AmeriCare wants to hire me, but I have another interview...

notanEMTanymore

Forum Probie
Hey guys,

So I just got offered the AmeriCare EMT-B position on Friday (July 19th), and told the HR lady that I'd get back to her on Monday after thinking about it for a little while. My interview for Premier Medical Transport is on Friday (26th) of this week, and I'm not sure what to do. Plus I will hear back from Rural Metro tomorrow (Monday). I don't know if I should accept AmeriCare...I'm totally new to EMS and I actually only plan on working as an EMT for a year before I go to medical school next summer. I have read a lot of horror stories about AmeriCare, but I wanted some more insight into the company...any advice? Thank you!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Work where the job is. After all, you're only planning on doing it for a year. And if you don't like it, go to one of the other places.

OP
OP
N

notanEMTanymore

Forum Probie
thanks DEmedic...

just out of curiosity, how is Premier Medical Transport as far as their reputation goes? I haven't found anything about them online...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have some friends that work at their Colton area. They all seem to like it. It's not the best but it is no where near the worst from what I have been told.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Americare is alot bigger than premier. At americare you have the possibility of running 911 in one of there 2 little contracts. I would just stick with americare honestly.

OP
OP
N

notanEMTanymore

Forum Probie
Thanks guys...one more question. AmeriCare said they pay 8/hr plus "incentives"..does anyone know what these incentives might be?

OP
OP
N

notanEMTanymore

Forum Probie
Thanks! Haven't heard back from Rural yet, so I'm just gonna wait until the last minute on Monday to get back to the HR person at Americare

Thanks! Haven't heard back from Rural yet, so I'm just gonna wait until the last minute on Monday to get back to the HR person at Americare

Your best bet is to call Rural and explain that you would like to work for them and that you've been offered a job at another company, and need to know if Rural is also extending you an employment offer before making your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't get the job at Rural, so Americare it is! Hopefully my experience will be great over there.

Congrats and good luck to you! I occasionally see AmeriCare running code through San Diego and wonder why. If I recall correctly, they don't have any major contracts in the county.

SoCalEMS

Forum Probie
I know people that work at both companies and from what i've heard Premier would be a better option

OP
OP
N

notanEMTanymore

Forum Probie
Lol, too bad I said yes to Americare already...I'm going to see how it is for the first few months. I have my strength test tomorrow and I'm kind of worried about it. I can deadlift 110lbs but 140 is a little tough for me. I strained my back trying to lift that much.

bobsicle

Forum Ride Along
You start off at $8.29/hr and $12.44/hr OT. After you complete EVOC you jump up to $8.54/hr and $12.81/hr.

Usually you work either 3 24's a week or 2 24's and a day car. Day cars are either 9, 10 or 10 1/2 hours. But you never get off on time on a day car. So overall pay is decent since you are working 56-72 hours a week.

OP
OP
N

notanEMTanymore

Forum Probie
So I just got back from Americare in Carson to find out that I failed the back test. They didn't bother calling me to tell me this, and they chose to tell me in front of a group of new hires. How unprofessional is that? I'm very disappointed with the fact that I had to drive all the way out to sit there for 2 minutes and be sent home. I obviously am a good candidate for an EMT position, I just could not do a back test. Big deal. Very upset about this. I'm going to work out real hard for the next month and apply to Care, a far more reputable company. Good luck to anyone who wants to apply to Americare.

OP
OP
N

notanEMTanymore

Forum Probie
Thank GOD! I got the job at Rural Metro...I had my interview 10 days ago and I thought I didn't get it since they hadn't called me back. I hear it has a much better reputation than Americare! Thank goodness, it was my first choice too! :)

Thank GOD! I got the job at Rural Metro...I had my interview 10 days ago and I thought I didn't get it since they hadn't called me back. I hear it has a much better reputation than Americare! Thank goodness, it was my first choice too! :)

Congrats! When do you start orientation?

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
So im curious how americare shifts work. Is it mostly 24's bls? They pay for 24's is 8/hr for first 12 then ot the rest? I wouldnt mind working full 24's again.