak while on duty. Nothing exciting, but I did manage to eat quite a few of the shrimp cocktails :D

I recently worked a standby for a high school basketball game. All of a sudden the pager goes crazy, it says something like "Major Trauma, ALS en route." I think I already told this story, it ended up being a stubbed finger.

And that's about it. Another life saved :rolleyes: ;) :lol:

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
HS football, Local football team that is trying to pretend they ain't all fat and over 40, HS wrestling, Snow tube hill in the winter, various summer events for the tourists, saddle horse rodeo...er....that's it I think.

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by Chimpie+May 16 2005, 04:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ May 16 2005, 04:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Phridae@May 16 2005, 01:57 PM
Then we have the Wisconsin School for the Deaf, and they have foot ball so theres standby for that.
So are the deaf playing football or is it a charity even for the deaf? Do you have anyone on your dept. who can sign? [/b][/quote]
No, its school football, just like high school football.

We have a deaf member of our squad. He can talk and hear, but not very well at all.

I know the alaphabet and a few other little signs. Enough to provide some half a$$ed communication when needed. I would think that we should be taught to sign, seeing as the Wisconsin school for the deaf is in Delavan and we respond there quite a bit. Apparently I'm alone in that though.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Football games only, here.

On my previous department, we did standbys for the football games and major golf tournaments. One of the golf courses used to be on the Nike Tour. We also worked standby for a Junior Achievement 100 holes of golf in a day fund-raiser.

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
We do high school football games, county fair, dirt bike races and all sorts of other stuff they host at the fairgrounds. Football games we get the usual broken bones. spraines,neck injuries at the fair anything from a bee sting to cardiac arrests in the packed grandstands at the very top.

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
We do a day or two at the County Fair, which usually includes some sort of event... demo derby, rodeo, etc. BUT I'm the newby so I get stuck in the EMS tent. They call it BA4BB detial- band aid for boo boo. WOO HOOO!!
:p