Any EMT-P going to PA School?

Bubba12253

Forum Crew Member
Hey,

I was wondering if any of you guys, either EMT or EMT-P are thinking of moving into the PA profession?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Yes. I am.

OP
OP
B

Bubba12253

Forum Crew Member
What's your status? Have you taken the pre-req's? In PA school?

I'm currently finishing my degree in health sciences and getting my EMT-B, hoping to get my paramedic practice for a little while and apply.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes, by the end of next year I hope to both a BA and the necessary prereqs for PA programs. I'll definitely have the BA, the question is what is needed beyond 2 semesters chem, 2 bio, psych, sociology, calc, and stats. Many programs have their own requirements of course, so I plan to use community college for any additional classes.

I might also pursue nursing or medic school, all depends on what happens after graduation.

I plan on moving on to PA after medic school. The beauty of California........you don't need a Bachelor's to be a PA.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
B, not P, but working on applications now for 2013.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
I plan on moving on to PA after medic school. The beauty of California........you don't need a Bachelor's to be a PA.

Same here but I plan on applying as an EMT. All I need left is about 1500 hours of HCE and I will have everything I need to apply. And no there are a few programs in CA that offer a PA-C. No BA/BS needed.

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, by the end of next year I hope to both a BA and the necessary prereqs for PA programs. I'll definitely have the BA, the question is what is needed beyond 2 semesters chem, 2 bio, psych, sociology, calc, and stats. Many programs have their own requirements of course, so I plan to use community college for any additional classes.

I might also pursue nursing or medic school, all depends on what happens after graduation.

Be careful ascertaining too many credits via community college. Some places want at least "x" amount of credit hours from a 4 year university. When I got my BSN, I had to take a bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: class at the uni I was going to because of their little stipulation that I didn't pay attention to. I used the community college for as much as I could because obviously the prices are much more manageable

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant

For real?

OP
OP
B

Bubba12253

Forum Crew Member
What university's have those PA programs that don't require BA/BS? I'd like to know their passing rate for the PANCE exam.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
What university's have those PA programs that don't require BA/BS? I'd like to know their passing rate for the PANCE exam.

Stanford doesn't, technically, however entrance to the program is clearly competitive, so take that with a grain of salt.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Be careful ascertaining too many credits via community college. Some places want at least "x" amount of credit hours from a 4 year university. When I got my BSN, I had to take a bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: class at the uni I was going to because of their little stipulation that I didn't pay attention to. I used the community college for as much as I could because obviously the prices are much more manageable

Yea, I am a bit worried about that. I am getting a non-science degree in 2013 so there is a limit to how much time I can spend on the science requirements during my undergrad. I'm also a little outgunned by the difficulty of my science programs right now, it would not be sustainable from a GPA perspective to take say orgo where I am now.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Stanford doesn't, technically, however entrance to the program is clearly competitive, so take that with a grain of salt.

Most medical schools technically only require 90 semester units, but I wouldn't want to play the admissions game without an undergrad degree.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I've found there are relatively few PA programs that require some/all prerequisites to be from 4-year schools, although they do exist, and of course the majority are now Master's programs requiring some form of bachelor's.

More common is simply requiring XYZ courses, some of which you may have taken and some of which you probably won't. It's a good idea to look at which programs interest you now so you won't be slapping your forehead at application time, wishing you'd taken genetics or something.

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
Here in Texas you don't actually have to have a B.S. degree to get your P.A.

Texas Tech has a program in Midland that doesn't require the B.S.

Yes, I myself am considering P.A. However, I've noted that the only difference in pre-reqs for P.A. and D.O. are 2 physics courses. I'm starting to think to myself "why the hell not?"

OP
OP
B

Bubba12253

Forum Crew Member
Here in Texas you don't actually have to have a B.S. degree to get your P.A.

Texas Tech has a program in Midland that doesn't require the B.S.

Yes, I myself am considering P.A. However, I've noted that the only difference in pre-reqs for P.A. and D.O. are 2 physics courses. I'm starting to think to myself "why the hell not?"

That's not the only difference. Orgo II & labs, and also its recommended you take Biochemistry as well.

PA is a two year program, which limits the amount of debt you acquire versus med school, which is about 200k. The difference in debt and how much time it will take to pay off the difference of about 140-160k is something to take into account especially if your older.

Med School is for the people who can't work underneath anyone. (Type A)

PA School is for the people who want to practice medicine, change their scope of practice, and have a balanced life.

Side Note: PA's can open their own practice (regulations depend on the state) as long as they have a MD/DO review charts.

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
I've been thinking about PA school. The only problem is I graduated with my bachelors degree almost 10 years ago now so I will have to retake all the awesome hard classes like Micro, genetics, A&P etc. Major suck factor.
Anyone know of any PA programs that don't have time limits on their prereqs?

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
I've been thinking about PA school. The only problem is I graduated with my bachelors degree almost 10 years ago now so I will have to retake all the awesome hard classes like Micro, genetics, A&P etc. Major suck factor.
Anyone know of any PA programs that don't have time limits on their prereqs?

I may be wrong here, but many universities only consider the 5 year rule while you're working toward the degree. Since you have already ascertained the degree I would think they would look at the degree in its entirety as opposed to class by class.

I think you may have it whipped already.