Another Florida EMS goes Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

atropine

Forum Captain
Are you one of those LA FFs that are now going to tell us all about the money you make and the hot babes you bed?

I think I have already read some of your posts on another forum as well your comment about women and no pants on this one.

Yes, you would be the one that gives professional FF/Paramedics a bad rep.

I liked to know how I make the profession a bad rep, but at least you got that right FF/Paramedic is a profession.

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
So if it was the norm in their culture, that makes it right? Do I really have to bring up numerous other embarrassing cultural norms from our species' storied past?

I idolize Johnny and Roy too. However, whenever they go on a fire call, I fall asleep in front of the TV.

Enough FF bashing for one thread.

I posted the thread because some have been wondering when this would finally go through in Polk County. The next area to watch is Pinellas County and Sunstar. Right or wrong you are not the one to determine that.

As Bledsoe said in his article, Paramedics need to come together as professionals regardless of the system they work for if they are dealing with patient care.

OP
OP
V

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I liked to know how I make the profession a bad rep, but at least you got that right FF/Paramedic is a profession.

It is a profession but that does not always mean those that do it are professional. Some are in it just for the money and the chicks. They have no interest in being either a FF or a Paramedic.

Last edited by a moderator:

atropine

Forum Captain
I do ,agree with you vent on this one paramedics do need to come together, now to what extent I do not know, I can say that thing are not going to change anytime soon wat least in the area where I work( fire based ems), where the EMSA and suntars are who knows what those fates will be?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Should we care who handles EMS if its done professionaly?

atropine

Forum Captain
Should we care who handles EMS if its done professionaly?

No we should not care, but I am one of those people who think nothing will change, ems is just one of those things where companies, cities, counties will just try to fing the cheapist way to run the show, so no matter how much education you hav:pe wages and benifits are not going to change, but that's just my opion.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Hmm. Looks like there could be jobs opening up.

My timeframe for moving back could be accelerated.....

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Are you one of those LA FFs that are now going to tell us all about the money you make and the hot babes you bed?

I think I have already read some of your posts on another forum as well your comment about women and no pants on this one.

Yes, you would be the one that gives professional FF/Paramedics a bad rep.

At least he spelled "atropine" correctly. :blush:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
46Young, are those $$$'s, benefits, pension, DROP, working conditions and such also aren't worth having to join the bucket brigade and going running into burning buildings? Or sitting back and watching firefighters who run a tenth of your call volume make twice as much as you? Or having to bear witness to sub-par paramedics who are paramedics just because they want to ride in a shiny wed fire twuck?

The $$$'s, benefits, pension, DROP, working conditions and such could be there on the third service, private, and hospital based as well if people realized the grave injustices fire-based EMS does to them and demanded a third service.

I've tried both hospital based EMS and third service EMS. The salary, benefits, etc. etc. will never compare to fire based EMS, especially regarding working conditions, save some depts in the pacific northwest. There are depts that have single role medics. I joined Fairfax both for the desire to do both EMS and suppression, as well as the desire to be financially comfortable. Many of us have entered the field to help others. I'm not doing this for free, however. This is what I do to support my family. I moved out at 22 y/o and worked several jobs to survive. I'm not going to work EMS as a career for peanuts. Compare general job satisfaction, burnout, and attrition between fire based and others. If there were third service agencies in existence that had comparable conditions, I would have been perfectly happy there. They don't exist. It's just how it is. As far as call volume, the medic runs 4-12 in 24 hours, the ALS engine runs 3-10 calls daily. We did 1 1/2 hrs of PT, ate an uninterrupted dinner, watched Borat in the evening, and slept most of the night. That generally doesn't happen with third service, unless you're out in God's country. I identified the superior benefits to the employee in fire based EMS, at least in Fairfax. I'm rubbing it in because you were sarcastic and bitter, with a hint of jealousy, with the one tenth call volume making twice as much comment. It would be great if EMS only could have a better deal, as there is much abuse, burnout, ridiculous call volume, and general lack of morale. I don't see that happening anytime soon, however. Do something about it instead of whining.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
At least he spelled "atropine" correctly. :blush:
On another forum he misspelled the drug he chose for a name there.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I have no problem with FFs. If my house is burning down, I want a firefighter, who focuses all his time and all his training on BEING A FIREFIGHTER. If I'm having a heart attack, I want a paramedic who focuses all his time and all his training on BEING A PARAMEDIC. I want a master of the trade at hand, not a jack of all, master of none. It's just like using the right tool for the job. Sure, a pair of pliers may allow you to tighten the nut, but would it do the job like a perfectly-fitting wrench?

You do this all the time, address half my points, resort to NUMEROUS logical fallacies (usually strawmen, appeals to ridicule, or ad hominems), then declare that I am not worth having an argument with.

And since we've reduced the discussion to claims of bias, I have to ask, what is your problem with private third service medics? The fact that they view healthcare as a business and treat it as such? The fact that if they handled all the EMS, the Fire Department would have to cut significant numbers and resources?
In NY, third service agencies such as Transcare(Metrocare), Jamaica/Flushing/Brookdale hosps.(I worked per diem for them), AMR, St. Johns, and the like have ongoing problems with pt steering. Insured pts go to their hosps. and uninsured pts go to city hospitals. Equipment can be subpar, and so can the quality of the provider. Private EMS is known for having crappy pay and benefits. These agencies are generally regarded as stepping stone jobs. Burning out employees is no problem when there are many more available to backfill. What's the advantage to treating healthcare as a business, from the employees end? You know any profits will be retained for the service's owner.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I've tried both hospital based EMS and third service EMS. The salary, benefits, etc. etc. will never compare to fire based EMS, especially regarding working conditions, save some depts in the pacific northwest. There are depts that have single role medics. I joined Fairfax both for the desire to do both EMS and suppression, as well as the desire to be financially comfortable. Many of us have entered the field to help others. I'm not doing this for free, however. This is what I do to support my family. I moved out at 22 y/o and worked several jobs to survive. I'm not going to work EMS as a career for peanuts. Compare general job satisfaction, burnout, and attrition between fire based and others. If there were third service agencies in existence that had comparable conditions, I would have been perfectly happy there. They don't exist. It's just how it is. As far as call volume, the medic runs 4-12 in 24 hours, the ALS engine runs 3-10 calls daily. We did 1 1/2 hrs of PT, ate an uninterrupted dinner, watched Borat in the evening, and slept most of the night. That generally doesn't happen with third service, unless you're out in God's country. I identified the superior benefits to the employee in fire based EMS, at least in Fairfax. I'm rubbing it in because you were sarcastic and bitter, with a hint of jealousy, with the one tenth call volume making twice as much comment. It would be great if EMS only could have a better deal, as there is much abuse, burnout, ridiculous call volume, and general lack of morale. I don't see that happening anytime soon, however. Do something about it instead of whining.

The salary, benefits, etc., are not worth having to work out of a firehouse, or be asked if you are a firefighter, or be called a firefighter. Not to me, anyway. I'm willing to take a pay-cut and have second-rate benefits so that I don't have to fight fires, I don't have to listen to firefighters, be anywhere near firefighters, and not be called a firefighter. The only reason Fire-Based EMS has such superior benefits is government backing. The only reason Fire Departments have EMS is $$$ or as an archaic relic of yesteryear. If private ambulances handled all of the 911s in New York City, how many calls a year would FDNY respond to? How many FDNY firefighter jobs would be cut? Am I jealous of firefighters? Hell yes, I am. They run a tenth of the calls I do, and spend the rest of the time watching "training videos", or "Washing the rigs" (i.e. standing outside the station and flirting with attractive passerbys). Meanwhile, the paramedics are running their asses off all day long. In FDNY, the FF salary is $49,480 when you factor base and fringe. Paramedics start at $37,346. So yes, I am jealous, especially when they pull crap like making "firefighter" a rung on the promotional ladder... ABOVE "PARAMEDIC", NO LESS!! And what do you suggest I do about it? With so many in EMS being perfectly fine with being lumped into the Fire Service, how is any significant movement supposed to take place?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
The salary, benefits, etc., are not worth having to work out of a firehouse, or be asked if you are a firefighter, or be called a firefighter. Not to me, anyway. I'm willing to take a pay-cut and have second-rate benefits so that I don't have to fight fires, I don't have to listen to firefighters, be anywhere near firefighters, and not be called a firefighter. The only reason Fire-Based EMS has such superior benefits is government backing. The only reason Fire Departments have EMS is $$$ or as an archaic relic of yesteryear. If private ambulances handled all of the 911s in New York City, how many calls a year would FDNY respond to? How many FDNY firefighter jobs would be cut? Am I jealous of firefighters? Hell yes, I am. They run a tenth of the calls I do, and spend the rest of the time watching "training videos", or "Washing the rigs" (i.e. standing outside the station and flirting with attractive passerbys). Meanwhile, the paramedics are running their asses off all day long. In FDNY, the FF salary is $49,480 when you factor base and fringe. Paramedics start at $37,346. So yes, I am jealous, especially when they pull crap like making "firefighter" a rung on the promotional ladder... ABOVE "PARAMEDIC", NO LESS!! And what do you suggest I do about it? With so many in EMS being perfectly fine with being lumped into the Fire Service, how is any significant movement supposed to take place?

Another bitter, jealous MUTT.
FTM-PTB.
The FDNY would not loose fireman positions.
EMT and Medic, yes, but not Fire.
Before you go spouting off on the finest trained, as well as one of the most gracious Fire Depts I have had the pleasure of encountering, how about you educate yourself on their innerworkings?
I work for a hospital based ALS provider, as well as a fire dept, doing BLS and fire.
Depending on the day worked, and event on said day, generally the down time between the two are the same. Only difference is at the Fire Dept, I have 7 of my Brothers to hangout with, and a larger area to roam around in to pass the time.
If one of my medic units put a bench out front where I could sit to pass time, I sure would.

But hey, you live in PA. Only good thing to come from your state is PSU, the Philly sports teams, PFD, and the cheese steak.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Another bitter, jealous MUTT.

Ad hominem.

Appeal to emotion.

The FDNY would not loose fireman positions.
EMT and Medic, yes, but not Fire.

EMT and Medic, yes, thank God. Then maybe they could do the job they want to do without having to listen to Bugles.

Why wouldn't they lose firefighter positions? Without EMS, what would FDNY's call volume be? Lower call volumes mean less active, and less active warrants fewer tax dollars.

Before you go spouting off on the finest trained, as well as one of the most gracious Fire Depts I have had the pleasure of encountering, how about you educate yourself on their innerworkings?

An opinion not based in logic, followed by another appeal to emotion, and an appeal to authority.

I work for a hospital based ALS provider, as well as a fire dept, doing BLS and fire.
Depending on the day worked, and event on said day, generally the down time between the two are the same. Only difference is at the Fire Dept, I have 7 of my Brothers to hangout with, and a larger area to roam around in to pass the time.

Another appeal to emotion. They aren't your brothers. Close friends and co-workers, maybe, but not brothers.

But hey, you live in PA. Only good thing to come from your state is PSU, the Philly sports teams, PFD, and the cheese steak.

And another ad hominem.

So in one post, you made two ad hominem attacks, three appeals to emotion, an appeal to authority, and an opinion. Real convincing arguments you made. I may have to rethink my life now.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
That's enough of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.