Anyone actually personally experience 2nd hand defib?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
As in "Ready....charging....CLICK....CLEAR!"... :blush: :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I witnessed an ED tech get shocked twice by a pts AICD, but that is as close as I've come.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I've never seen it...

...but when they zapped a guy on a metal spinboard in a wet gutter, you can bet it was a chorus line of us getting up and out when they yelled "CLEAR!".

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
That sounds like a good way to create a whole raft of new patients. Some things, you just don't want to f*** around with.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I want to hook up the defibrillator to the doorknob at work.

Walk in "emergencies"...
Knock-kno......:wacko:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
They guy who got shocked by the AICD jumped, and said it was strong enough he could feel it, but it more surprised him than hurt.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I have. Back when I was still working in EMS, I was knocked off a patient in the emergency department after the resident running the resuscitation failed to call "CLEAR". Zero warning at all: He just charged the defib and fired it. Both me and the guy who were bagging got a nasty zap, but I caught the brunt of it (since I didn't have the ET tube and BVM as insulators). It was a little like what happens when you get zapped inadvertently touching a 120 volt electrical cord. Apparently (from what I was told...I'm a little fuzzy on the exact sequence of events) my legs buckled from under me, I went face first into the side of the bed and slid back on the floor. Afterwards, I found myself on the floor and the attending was standing over me going "Are you OK? If you want to punch *the resident* I won't say anything." I was no worse for the wear besides a bloody nose and some aching muscles.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
when I was growing up, we were so poor, I had to use my brother's AED. It didn't even fit. Now I am rich enough to own my own AED.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Oh, USAFMEDIC! Were you wearing gloves?

B)
First time I defibbed a guy his knees came up and whacked me. No zap. I almost remember the two times I got house current, though...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
B)
First time I defibbed a guy his knees came up and whacked me. No zap. I almost remember the two times I got house current, though...
Yeah, but they were the nitrile variety which apparently do a very good job of insulating apparently because I sure as hell felt it. Hell, for all I know I had a hole in them and hadn't noticed....

Melbourne MICA

Forum Captain
Ouch!

Had a pt once who arrested after an inferior infarct - bradyed out to VF in front of me. Had the pads already so he got zapped 200J>>>>refractory period then back into VF.

.........However I was a bit quick. He must have had some neurones still firing off and a bit of residual oxygenated blood upstairs....and he groaned and lifted his arms up and touched my elbow.......just as he got the second zap... which I got as well. Threw me against the back wall of the truck. I arrived at the A&E looking rather pale and spent the rest of the day being monitored.

As for the pt - - he lived - cath lab, plasty etc.

Man.....the sacrifices you make for your pts!!!

In truth it was actually rather dumb. I was a basic at the time and there was no Paramedic backup available (so what else is new). So we loaded and went.
With the zaps - I should have waited a little longer so he was completely still... or is that completely arrested?

200J lesson for the uninitiated. Lived and learnt. Never again.

To say it was like being kicked by a mule is an understatement. 80kg of ambo boofhead launched across the inside of an ambulance by a bit of electricity.

MM

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Physics for USAFMEDIC

High voltage seeks teeny tiney holes or even slightly conductive paths.
Off thread: AFSC 90270?

mikie

Forum Lurker
2 Joules in PALS class

Nobody is really sure how it happened, but I was definitely hit. Had a weird feeling for a while inside, despite being such low energy.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
had an EMT-B get nailed by the patients arm coming off the ground and hitting him (EMT was straddling the arm).

My partner and I pulled a patient out of the front seat of a Pickup truck and laid him on the ground just after it stopped raining. we felt the first 2 shocks through our pants, where are knees were on the ground. the 3 shock we were both squatting on our heels. patient survived and was talking to us on the way to the hospital.

JeJmFs

Forum Ride Along
I have been zapped. Long time ago. First responding to a call. Man coded while enroute. Medic never said a word just charged and shocked. Guys hand was touching my leg. Feels a lot like being tazed. I would not recommend it. ha

Summit

Critical Crazy
when i was growing up, we were so poor, i had to use my brother's aed. It didn't even fit. Now i am rich enough to own my own aed.

I LOLed

jason152318

Forum Probie
I was zapped once by a pt's internal defib/pacer. I was doing CPR, had the pads on the guy, and ZAP! I flew back, mostly from surprise and thought one of the paramedics had hit the shock button. My hand cramped up but that was it. It happened three more times on the way to the hospital. Kind of a funny story at the station.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Mythbusters version...

Anyone see their old episode where they made a model of the "Ark of the Covenent" with two gold-metal figurines which you grasped and received then "divine shock"...only they amped it up? Watch it sometime...or right now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQU2K6KlsA
I only wish Scotty's turn is posted; as it is she is sitting down and not looking real chipper as Adam gets lit up. She looked to have actually taken a strong physiologic hit.

Perfect science, conduct a fence charger discharge from one hand, presumably through and around the chest, to the other.

gamma6

Forum Crew Member
an old boss of mine worked for this ems company down in south texas where they had brought a guy in with v-fib. they ran the acls algorithm a few times but he wouldn't convert. when they got to the hospital an old crusty doc was there. my boss said clear a couple of times and finally the doc took his hand off the stretcher, the 2nd time around he wasn't so lucky. the doc said clear and held his hands up but didn't realize his junk was touching the side of the stretcher. let's just say he had an enlightening experience.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
...but when they zapped a guy on a metal spinboard in a wet gutter, you can bet it was a chorus line of us getting up and out when they yelled "CLEAR!".

Who are you working with? This seems to be a HORRIBLE idea.