"And three is five, and five is four"...

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
...and there's this guy/girl I work with and they are really a d-bag so we put a bag of IV fluid under their mattress and ran the tubing to over their head and it got them all wet when they lay down on it last night so I want to know what other station pranks you've ever heard of...

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
NO one mentioned...

Lights
Sirens
Hittig people with D cylinders

This is like psychotherapy!

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I think this says it all...

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=14237

My favs:

Hey been working a little over a week here. So when should I expect them to pay me? How much are they going to pay me? Can I take sick leave?

I was told I have to pass EMT-B class and pass some sort of test. Can you tell me where to find one of these classes, and what this test is. Also, is it possible to take this class in only a couple days? I really need to do this fast. It is all I have ever wanted to do!

Oh, wait, someone got mad at me for stopping at a car accident. i was already in my jumpsuit with integrated ANSI reflective tape. What funsuckers! I'm starting my MFR class next month, I just wanted to help!

Why is everyone here so mean? Why don't I get respected? I passed my 2 week class! I'm leaving! Harumph!!!!!!!

I just finished my 2 week class and passed the NREMT, what kind of lights/siren, trauma bag and defibrillator do you guys think I should get for my POV?

How can I get those doctors at the ER to treat me with some respect? I am a trained professional (got super good marks in my EMT class) and the most important link in the chain of survival, yet those a-holes won't listen to me when I tell them the patient needs 15 lpm on a non-rebreather.

Is there a limit on how many patches I can put on a uniform? Is it acceptable to wear long sleeves year-round so I can display more patches?

Can I show my flaming skull and naked woman tattoos while at work? It's my form of self expression and I think they're cool.

Why, after my two weeks of training, can't I intubate, defibrilate, stick needles in people, and give them all sorts of cool drugs? Seriously, who needs all that A&P stuff anyway?

Man, it would be nice to get this thread or the one I have linked above made into a sticky... LOL... Or better yet, a notice as anyone starts up a user acount: "Attention all Newbies... these question have been answered and these attitudes have been addressed... Use the Search button and refrain from asking any of these question... Check you medically-moronic attitudes at the door... Vilolaters will have no one to blame except themselves for what is to come..." LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
However, using knowledge and skill (starting an IV and pushing medications, checking pulses and confirming asystole) taught to you so that you might heal is a violation of your ethical duty as a medical provider. This is not only my opinion but the opinion of the AMA, NAEMT, and many medical ethicists.

There's a big difference between "unethical" (according to some) and "illegal". That is my point. Codes of conduct mean absolutely nothing when they lack enforceability like most do. This is why the decision should be left up to the individual to participate just as with any other situation a person may have moral objections or reservations about taking part in (abortions, assisted suicide, supportive care for patients with no hope of recovery (assuming you have someone else to hand off to), etc). It is no different you saying "I don't want to work on an execution team because it violates my standard of first, do no harm" versus my saying "I don't want to work on people who are retarded because I feel it violates my standard of not further prolonging suffering or poor quality of life and I believe it violates the standard of doing harm to extend the lives of these creatures" (by the way, I'm using this as an extreme example....no one needs to climb up my butt and pitch a tent over it).

Just for the sake of argument, then would it be ethical to teach someone those skills solely so they could function as an executioner? I would see no problem with that except for the issue of skill retention due to the insufficient rate (both from a training standpoint and otherwise) of executions in this country.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

And five is four...

Ahem...the subject was the posts, not debating their content???
USAF, show us your t-shirt!!

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
Oh, and I suppose I should poke fun at the education nazis...

One cannot expect to be considered a peer of our counterparts operating in hospitals without proper knowledge of anatomical/physiological mechanisms regarding medical and trauma-related emergencies. The primary problem with EMS is disturbingly low education standards which prevent the growth of professionalism in our field. Indeed, A&P as well as advanced pharmacology should be understood by all EMS personnel in order to properly strap someone to a backboard.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Poke fun at whomever you want!

Let's us all know what we think is important and not.
I'm a "cut to the chase" Nazi, I suppose that is funny sometimes.
;)

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
and alot of the people posting have to prove that they don't know how to use: grammar, punctuation, spell checkers, sentences and paragraphs.

1) You should capitalize the first letter of each sentence.

2) When you're criticizing someone's spelling, and lack of use of a spell checker, it's worth while to not use the most commonly misspelled word, "Alot". In fact, a lot are two separate words.

:)

JPINFV

Gadfly
1) You should capitalize the first letter of each sentence.

2) When you're criticizing someone's spelling, and lack of use of a spell checker, it's worth while to not use the most commonly misspelled word, "Alot [sic]". In fact, a lot are two separate words.

You forgot to add something there.

/Grammarwaffen

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
USAF, show us your t-shirt!!

My shirt? You're the one who had the idea. I'm just the one who decided to actually make it. :lol:

peoplewhoeatbabies.png

http://55426.spreadshirt.com/people-who-eat-babies-A5271801/customize/color/1

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Don't forget:

I'm in pain; this game is whuppin' my butt!
Suck it up.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
2) When you're criticizing someone's spelling, and lack of use of a spell checker, it's worth while to not use the most commonly misspelled word, "Alot". In fact, a lot are two separate words.

However, worthwhile is one word. Also, words evolve. It is common to use the word "till" as in, "I won't be there till 3 p.m." The correct usage should be " 'til " since it is a contraction of the word "Until". Thus, common use of the word "alot", which has become acceptable in the English language.

Just my two cents, and totally off topic.

p.s Don't confuse spelling errors with typing errors.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
p.p.s. I eat ALOT of eggs. I also occasionally eat veal. Does that mean I should die?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
p.p.s. I eat ALOT of eggs. I also occasionally eat veal. Does that mean I should die?
LOL I love veal. I was speaking of human babies. It was a reference to the "Woman kills and eats 3-month old baby" thread.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
LOL I love veal. I was speaking of human babies. It was a reference to the "Woman kills and eats 3-month old baby" thread.

I understand that. Thus the reference to veal and eggs which could be considered "babies".

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL ...and the people who take it to that extreme could be considered "****ing crackpots". ;)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Yah, i forget that alot.

But we digress.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
However, worthwhile is one word. Also, words evolve. It is common to use the word "till" as in, "I won't be there till 3 p.m." The correct usage should be " 'til " since it is a contraction of the word "Until". Thus, common use of the word "alot", which has become acceptable in the English language.

Just my two cents, and totally off topic.

p.s Don't confuse spelling errors with typing errors.

I'm not trying to nitpick here, but I do love grammatical discussions :)

The 'word' "alot" simply isn't a word. It's not acceptable in the English language

Till is a preposition and is proper English.

;)