anybody see the advertisements for 'the moment of truth' on fox

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As well lie detectors are fallible. I have taken one for an EMS position with a Police Department. The questions that was asked I displayed troubles with was that I had a criminal history, a homosexual and beat my wife and was mean to animals... Wow!

This was all news to me! Of course, they had to agree that it was faulty at best.. all disproved in my background check. The problem I have now is when so many acquisitions is made of such a test, one that cannot even be used in a Court of Law.

So now, we have a television show that uses such for ratings. Yes, the participants know the questions before they sit down.. as discussed it is all for show. So there is no surprises.

Truthfully, has anyone can really describe "that one has not touched a person more than their job requires?"... I have, yes I have assisted them in the truck, held their hand when crying, or even squeezed their hand and winked telling them it will be okay.. Sure, that is "more than the job requires"... As well, those questions are asked and written by their so called friends.. someone has dirt on them.

Unfortunately, it was one of our own. Where nursing has been one of the highest regarded in trust, I wished we could say the same for EMT's. Even the public accepts it is a routine thing for "Paramedics to steal of the injured".. What is worse, we appear not to care when our image is tarnished. Yes, most have short term memory of the show, but the impact with repeated innuendos is lasting...

R/r 911

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
most of you are making assumptions, which is never a good idea.

your assuming that the person shown is actually an emt...

Good point.

They mentioned his name at the beginning. I looked at the NREMT website and he is not on there. They could've changed his name though...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
OP
OP
jazminestar

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
What is worse, we appear not to care when our image is tarnished. Yes, most have short term memory of the show, but the impact with repeated innuendos is lasting...

R/r 911

thanks rid.....this was my point, it doesn't matter if you watch t.v, if you think it's fake or set up, the point is that the very ideas they are putting i peoples heads have lasting effects, and it sucks that ANYTHING negative would be broadcast during prime time t.v viewing......... <_< like at work, nobody recongnizes (maybe they do but not often)the good things we do, but all it would take is for one duty sup, captin or chief to see us do something that was wrong and how long does it take to prove ourselves??:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Images are lasting. Like it or not. The funeral science business have been fighting this as well. Think of a mortician and one usually thinks of a cold, creepy frail man, that is dis-honest. When in fact, I know of Paramedic that has a B.S. degree in Funeral Science, and she is f-a-r from that image.

When one thinks of a persons geography, one may assume that image that is always placed. For example someone from New Jersey or New York is not always uncaring and brash, those from the South may have a draw on their dialect, but this does not make them uneducated or stupid, and not everyone from California has seen a movie star or drive down Rodeo drive. Yet, just ask your patients the first thing they can describe a used car dealer as, or an attorney, then ask about a surgeon... did you automatically see a male?

Recently, I discussed professionalism with some local educators. We all agreed that is something we lack and unfortunately teach enough of. How many State Troopers do you see unkempt or can see drinking that large slurpee in their patrol at night? Ever seen a physician argue with another physician in front of other staff members? ..

So yes, everything we do and don't do .. can present an image to the public. Remember they are the ones that will either support us or be apathetic about our profession.
R/r 911

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Human nature on the big wide screen.....

Reality shows........ :glare:I would rather read a good book!! ;)

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
well i love how the episode first has an EMT, then a volly firefighter, seems like the are shooting to destroy the images of people in two public service departments. Personally after watching part of that show it makes me sick. especially since the EMT knows the question they will ask ahead of time, would her really risk his job on that?

OP
OP
jazminestar

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
the guy, (emt) was such a douchey (that's short for douche bag), and so was the volly f/f.....this chick cheated on her cpr test to pass, has set fires to someone personal property.....good larwd! geez....i think i lost a few brain cells tonight......

back to the laker game!!! 6pt lead 21.1 seconds left....GO LAKERS!

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
My experience in EMS completely agrees with Rid's assessment of professionalism lacking in EMS. I've never seen it this bad before.

Slovenly attired responders are more common in my travels as a photographer, especially since many providers have replaced their duty shirts to T-shirts. Obese medics look even more obese stretching one of these on. Now take this image and don't shave for a day or two and maybe add some piercings sticking out of their face and you have scene of something that I see more than I care to admit.

When someone calls for an ambulance, especially if it's their first time, it is one of the most profound experiences of their lifetime and one that will leave a lifelong impression. And when they see the medics come through the door, that image too is one they will remember.

Now here's a stat you can bank on. If the patient, family, etc. have a positive experience with the medics, on the average they will share that positive experience with 4 other individuals. But if the experience is one that leaves a negative impression, on the average they will share that negative experience with 20 individuals over the course of their lifetime.

So, there clearly is a return on investment so to speak for positive professionalism in the EMS industry. And until this industry "wakes up" to this often neglected aspect of the business, EMS will continue to struggle with it's professional scrutiny within the community and associated services.

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
I refuse to watch crap like that.

Agreed. They just keep pumping shows out like that and it cheapens television more than it already is.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Did he admit to falsifying documents?

What does he define as that?

Forging a signature.... or was it saying that the patient had a medical reason they were unable to sign... when he forgot or didn't feel like getting a signature.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
As well lie detectors are fallible. I have taken one for an EMS position with a Police Department. The questions that was asked I displayed troubles with was that I had a criminal history, a homosexual and beat my wife and was mean to animals... Wow!
**laugh** That's funny. I failed the 'your name is . . . [insert test subject's name here]. . ' question, the 'are you divorced' question [which I was at the time], the 'have you done illegal drugs' question [I admitted having smoked pot, but the test said I was lying about that, huh?], and one or two others that were just ludacrious.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
So, there clearly is a return on investment so to speak for positive professionalism in the EMS industry. And until this industry "wakes up" to this often neglected aspect of the business, EMS will continue to struggle with it's professional scrutiny within the community and associated services.
I wholeheartedly, 100 percent agree with you that slovenly appearance is detrimental to our profession. I wish I could get most of my squad members to realize when you have 50 pounds of gut hanging out OVER your your pants and you're shirt is tucked 1/2 way in on one side and not at all on the other then the public sees that and thinks, 'do I want THAT showing up in my doorstep when I call 911 for aid? No, I don't.' You don't see State Troopers lookin' like crap when they come barreling out of the patrol car after a 45 minute high speed, adrenaline filled chase. Maybe after s/he dives on someone, but they don't stay unkempt for long.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Reality TV has nothing to do with reality! We could change the image of EMS providers globally and a sleaze bag TV network would still find the one bad apple in the barrel to portray the entire system as corrupt. It's what they do! Precisely why my TV is used primarily for watching DVDs and doesn't hook up to any networks.

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
Just to add a little something and a get a little off track. I find FOX to be one of the worst networks on TV. Even though just about all news stations spew crap on their network, FOX is one of the biggest culprits of this. Not to mention all the "reality" TV shows they come up with each year. Just annoys me. But thats just me. So I wouldn't take anything that FOX has to say to heart. -_-

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I wholeheartedly, 100 percent agree with you that slovenly appearance is detrimental to our profession. I wish I could get most of my squad members to realize when you have 50 pounds of gut hanging out OVER your your pants and you're shirt is tucked 1/2 way in on one side and not at all on the other then the public sees that and thinks, 'do I want THAT showing up in my doorstep when I call 911 for aid? No, I don't.' You don't see State Troopers lookin' like crap when they come barreling out of the patrol car after a 45 minute high speed, adrenaline filled chase. Maybe after s/he dives on someone, but they don't stay unkempt for long.

yeah i have to agree the professionalism is dieing, it saddens me, I still take pride in what i do, some of my fellow emts are defiantly guilty of this, they always wonder why I stay in uniform with every call. Cause i think the image you present if important. I helps give the pt confidence that you know what you are doing. I know fellow emts who don't even put their uniform shift on, they just put on their EMT jacket and zip it up so your cant tell they arent wearing their uniform....until the start getting sweaty and can't take the jacket off cause they just have a t-shirt on underneath pt love the sweat touch of any emt...., that Is something i try to avoid, i just think its lazyness and a lack of professionalism

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I wouldn't take anything FOX has to say . . . . . . . PERIOD. :p
Hey... Fox news is news from a certain political POV... but at least they admit it!

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't take anything FOX has to say . . . . . . . PERIOD. :p

Ha. Yeah. Theres only about 3 shows I like on that network. 24, The Simpsons, and Family Guy. If there not on, im not watching TV or im tuned to something else. ^_^