AMR didn't hire me.

EMS25

Forum Crew Member
I took the AMR test and just got the results. They said that I didn't pass the "Phase One" of the hiring process. I knew every question on the test, so I don't know what the problem was. I cannot ask because the results of the test are confidential. So, I have to wait for six month to re-apply.
I don't think I will re-apply, this whole company seems very odd to me. :sad:

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
well the only thing that could have happened was that you didn't pass the test. there are no other variables at this point, so you must not have known the questions as well as you thought. sorry man

EMT.Hart

Forum Probie
AMR left a sour taste in my mouth aswell. In Dallas, I contacted the regional recruiting manager. After several calls to his office and an email, I got ahold of him 2 weeks after inital contact. After being informed that they were not hiring I got a call saying they were hiring and to go take the test. I called back the next day to confirm the address/date/and time the test was goin to take place and was told I could take the test but they were on a hire freeze for the next 2 months.

... Needless to say I opted out. This was over a year ago and in Texas but AMR seemed odd to me as well.

Side note: I've heard great things and bad things about the company.

Griff

Forum Crew Member
I did a rotation with AMR during Basic school and I was not impressed at all. Most of the employees at my local AMR exemplified all the negative traits one associates with poor quality EMS personnel; apathy, pessimism, incompetence, etc were pretty much the plan of the day when I went there. I'm sure (or at least hoping) that not all AMR employees are like that, but my limited experience with them left a terrible impression. From the medics and medic students I've spoken with here, that impression is mutual.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
The following post is not intended to offend anyone that works or has worked for AMR:

Im not working with AMR.... but here's my point of view from what I saw during my rotation for basic class

- There are ego's in the company, but I think that every company is gonna have a few.
- Some medics explain what they're doing and why they're doing it.... but on my rotation, the Basic was WAY MORE helpful and A LOT nicer than the Medic
-They're care is somewhat minimal in SB. Most people I saw on my rotation and in the ER just get a Peripheral IV with NS and maybe some O2.

So... in my opinion.... just a bunch of shirts with badges that load and go all their pts. Kinda like they're transporting as many patients as quickly as possible to get the most cash for corporate....

I'm not saying they're a bad company... but some of their priorities seem a bit strange.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on the station and the individual area. You cannot make generalizations about AMR any more than you can about fire departments or flight or EDs or etc. etc. etc. Check out the specific agency and location that you want to work at and do it carefully.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
That's unfortunate. Good luck finding employment elsewhere.

Saying that AMR is a bad company would be similar as saying that McDonalds is bad because of a bad experience you had. As with every large corporation, there are good and mediocre operations.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
That's unfortunate. Good luck finding employment elsewhere.

Saying that AMR is a bad company would be similar as saying that McDonalds is bad because of a bad experience you had. As with every large corporation, there are good and mediocre operations.

McDonald's food does taste pretty bad, though. But they have good sundaes. I really don't know how this is related. :p

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
The following post is not intended to offend anyone that works or has worked for AMR:

Im not working with AMR.... but here's my point of view from what I saw during my rotation for basic class

- There are ego's in the company, but I think that every company is gonna have a few.
- Some medics explain what they're doing and why they're doing it.... but on my rotation, the Basic was WAY MORE helpful and A LOT nicer than the Medic
-They're care is somewhat minimal in SB. Most people I saw on my rotation and in the ER just get a Peripheral IV with NS and maybe some O2.

So... in my opinion.... just a bunch of shirts with badges that load and go all their pts. Kinda like they're transporting as many patients as quickly as possible to get the most cash for corporate....

I'm not saying they're a bad company... but some of their priorities seem a bit strange.

That kind of treatment is due to the protocols and medical direction. Because, what else are you gonna do far a patient who calls 911 for a tooth ache. Private companies have to justify their claims with insurance company by making it seem as if their treatment was indicated. Also, recommending what would be most appropriate would be bad business and they would get the transports to make a profit.

But, with AMR. As long as you stay withing the guidelines and policies; you can determine the quality of medic/EMT you'd like to be after some time on.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
But, with AMR. As long as you stay withing the guidelines and policies; you can determine the quality of medic/EMT you'd like to be after some time on.

Absolutely correct. I am determined to provide the best possible patient care and I get nothing but support and assistance from my supervisors.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
accidental double post...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

Um, MMiz... McDonalds IS bad... ^_^
It tastes like what it is... a sack of greasy lard that should not be called food.

That said, while MMiz is correct that you can not judge a national company based on the behavior and trends you see at one Division out of Hundreads... the observations that are mentioned here jive 100% with my experiences as an indentured servant of AMR. :glare:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief

well said! That statement sums it up very well :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Um, MMiz... McDonalds IS bad... ^_^
It tastes like what it is... a sack of greasy lard that should not be called food.

That said, while MMiz is correct that you can not judge a national company based on the behavior and trends you see at one Division out of Hundreads... the observations that are mentioned here jive 100% with my experiences as an indentured servant of AMR. :glare:
I worked for AMR's main competitor, and I still thought that they ran a relatively tight operation for a private service. It seemed that they had consistent hiring standards, consistent equipment (not the best), and generally good employees.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
a couple generalizations from someone who has NEVER worked for AMR:

AMR is a for profit company, meaning they need to stay in business by answering as many calls with as few resources as possible. this leads to high call volumes per unit, and overworked employees, and high burnout rates.

pay rates tend to suck, since company profit comes above employee pay.

ambulances tend not to have the best stuff, nor are they always over equiped. again, less equipment on the ambulance translates into more money for the bottom line.

the company only makes money if they transport, so they encouraged to transport EVERYONE.

Some more generalizations:
private companies tend to be jobs, not careers. high turnover, burnout, low wages, all lead people to go elsewhere. the upside to these agencies is that you can gain experience, your coworkers will be your future connections when you want to move onto bigger and better things, and odds are, most people in the area started out working for some kinda of private company in before they moved onto bigger and better things.

plus, they tend to be easy to get into (generally, not always), so if you need a per diem job, and some extra hours during your downtime, they are almost always hiring.