Anyone been running into this lately?

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
What about taking patients from an SNF, and they don't keep the actual DNR on hand, only copies?

How do you handle that?

Actually had to handle that the other day. Told them sorry, I couldn't accept that, and I would have to try revive the patient if she crashed out.

We have rules to follow. Breaking them isn't exactly going to help our stature.

JPINFV

Gadfly
What about taking patients from an SNF, and they don't keep the actual DNR on hand, only copies?

How do you handle that?

Where I currently work a copy of the prehosptial DNR works fine. At my old location a copy of any physician signed DNR was acceptable as well as viewing the written order in the patient's medical chart (licensed health care facilities only for this one).

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you are not out to make a million dollars, the pay in EMS is pretty decent. I survive just fine in big cities and try not to work a lot of OT.

Money is never the answer to making a better system, it is just a band aid over the major problems!

Money is pretty important if you're trying to pay off 100k+ in education debt and want to have a life outside of EMS. I do agree that increasing only pay is just a band aid. Increased pay doesn't change the current culture of EMS and the culture does more damage than any amount of pay does.

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant

How do you handle that?

You know what I never really thought about it...I will have to ask when I get back to work and I will let y'all know...or maybe I will ask in class tomorrow. Anyway stand by and we will figure otu the answer to that.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

How do you handle that?

My old companies policy at that was that copies of the EMS DNR worked fine, and sometimes originals of the facility DNR would work. Now if they didn't have a copy of anything for me, we worked em as a full code

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
in MA, a copy of the CC-DNR must travel with the patient in order to be valid.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, like I said, we need the original copy. Copies and reproductions don't count. It's ticked off more than a couple people.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Money is pretty important if you're trying to pay off 100k+ in education debt and want to have a life outside of EMS. I do agree that increasing only pay is just a band aid. Increased pay doesn't change the current culture of EMS and the culture does more damage than any amount of pay does.

Education and money will have to improve for EMS to move forward. Which will have to come first? Some argue the education will lead to the money others say that with our low pay we can never demand higher education.