Anesthesiologist vs. CRNA

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
In the strangest of strange twists, the VA will grant independent practice rights to all APNs.... EXCEPT CRNAs!

Which is very strange given the amount of autonomy given to CRNAs in the military. On a side note you can actually go through the Army's CRNA school as a VA employee with a commitment to the VA. That is something I still consider every now and then, the education and experience of USAGPAN is extremely appealing to me.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
On a side note you can actually go through the Army's CRNA school as a VA employee with a commitment to the VA. That
Is that school still at Northeastern Univ.?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Is that school still at Northeastern Univ.?

Yes it is affiliated with them but I believe all the classes are actually on base.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Which is very strange given the amount of autonomy given to CRNAs in the military. On a side note you can actually go through the Army's CRNA school as a VA employee with a commitment to the VA. That is something I still consider every now and then, the education and experience of USAGPAN is extremely appealing to me.
Not just that but they pay for your school and while in school, they pay you your full RN salary and you earn retirement and vacation. You are guaranteed a job after.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In the strangest of strange twists, the VA will grant independent practice rights to all APNs.... EXCEPT CRNAs!

And that is an EXCELLENT example of the politics of anesthesia.

CRNA's already work independently in many VA hospitals....especially after 1500. The ASA just couldn't handle having the official policy of the VA reflect the reality of what already happens. They pulled out all the stops and played every card they had to get the rule changed to exclude CRNA's.

Last edited:

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@Remi could you share a "normal" workweek for you? Do you work RN hours(12 hr shifts) or is it like a 9-5 type thing?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In big hospitals, CRNA's commonly work shifts of varying lengths and times.

I work in a small hospital where there are only 3 of us. I get there in time to start the first case (which is usually a 0800, sometimes earlier), and I stay until the cases are done, which can be anywhere from noon-9pm. I probably average 40-50 hours a week. 5 days a week most weeks.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I work in a small hospital where there are only 3 of us.
Do you transfer many of your critical patients? If so, do you join in on the ride?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We occasionally transfer someone out after a case. I don't get to ride along, unfortunately.