Another New Medical Show: HawthoRNe

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Just don't watch the show if it upsets you that much. If you find so many things wrong with it, why didn't you just change the channel?

I watched the episodes so far hoping it would get better. I've seen other shows where the first episode or two were bad but then the show improved. That is why I have continued to watch and see if it is going to turn around. As you said, if it doesn't improve, I'll watch something else.

You seem to have spent a lot of time and effort watching and critiquing a show that you dislike

I spent a fair amount of time reading on it because I thought at first maybe I was being excessively harsh, but it seems 99% of the critics out there have skewered the show for exactly the same reasons I have.

I am also over 20 years older than you as are probably many of the viewers of this show

Actually most of the viewers are 18-49. The viewer stats are readily available online.

If you can not see beyond just the fluff stuff...don't watch the show.

I can see past it, but it's the distracting factors that make it hard to watch. It's like trying to birdwatch with Pantera blaring in your ears.

Living wills, healthcare costs, termination of life support and organ procurement are more related to my profession and life.

Likewise. You seem to think I'm your average 29 year old. Nothing could be further from the truth. However, this will be my final comment on this unless you have something further you need/want my input on or unless I find a good reason to chime back in.

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Actually most of the viewers are 18-49. The viewer stats are readily available online.

My age is not within that group. Does that mean I am not supposed to watch the show? I wasn't polled.

I can see past it, but it's the distracting factors that make it hard to watch. It's like trying to birdwatch with Pantera blaring in your ears.

Just don't watch the show. Change the channel. Do not offend those who may want to watch it or who happen to be older than those some poll says is watching.

I spent a fair amount of time reading on it because I thought at first maybe I was being excessively harsh, but it seems 99% of the critics out there have skewered the show for exactly the same reasons I have.

You are greatly exaggerating but then me and my age group may not read the same websites and reviews that you and your age group do.

I don't know what else to say to you but DON'T WATCH THE SHOW if you do not like it.

You've done page long posts and we get it...YOU DON'T LIKE THE SHOW!!!

CHANGE THE CHANNEL! It is that easy to avoid a TV show you don't like.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, I'll throw in my two cents before this thread gets locked.

Personally, I think it's a bit too dramatic. Overall, it's alright. It's not something I'd go out of my way to watch though.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I like it. It's on my DVR. Nurse Jackie was ridiculous, seemed like it was trying to be House, RN.

The acting isn't the greatest, and it leaves a little to be desired, but you can't go looking for shows to be entirely accurate, that would be boring. Think of yourself shadowing a floor or even an ED RN for a day, do you think it's entertaining enough to be a TV show? Probably not. Here, if I shadowed a nurse manager I'd probably sit in his/her office most of the day. Think that would get a lot of views as a TV show?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Hmm.. I'm downloading the first two episodes to see how I like it. Thanks for the new show tip :D Almost done with Grey's Anatomy up to this point, so I need something else to watch. Especially since I'm sitting in the hopsital doing nothing right now.

Anyone know if the old show Paramedics can be found for download anywhere?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Nurse Jackie was ridiculous, seemed like it was trying to be House, RN.

Simply put, I felt the exactly same way about Hawthorne. It seemed like it was trying to be Mother Teresa, RN.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Simply put, I felt the exactly same way about Hawthorne. It seemed like it was trying to be Mother Teresa, RN.

To each their own. I like it! :p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It reminded me of why I did I went into nursing. Unfortunately, today nurses are no longer allowed to be that way. It would be nice to be humanistic and caring; the way it should be.

You enter most ICU and ED's you probably will see many nurses appearing frustrated due to the workload or some other frustration. It's not that they don't want to it's just difficult. One of the reason I now prefer the unit over ER. At least you can spend some time with your patient and their family (maybe too much time) problem is though the acuity level can make you drained.

I have just watched the first half of one episode. Over all... not too bad. A little sappy maybe but rather for that than to be portrayed the other way. At least their not showing nurse Cratchett or "bubble heads.. yes Dr!"...And alike I said, may even spark those in nursing to remember why they went into it.

I only watched nurse Jackie once. I understand the problems occur but as I have to say nurses police their own much better than those in EMS. I did like the portrayal though that it demonstrated clinical experience and knowledge should be listened to other than the "because I'm am a M.D.". I have seen too many numerous errors solely based upon that type of attitude and poor decision making of very similar situations. In real life, the nurse would learn the system on how to get the resident so overwhelmed, fired or shuffled out.

I like House because of the cases and yes the character but realize in real life, he would not last 15 minutes in the profession. No hospital would accept his behavior or methodology, no matter how good he was.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
My age is not within that group. Does that mean I am not supposed to watch the show? I wasn't polled.
You're a teenager?!? Does your mom know you're on this forum?

I like House because of the cases and yes the character but realize in real life, he would not last 15 minutes in the profession. No hospital would accept his behavior or methodology, no matter how good he was.

R/r 911

House became my hero during my rehabilitation. I really identified with him walking around with a cane and a limp calling everyone idiots. He was my idol.

medic417

The Truth Provider
House became my hero during my rehabilitation. I really identified with him walking around with a cane and a limp calling everyone idiots. He was my idol.

Do you like the happy pills as much as he does?:p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
House became my hero during my rehabilitation. I really identified with him walking around with a cane and a limp calling everyone idiots.

Naww... that's was just an excuse. You & I do that without the cane and limp... :D

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator: