Anyone do stand-bys at sporting events?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Any experiences?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok... Burns from the band parent spilling hot-dog water all over her foot.

Band parents twisting ankles in the shot-put area (behind the goalposts on the football field)

Football and Basketball players with "stingers" getting expensive helicopter rides to trauma centers.

broken arms and legs.

This is all high school football games.

Also - Womans' College Intermural Rugby torney in the city. BLS trauma Alerted a "worst headache of my life" s/p bad tackle with possible LOC. The ED's 2 trauma room paramedics - one was one of my instructors in medic school, the other was an old partner of mine. The trauma doc met us at the door and called for a level 1 alert. Don't know exactly what happened, but the pt. was addmitted to the neuro service for 2 days.

Jon

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
hehe, two of the departments in my area have a football game on Thanksgiving... does giving O2 to drunk firefighters in between plays count?

Yeah, we do some around here, nothing too interesting, except the young lacrosse player who died when he got hit in the chest with a lacrosse ball and started the whole AEDs in schools thing - I talked about it in this thread: FDA removes AED prescription requirement!, well, sort of... but I wasn't there when that happened.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I used to take my whacker mobile, crates of stuff and my brother and do first aid stand by's at a summer camp.

Didn't get paid enough to keep doing it though.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@May 16 2005, 01:09 PM
I used to take my whacker mobile, crates of stuff and my brother and do first aid stand by's at a summer camp.

Didn't get paid enough to keep doing it though.
I do it for large boy scout weekend events... lots of morons with pocketknives thhat need band-aids.

Jon

Luno

OG
Premium Member
When I was on a rig, we would get some cool ones, we did motorcycle races, motocross, and for a local promotion, Pro Wrestling. Saw some cool stuff at the motocross, mostly broken bones, ankles, wrist/fingers, couple legs, you know, the sos.

Rugby, hehehe, I miss rugby, I never worked sidelines, but I played, dislocated shoulder/torn rotator R, bruised ribs, broken fingers, but that was just me, saw severe concussions, etc.... Then we'd go out and drink!

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
They do a few things here. High school foot ball games for one. Then we have the Wisconsin School for the Deaf, and they have foot ball so theres standby for that. Then theres something in the winter with people jumping into the lake in Febuary or something.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Phridae@May 16 2005, 01:57 PM
Then we have the Wisconsin School for the Deaf, and they have foot ball so theres standby for that.
So are the deaf playing football or is it a charity even for the deaf? Do you have anyone on your dept. who can sign?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I learned sign language just for the heck of it.. turns out most hearing impared persons I've met are able to read lips and don't use sign language anymore. :huh:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Phridae@May 16 2005, 03:57 PM
Then theres something in the winter with people jumping into the lake in Febuary or something.
Now, after that, do you drag everyone into the ED and 302 them????

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Luno@May 16 2005, 03:23 PM
When I was on a rig, we would get some cool ones, we did motorcycle races, motocross, and for a local promotion, Pro Wrestling. Saw some cool stuff at the motocross, mostly broken bones, ankles, wrist/fingers, couple legs, you know, the sos.

Rugby, hehehe, I miss rugby, I never worked sidelines, but I played, dislocated shoulder/torn rotator R, bruised ribs, broken fingers, but that was just me, saw severe concussions, etc.... Then we'd go out and drink!
I'm actually looking at a job where I would do ONLY special event stuff - Convention Center, Big wrestling events in Atlantic City, and Parades, concerts, other stuff in the city....

Pay ain't gread, but I love that type of work. Plus, my -P school Med. Director "happens to be" their Medical Director. He sort of cornered me in the ED last month with a "when are you coming to work for us..."

Jon

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Worked the cheerleading competitions. Broken ankles, busted noses, asthma attacks and lots of pissed off Mom's when their girls teams did not win.

I have also worked boxing, college basketball, concerts, football games (pissed off a couple of trainers).

And the worst and most dangerous assignment ever;

"The AARP Health Fair". Aghhh, I get nightmares thinking about it. No blood pressure ever is the right one, and old guys grabbing my leg during a BP check does not Turn me on "EVER!", no matter what they think. Its not Cute!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
"The AARP Health Fair". Aghhh, I get nightmares thinking about it. No blood pressure ever is the right one, and old guys grabbing my leg during a BP check does not Turn me on "EVER!", no matter what they think. Its not Cute!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Margaritaville@May 16 2005, 06:32 PM
Yuck

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Margaritaville@May 16 2005, 08:32 PM
Worked the cheerleading competitions. Broken ankles, busted noses, asthma attacks and lots of pissed off Mom's when their girls teams did not win.
That's why you work them, not me.... I'd be worried about those "funny looking deformaties"

j/k

Girls rugby beats all....

HOT girls.... kicking, screaming, biting, VICIOUS.... I want to warn their boyfriends.......

emtbuff

Forum Captain
We sit at the high school foot ball game. We had a sprained ankle by some other children running around. A couple years before I got on one of my class mates broke his femur. Foot was up by his head.

Other wise we sit out at the demo derby during labor day weekend. Had a burn one of the years that I was out there but other than that not a whole lot.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Ever notice how it's the kids playing around outside of the sporting even who get more hurt than those who are actually playing said sporting event?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@May 16 2005, 08:45 PM
Ever notice how it's the kids playing around outside of the sporting even who get more hurt than those who are actually playing said sporting event?
or the band parents

emtbuff

Forum Captain
MedicStudentJon Posted on May 16 2005, 08:52 PM
QUOTE (Chimpie @ May 16 2005, 08:45 PM)

or the band parents

Yup I would have to agree. The band parents just aren't paying attention like they normally would. And the children don't have any supervision. Becuase Their parents droped them off figuring others around the place will watch their child till the event is over. And hey if no one knows mom and dad arent there then we can do what we want and get hurt.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
When I graduated from High School, it had rained the day before. The lawn by the school was really soft. So We were confident that the band stand was firm on the pieces of board we copped from the janitor closet.

Nope. We got the whole band on there for practice, and the back row sank, snapped the boards, and the whole band stand collapsed. Seven ankle injuries, and one head injury.

But we didn't have EMS on hand b/c who would think it necessary for graduation? :blink: