1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Store is open, now with t-shirts and keychains. Click on STORE in the top menu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Any interesting anecdotes about interference with patient care from a CNA, lifegurad, etc.?

Discussion in 'BLS Discussion' started by Tachy55, Mar 15, 2017.

1. gonefishing

gonefishing Forum Deputy Chief

Not in a million years. Way to hit close to home there. What I ment was keep everyone on the same page and like the fonz. Whats the fonz like? Cool! Everyones gonna be cool!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2. EpiEMS

EpiEMS Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    @VentMonkey You're totally right about their workload - and you're also absolutely right about being non-judgemental. I try to keep the chortling for the truck (only snapped once - 20 minutes ago he was at an SPo2 of 96%? Come on, this guy is satting at 70% on 6 lpm.)

3. Tachy55

Tachy55 Forum Ride Along

Education:
    EMT
    Very respectable rhetoric. Thanks for that.

4. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Crackpot Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    My point remains. I had to watch the matriarch of our family die a slow miserable death; finally coded and died...Thanksgiving day the year I was in didactic, so yes it sucks, anyhow...

Some of these workers are hard working, sure they may not be up to par on what we do, but it isn't their specialty. They really do grow to bond with their patients, and for some of them, it's all they have; I've seen it.

I'm just trying to open up young impressionable minds to insight perhaps they never thought of; won't that do more good than poking fun at what we may not understand?:)

gonefishing likes this.
  5. gonefishing

Yes I see your point. They are with these people day and day out and form a bond and thats my point try to keep everything smooth and cool.

6. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Crackpot Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Sooo, just like any code, right??;)

7. gonefishing

Of couse lol

8. MMohler

MMohler Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    I will forever remember this when it happens.

9. Bullets

Bullets Forum Knucklehead

Education:
    EMT
    Thankfully, last year our lifeguards were transitioned into the newly created municipal "department of EMS" So they get training from us at the beginning of the season and are encouraged to ride out with us once or twice. This helped greatly when we go to the beach for calls.

SNFs, just smile and wave....

10. EpiEMS

Education:
    EMT
    @Bullets, are they under medical control? What's their cert level, EMR?

11. Tigger

Tigger Dodges Pucks Community Leader

Education:
    Paramedic
    It's weird, most around here don't really have an issue with "lower certifications." I mean, they called us after all, most are happy we're there.

Summit and VentMonkey like this.
  12. agregularguy

agregularguy Forum Crew Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    I know the rest of the thread has already kinda moved past this post, but I really wanted to highlight this post because I really like it.
    I know both I and my crew mates have previously **** on CNAs for their quality of care (which don't get me wrong, sometimes goes beyond the negligent scope) but your post really brought that into perspective. In the end, we both have jobs to do, and some of them take care of a lot more patients at once than I do most days! We all are trying to provide care for our patients, whether it be at the CNA level, EMT level, Medic level or one of those levels with aspirations to go higher. While yes, they are usually definitely lacking in certain parts of prehospital care, that's what we're there for, not them. So if they've never done CPR properly, teach them! Never bagged properly? Teach them! We get the opportunity to see and do a lot more emergent pre-hospital care than they do.. instead of being all pissy with them, take that time to teach them. That way, in the future, while they will still be calling you for emergent care, maybe they'll have made more of a difference than standing around doing inadequate CPR (if any)

Summit and VentMonkey like this.
  13. hometownmedic5

hometownmedic5 Forum Captain

Education:
    Paramedic
    I can't really say I've had trouble with lower level providers. As said, they called us and are usually pretty good about getting out of the way once we turn up.

Now, higher level providers, that's another kettle of fish entirely. While not a daily occurrence, I think we've all come across a dr or nurse(more nurses in my experience) who hurts so much more than they help things. I try to get them to back off as professionally as possible, until it becomes a problem and then they get told point blank to get out of the way.

14. Bullets

Education:
    EMT
    No, but to be a Lt or Captain they require EMT. About half are EMTs who volunteer with a squad. Those who aren't get the Red Cross first aid class. NJ doesn't recognize EMR as a level of training

15. EpiEMS

Education:
    EMT
    Just thinking out loud here...I have a lot of friends and family members who are physicians. Aside from the EM folks, they all tell me that they would be basically useless at an out of hospital emergency scene - so they'd rather leave it to us. The only one of them whom I think might be underrating his abilities is the critical care peds doc...

Oh, NJ, magical NJ. So there is no oversight for providers below EMT?

16. Bullets

Education:
    EMT
    For what? There is no level of care below EMT in the eyes of the state DOH. You could take ARCs First Aid Class but it's not a recognized certification. No one offers the national EMR class. Lifeguards etc are basically good Samaritans under the law.

17. EpiEMS

Education:
    EMT
    That's interesting - just kinda strange that there is no EMR level. Don't NJ volley services often have "driver only" members? So wouldn't you want them to be at least EMRs?

18. Bullets

Education:
    EMT
    No, i want them to be EMTs. In this state, there is no need for EMR. We have to many hospitals and are too densely populated to warrant EMRs. EMT is 120 hours of class, how much more watered down can you make it? Just give everyone the Boy Scout merit badge at that point. Even PDs encourage their officers to go to EMT class

19. SAREMT

SAREMT Forum Probie

Education:
    EMT
    I have no idea what this person's certification was or where she worked, but I one time was screamed at by a "nurse" that I didn't know what I was doing and that I couldn't possibly be getting a blood pressure without a stethoscope while I palpated a blood pressure in the middle of a crowd at a large music festival (only BLS gear). I found that to be pretty humorous.

20. rescue1

rescue1 Forum Captain

I remember blowing the minds of upper year medical students when I demonstrated how to palp a BP at a clinic event. It's not really something docs would learn until intern year and beyond, but at the time it was pretty funny.

EpiEMS and SAREMT like this.